Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
OP gambled on a high deductible and lost.
Yep. Not worth gambling with wind. Pack things up, have a beer and wait it out.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #44

This is exactly why we have insurance. It’s not the job or responsibility of the park owner to determine whether it was an “act of God.” They should provide you with their insurance information and make sure everyone is ok and help clean up.

The insurance companies will sort it out. There is nothing wrong with the OP asking the park owner for his/her insurance certificate. Regardless whose fault it is, it was an accident and the park owner is required by law to provide it. None of this means there’s going to be a lawsuit, chances are the OPs insurance will cover the damage to there rig and the parks insurance will pay the deductible.

I’m not sure the OPs question warranted the level of let’s say “personal” attacks. If the account of the reaction the park owner had to this situation is accurate there’s a likelihood that the park owner doesn’t have insurance. Either way, this sucks, let the insurance companies do their job and get back to camping. That’s the piece of mind insurance is supposed to supply for both.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
If you moved the table don't sue
Very good advice
Old 01-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #46
IC2

A few thousand out of pocket for glass? Most reputable insurance companies don't invoke deductible on glass. I called the insurance company, sent them a copy of the quote and the check arrived within 3-4 days. This was from a rock thrown by a CG lawn mower on Oct 1. The window currently is enroute from Hehr. My only cost will be the diesel fuel in my pickup to get it from the freight depot.

Most CGs have a statement somewhere in the fine print they will not be resposible for damages and Acts of God is not their resposibility either
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #47

I have to agree, the park is not responsible.

About a month ago, a container vessel lost over 2000 forty foot containers off the coast of Japan. one could argue that the containers were not secured correctly for rough seas. But that is as far as they get. Shipper is not responsible due to Mother Nature. I think you experienced “rough seas”.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
A few thousand out of pocket for glass? Most reputable insurance companies don't invoke deductible on glass. I called the insurance company, sent them a copy of the quote and the check arrived within 3-4 days. This was from a rock thrown by a CG lawn mower on Oct 1. The window currently is enroute from Hehr. My only cost will be the diesel fuel in my pickup to get it from the freight depot.

Most CGs have a statement somewhere in the fine print they will not be resposible for damages and Acts of God is not their resposibility either
Depends on insurance company, and I suppose, the state you live in. I had Progressive Insurance here in Texas and did not have the "optional" glass coverage when I got one of the front windshields replaced. I run high deductibles so it was not worth it to go through the insurance company.

Needless to say, I added the optional glass coverage afterwards. It's suppose to cover all glass with no deductible. What's bad is that it only cost $44 a year,, something I'd have been glad to have paid if I had known it was available.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Most reputable insurance companies don't invoke deductible on glass.
Insurance companies are licensed and regulated by each state. The various states mandate minimum coverages. Some states, by regulation, require full coverage (no deductible) for glass coverage. Some states do not have that requirement. An insurance company can set their own policy coverages as long as they meet or exceed the state's minimum requirements.

I believe that those no deductible plans only cover "safety" glass. That is, glass that's required for safe operation of the vehicle. Not all windows in a motorhome are required for safe operation.

Of course, that's just how I understand vehicle insurance coverages. I may be wrong, and if I am, I hope someone will provide a correction.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #50

So, you didn't keep up on the local weather forecast and plan accordingly. You didn't make sure your campsite was safe for coming conditions, which you didn't pay any attention to. So, you expect the campground to cover you for your lack of planning. Good luck with that. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
+1 - Let the insurance companys sort it out.

I lived on the OR/WA coast for 12 years. A wind event is a common occurance, not an uncommon occurance.

Food for thought:

Does the RV park owner have a duty to inform guests when hazardous weather is forecast? As a ship captain, I have a duty to perfrom emergency drills with passengers and crew.

Knowing that high winds will cause park property to be missle hazards was the park owner negligent in not securing the tables before hazardous weather occured?

Lastly, remember what Mark Twain said about the weather: Everyone talks about it, no one does anything about it.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
As a member of this IRV community, I am embarrassed by some of the of the responses in this thread. You really know how to encourage people to come out of lurk mode and actively seek input.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
OP gambled on a high deductible and lost.
Not necessarily... If he saves several hundred dollars a year in premiums, and doesn't make any claims, it doesn't take too many years to come out ahead. I'm way ahead.
JK
Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #54

I did not read the entire thread. However, the many conflicting opinions and experiences are par for the course. They are all correct, and all incorrect in different cases.

That is the nature of our litigious society, confusing laws, and jury system.

Also, "Act of God" is frequently used as a legal term, not a religious statement.

Get a lower deductible insurance policy if you don't want to pay. As a financial decision, it is a lot more cost efficient.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinanne View Post
So....we’re in a RV park on the Oregon central coast...huge wind storm last night caught the heavy park picnic tables and threw them at our coach and toad.

The park owner has already said they aren’t responsible since it was an act of God....well not securing the picnic tables was an act of negligence we think...
We have a LOT window damage to the RV and our toad...our insurance companies are on it but there are a few thousand dollars of deductible that we’d like to recover...

I’d appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you.
Retribution.....start by telling us the name of the CG. They'll pay one way or the other just like Mexico paid for the wall.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
That’s act of god... be reasonable, their insurance and yours will tell you that...
How is that different from a tornado....or ever worse a Sharknado.