Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 06:37 PM   #15

When we had a gravel driveway, we parked our first two motorhomes on it. All was well. Then, we had the driveway paved. We had two sections of pavement removed and two concrete pads installed for the MH. That worked really well and was less expensive than a full-length concrete pad. Then we got a longer MH and had the concrete pads extended. I hope we're done now. ;-)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #16

Asphalt Driveway. One side has two layers of lumber to compensate the side-way slope of the driveway. So, 2 tires on asphalt, the other two on lumber.

In the past, we've parked our campers on gravel, dirt, concrete, and asphalt. But mostly, on anything not solid, ... on lumber.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #17

Parking

Cash,

You didn't say what brand you are actually buying but be aware that these rigs are definitely not made to withstand the elements uncovered. Your roof, paint, etc., will take a beating quickly parked out in the sun. Cloth covers can help but are quite a pain and will do their own damage to the finish. Just a FYI. The rigs that are not "full body paint" will see this happen even sooner. I finally gave up and pay for covered storage.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
When we had a gravel driveway, we parked our first two motorhomes on it. All was well. Then, we had the driveway paved. We had two sections of pavement removed and two concrete pads installed for the MH. That worked really well and was less expensive than a full-length concrete pad. Then we got a longer MH and had the concrete pads extended. I hope we're done now. ;-)

Intersting Concept . I may investigate that thanks.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We parked our MH in the driveway (2 car garage - wide drive) before we sold the house to go full time. However, I checked with Zoning first to be sure that was allowed. Street was 2 blocks long - there were 2 MH, a 5th wheel and a popup...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #20

Our ground is not level so I had about $4000 of earthwork done topped with white chat. The chat compacts down nicely after it gets wet a few times and of course by driving on it. I then placed a 42x20 foot stainless steel shelter with sidewalls over it. I pull in from one end and pull out the other.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #21

In my experience, it is far more important what you park under than what you park on. Anything other than soft unpacked ground is acceptable. I use compacted road base under an RV port. Tree sap, leaves, rain, snow and sun will do more harm to your coach than what the tires sit on.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #22

concrete pad with 50 amp electric, water and sewer, adjacent to our house/husbands woodworking shop.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #23

Concrete under a carport built big enough to house a 37' 5th wheel.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #24

See pg 8 of Michelin's RV Tire Guide. Regardless of what you park on, they recommend a barrier material.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

I'm also of the opinion, already expressed, that what you park UNDER is very important to the well-being of your RV long-term.

I have a motorhome shed I built that is now 48 feet long and the MH section is 16' wide (overall it's 32' wide). It's open in the front, which faces north. Originally it had two concrete pads with gravel inbetween. As I went up in MH size I blacktopped the gravel parts. I use 3/4" Marine Grade Plywood between the blacktop and the tires. 30 AMP plugin. My setup basically keeps all the elements off the MH while parked.

I have never finished the North Side entrances because technically it is not a garage if it's not fully enclosed and for property tax purposes it then carries a lot lower burden (at least that's how it's working where I am) but still provides all the needed protection.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #25
IC2

Juat a gravel pad - built up to be level with 6x6 treated then filled with 2 feet of 1/2" crushed stone then another foot of 3/4" finally topped with a pair of 2x12s lumber . It does work well for our 38 foot Montana
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #26

Thanks everyone. I was thinking a gravel pad would probably be the most cost effective short term. I'm planning to have a carport for it, but that wont come right away. I have a pretty soft yard, it would probably sink to the axles, lol. My 2500 GMC mars up a couple of inches. I'll have to see what I can do.
Cash_Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash_Mayday View Post
Thanks everyone. I was thinking a gravel pad would probably be the most cost effective short term. I'm planning to have a carport for it, but that wont come right away. I have a pretty soft yard, it would probably sink to the axles, lol. My 2500 GMC mars up a couple of inches. I'll have to see what I can do.
Use one of those plastic grids with the gravel driveway. You will kick up far less dust and have a more level parking place, and rocks wont go flying when you run over them wrong, and it drains much better..
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As you read about the various materials used, I realized that a lot has to do where you live. As we travel to a lot of areas in the country, many use asphalt and gravel versus concrete due to weather.

Out west, most people pour concrete pads as most homes have concrete drives and walks. Ours is on a concrete pad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking