Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2023, 07:34 PM   #1

Parking class A on grass parking lots?

My current class A weighs about 20k and we've made multiple trips to concerts and other things where we'd park or drive through a grass parking lot area. I have tow chains, block levelers and a couple types of things to go under the tire if we get stuck.

My new coach is much heavier and doesn't have leveling jacks so I'm more worried about getting stuck.
Captain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 PM   #2

There another similar post going on: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/some...ud-608528.html
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I can easily get stuck with 32,000 lbs...your new coach is what? 45-50 thousand? It'll get stuck on practically anything that isn't bone dry. Read that thread, when you see the costs of towing, no way would I risk it.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've rolled our 34,000 lb coach onto many a grassy site. Some were quite firm but a few that sank (rutted) noticeably. It's a judgment call before you pull in, and maybe a bit of driving technique if it's a bit soft or wet. Don't try to make sharp steering changes, try to avoid stop & go - just creep along and apply both acceleration and braking gradually. In other words, avoid disturbing the surface. Once you start to dig a hole with the wheels, you are almost surely doomed!

If you don't feel confident about judging the firmness of a grassy site, don't pull in.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:24 AM   #5

One of my hobbies is watching all the MHs (and some pickups with towables) trying to get out of the grassy parking areas at some NASCAR tracks. If the grass is even just a little damp with dew, they all just slide around until they are really stuck And it is really fairly flat. But if it rains, I leave early to avoid the rut making circus...
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I carry 6 2x10s, probably 3 ft long and large pads for jacks. I use those any time I'm parked on grass. It's a bit of extra effort but sure beats the alternative.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:51 PM   #7

I do as Gary described. If we were still attending rallies and events I would buy and carry a set of Truck Claws. That item was not made back when we could've used it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:14 PM   #8

New one is close to 50k lbs so it'll be a big change. I do a ton of SxS riding and other things so very used to getting stuck and knowing how to drive to prevent and when to know that I'm doomed.

I have a 13k winch on a bumper mount and snatch blocks I could use but usually in a grass parking lot there isn't really any trees or anything.

Maybe Truck claws are a good option
Old 03-31-2023, 05:52 PM   #9

Do not ever get a diesel pusher onto grass, if there is ANY moisture under the grass or even dew on the grass you Will sink and just 2 or 3 inches you will just spin the rear tires at idle. I learned this in my own rear yard when I tried to manuever my 40' cummins by backing onto my grass area and 1 front wheel settled 2 inches, the rear tires just slowly rotated. I live in a very dry state (UT) but the slight dew on the lawn was just like ice. Some careful jacking under that corner and a recessed 2X10 2 feet long to get that tire level with the rest and pieces of old carpet tucked up under the rears let me idle back onto the concrete parking pad. Lesson learned, hardtop, concrete, of very tightly gravel roads only.
DADSDOGHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:48 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSDOGHOUSE View Post
Do not ever get a diesel pusher onto grass, if there is ANY moisture under the grass or even dew on the grass you Will sink and just 2 or 3 inches you will just spin the rear tires at idle. I learned this in my own rear yard when I tried to manuever my 40' cummins by backing onto my grass area and 1 front wheel settled 2 inches, the rear tires just slowly rotated. I live in a very dry state (UT) but the slight dew on the lawn was just like ice. Some careful jacking under that corner and a recessed 2X10 2 feet long to get that tire level with the rest and pieces of old carpet tucked up under the rears let me idle back onto the concrete parking pad. Lesson learned, hardtop, concrete, of very tightly gravel roads only.
This is so True!!
Was moving my rig on my on lot and had it idling in gear when the wife yells
"You know you're spinning...right?"
I'm like, Huh? So I hung out the drivers window and looked. The wheel was just sitting there spinning away!!
I believe it could get stuck on an ice cream cone in a Dairy Queen parking lot!!
Old 03-31-2023, 09:11 PM   #11

We parked on my friends grass and sank in. We weigh 35,000 lbs. Had to call Good Sam to get us out. Ours cannot be pulled from the from or lifted except with the jacks. They ended up having to pull me out by my receiver. I would not recommend parking on grass.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:28 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm just under 39'000 lbs, spend a few days on a friends lawn every year, never spun a tire getting out !
Old 04-01-2023, 12:34 AM   #13

Going to the conventions I go to they're almost always scrubby grass to park on and plenty of people come with huge trailers and RVs

Be aware of conditions. If you're really heavy it might not hurt in some situations to probe the ground a bit, check weather reports for recent rain, that sort of thing

As many others have said, have some backup plans, kitty litter is great for traction, and with the proper brace underneath leveling jacks should be able to pull you out of a rut and give you the ability to block under the wheel

Tags
class a, parking