Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking on grass

My wife and me do lots of volunteer work at a Christian camp where they let us park for free. Sometimes don't get to move around as we want because the grass is too wet, where we park. After being there since June I got to wondering what that is doing to the underside of RV I mean if it's serious. Also what can I do to help out. I guess either move it get under the RV and do some painting. Not sure if there is other products or methods to help this condition out. Anybody thought of this issue or had problems
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
My wife and me do lots of volunteer work at a Christian camp where they let us park for free. Sometimes don't get to move around as we want because the grass is too wet, where we park. After being there since June I got to wondering what that is doing to the underside of RV I mean if it's serious. Also what can I do to help out. I guess either move it get under the RV and do some painting. Not sure if there is other products or methods to help this condition out. Anybody thought of this issue or had problems

I would think the motor home is undercoated and should be ok that is unless there is a river of water passing under it.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

I spray mousefree ounce a year keeps it nicely lubricated. And keeps mice out.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do find that the frame is rusting there is a product called POR 15 that's made to paint directly over rust.If theres any loose scale brush it off and apply.It encapsulates the rust and stops it. We use it on old rusty truck frames and floorboards.Wear gloves because you can't get it off your hands,lol it has to wear off.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvette85 View Post
If you do find that the frame is rusting there is a product called POR 15 that's made to paint directly over rust.If theres any loose scale brush it off and apply.It encapsulates the rust and stops it. We use it on old rusty truck frames and floorboards.Wear gloves because you can't get it off your hands,lol it has to wear off.
Everytime I grease or change oil I check for rust under the entire RV. I use rustoleum to touch up. If it needs wire brushing I go down to bare metal. So far 0 rust on entire 1999 Dutchstar.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Everytime I grease or change oil I check for rust under the entire RV. I use rustoleum to touch up. If it needs wire brushing I go down to bare metal. So far 0 rust on entire 1999 Dutchstar.
Sounds like we are kindred spirits.I believe in preventative maintenance.Address the problem before it becomes a real problem.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys. Now that I'm full time I don't have a cement driveway any more. But I am going to Jack the RV up and get under and check. I'll bet chassis parts and rear end need a little touch-up. I'll check out those products. Thanks again. Always find help here
Old 11-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

A vapor barrier is best, if management allows you to cover the grass under the RV with plastic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Yep, I do the same except I use their Rust Reformer product then their paint over it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A vapor barrier is best, if management allows you to cover the grass under the RV with plastic.

I agree, plywood, tarp, anything will help as a vapor barrier for a vehicle parked in grass long term.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Phosphoric acid, sold in home improvement and paint stores converts rust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosph...ersion_coating
and makes a very good 'primer' before painting.

It is used in salt water environments for protection from rust.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Russ Silber.... Holy skinned knuckles. All the little corners? That would take me forever. Lol. Right now I'm talking the rear end. I'm going to try the acid route. I will brush off what I can. Thanks guys now if I can figure out how to get my fat belly under there. I'll do it . Have fun RVN.