Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #71

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Did you shutter your business prior to the implementation of the CAT?
During the first 3 months of the tax..By then We had vacated the state, and just the first few months of the then taxable term.
And yes, We left Oregon due to their never ending onslaught of "New or Improved" tax programs.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
During the first 3 months of the tax..By then We had vacated the state, and just the first few months of the then taxable term.
And yes, We left Oregon due to their never ending onslaught of "New or Improved" tax programs.
Thanks for the reply. Being able to select the State one calls home, certainly has its advantages. In addition to favorable tax laws, another advantage is that you don’t actually have to live there. It also means that a decision has been made to live in an RV. That isn’t a lifestyle for everyone.

For those of us fortunate enough to be able to choose the State in which we actually live, it becomes essential to learn to live with all the warts. They all have them.

When you hang up the keys, do you intend to finish the game in South Dakota?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #73

Quote:
I lasted slightly longer than you. I ceased operations April 2021. Anybody that says Oregon is business friendly is flat out lying. It’s not just the cost of this sales tax, but the endless paperwork associated with it.
Wire4money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:44 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Be like NANCY - JUST SAY NO

Bought a MH two years ago and they tried that - and i said I'm walking

it was dropped
dherrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #75
Community Moderator

Oregon vehicle dealers are allowed to pass the cost of the CAT on to consumers who purchase vehicles from them. Apparently the Oregon rv dealer's rv price did not include the CAT in the listing price but included in the closing cost. Seems like a reasonable business practice.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:39 PM   #76

Kind of like my Dad when he was trying to buy a car. Used one at that. He made an offer for the vehicle and they salesman wasn't going to come down, so Dad walked. The salesman called him the next morning and said he would take his offer. $6500 with trade vs $8000. This was back in 1991. Dad said now that $1500 is in my pocket and not the dealers.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Out THE Door" cost is ALL that matters! "I want the total cost to place on the curbside(outside) your dealership"......
PaceArrow06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:29 PM   #78

Smile Question

Was the RV price greater than 1,000,000?
I assume from your post that this was not discussed beforehand.
Do you mind disclosing the dealer?
Have you heard of anyone else experiencing this?
We are planning to buy a coach in the fall in GA. Has anyone heard of these issues there too?

Best of luck to you.
Columbus2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:02 PM   #79

First off, I live in Oregon. This CAT tax is charged by everyone for anything you buy.
The State passed this without a vote of the people. Try buying any vehicle (or anything for that matter) - if they don't list it by itself as CAT tax then it will be for sure lumped in with taxes or the price of the item has been increased to cover it. I should say try buying anything - most receipts will show CAT on the receipt - usual charge is .006% of total. Don't get down on this dealer - every retailer does it. The state was sure they were taxing the rich corporations but like anything else it gets passed down to the consumer. If you don't like it go to Washington or California and pay their sales tax. I don't like it but I'm here and have to put up with it.
KCMoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
I don't blame you.
Most people don't pay the sellers real estate agents commission or the taxes they pay on that commission.

I disagree, the purchaser always pays any commission due to real estate agents, or any other similar fees, it's just not listed on the purchase agreement that way. If you don't look at the net cash you are going to get from a deal you are simply fooling yourself. I guess it's just the accountant in me.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #81

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Being able to select the State one calls home, certainly has its advantages. In addition to favorable tax laws, another advantage is that you don’t actually have to live there. It also means that a decision has been made to live in an RV. That isn’t a lifestyle for everyone.

For those of us fortunate enough to be able to choose the State in which we actually live, it becomes essential to learn to live with all the warts. They all have them.

When you hang up the keys, do you intend to finish the game in South Dakota?
Still traveling and experiencing What the USA has to offer. Haven't even started looking for the best cemetery .
Old 07-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMoes View Post
First off, I live in Oregon. This CAT tax is charged by everyone for anything you buy.
The State passed this without a vote of the people. Try buying any vehicle (or anything for that matter) - if they don't list it by itself as CAT tax then it will be for sure lumped in with taxes or the price of the item has been increased to cover it. I should say try buying anything - most receipts will show CAT on the receipt - usual charge is .006% of total. Don't get down on this dealer - every retailer does it. The state was sure they were taxing the rich corporations but like anything else it gets passed down to the consumer. If you don't like it go to Washington or California and pay their sales tax. I don't like it but I'm here and have to put up with it.
This isn’t accurate. First, groceries are exempt. Second, I also live in Oregon and recently reviewed a number of receipts for purchases over the past few months, none of which reflected the CAT having been charged. I’ve bought numerous items from businesses since the tax was implemented, that I’m 100% certain have more than $1M in corporate activity each year in the state, and have never been directly charged for the CAT.

That doesn’t mean you aren’t paying it on everything you buy, but it does mean that not everyone is paying it on anything they buy.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:25 PM   #83

Quote:
Still traveling and experiencing What the USA has to offer. Haven't even started looking for the best cemetery .
I suppose if your plan is to die in the coach, then it doesn’t matter. Ending the RV lifestyle and transitioning to a house, apartment or assisted living facility was where my question was directed.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #84

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
I suppose if your plan is to die in the coach, then it doesn’t matter. Ending the RV lifestyle and transitioning to a house, apartment or assisted living facility was where my question was directed.
Most likely somewhere in assisted living.. Where or in whatever state Doesn't really matter at that point in our lives.
As for me.. After I'm gone , I have directive that states the crematorium is to stuff 2 BIG bottles of Reddenbacher's finest Popcorn and 2 bottles of his oil in my sorry cadaver before they put me in the Oven.. It's Gonna be AWSUM!!!!

Tags
dealer