Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
As one example above had issues with voltage after being told they couldn't use high amp items but negotiated to anyway, perhaps some parks simply don't have the capacity for everyone to operate on 50 amps without the same problem. The park may not be nickle and diming people they may simply be discouraging enough people from using it that everyone can have power without issues. Upgrading a whole park electrical grid can be very expensive and if they raised the cost enough to cover that, their price may not be competitive and they would go out of business.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I can understand a small upcharge ($2-3) but $7 sorry that is a rip off.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #17

I stayed in a CG up in NY that banned electric heaters. Old, overhead wiring, strung between the trees.

The FL. one I'm in now, has 50, 30, 15 amp power posts, but only allows 1 power cord per post.

If you want to plug in a electric grill or awning lights, you need to use your own outside receptacle.

The County electrician? said 2 plugs at a time burns up the posts.

Boat docks often have a rate structure for electricity. 30, twin 30, 50, twin 50 and now 100 amp service.

I usually say no electricity, unless included or real hot out. I'll never own a boat that needs 100 amp service.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Misunderstood you... I thought you meant that it's mechanically not possible.

BTW.... there's no additional charge for 50A in public parks. We even encountered a few national forest campgrounds with 50A.
What is a public park? Are state parks and COE parks considered public? Both of these charge extra for 50 amp service down here in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
I have a 30 to 50amp cord set and a 50 to 50 cord set...they will never know the difference haha....we camp a lot in National parks and I really dislike multiple plugs/adapters
Campground owners, park rangers, and volunteers at National parks will recognize a 50 amp coach when they see it. Whether they care enough to say something about it is a different story.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #19

I stay at mostly COE, State and County parks. I have never been charged a seperate fee for electric. 15, 30 or 50 amp.

Haven't been to Texas yet.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not uncommon at all. One of the nicest campgrounds I've stayed at is a small (like 25 sites 20 pull through all but one 50 amp and that one occupied by a staffer) in S.E. Ga 350 for 30 amp (per month) 375 for 50.

WHY, well 30 amps you can draw at most 3600 watts. 50 you draw at most 12000 So it costs more for electricity.> NOTE I have both 30 and 50 amp cords. Not dogbones but as different power cord. Long story.

The park I am in now on 50 amp sites they used to "lock out" the 50 amp and you paid extra to unlock it (Very simple way to lock it out) but you coudl use 30 w/o paying extra.. then they changed and locked out the entire box so you paid extra to be on teh site.. Now they have removed the locks but .. Well I'm not sure. They seem to have a song problem,, the song "Did you ever have to make up your mind".
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #21

I'm a big believer in the users should pay rather than spreading the cost to everyone. So if I'm using $7 more electricity than the 30 amp coach beside me, I think it only fair I pay the $7 rather than each of us pay $3.50 which is the more normal situation.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #22

I'm more of the metered electric kind of guy. Pay for what YOU use.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #23

I bought a new Jeep Wrangler several months ago. They charged me extra for an automatic transmission. Can you believe that? What a rip off.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #24

I pay whatever the Campground fee is and don't worry about it. It's their Campground, their investment, their profit margin, their rules ect. If it is something I don't like I don't go there anymore. It's really pretty simple, nothing is free and if a minimal charge is going to bother you then I'm not sure how/why you would ever buy a MH that is not a good financial investment to begin with. Use the MH you spent thousands on and enjoy it, don't sweat the small stuff.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I'm a big believer in the users should pay rather than spreading the cost to everyone. So if I'm using $7 more electricity than the 30 amp coach beside me, I think it only fair I pay the $7 rather than each of us pay $3.50 which is the more normal situation.
But then you would have to pay more for the campsite as the labor for reading every ones meter every day would be high. I see your point but most policies are set to a standard and made for less work by the camp host/owner/staff.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
As far as use, with the DPer and 50 amps was on a read your meter sight a few years ago in rather warm weather. They switched to metered from night stay at 1 week. I stayed for two weeks, desert, a bit of Elec. heat in the night and A/C day time. For two weeks I was very near $100. So a 50 amp coach could reach over $7 a day usage in a month in hot weather. And as far a raise the rate to average the 30-50, sure I want to pay for your 4 slide 3 A/C coach. Pay your own dang bill.

LEN
Old 04-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've never been to a campground where 30 amp service was the same price as 50 amp service. A site with a 50 amp receptacle is always a few dollars higher.

You're lucky that the campground you went to gave you the option to use the 30 amp receptacle and pay less. The campgrounds around here don't give you that option. Sites that have the pedestals with 50/30/15 amp receptacles inside them are priced higher than sites with 30/15 amp service. It doesn't matter if you use only the 15 amp receptacle at those sites, you pay the higher price.

I too am not exactly sure what your complaint is.
And I, on the other hand have never been in a campground that charged extra for a 50 amp service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And I, on the other hand have never been in a campground that charged extra for a 50 amp service.
Then you were either in resorts that already charged you for it or places without 50 Amp service...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service