Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #1

Pedestal Tester

We just purchased a Class A and are new to RV's. With all this great information and experience on this forum we have purchased the Progressive EMS-PT50X. We are wondering if we need to purchase the Progressive Pedestal Tester also. In speaking with some of my friends that RV a lot it is split yes and no. No one has really given good reasons for one of not having one. None of them have an EMS either. Any comments are more than appreciated. New to all of this so learning quickly! Thanks for reviewing.
Hotrod RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #2

The EMS you have will test power for two minutes before it passes power to your coach.
No other tester is needed.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #3

I'll add a ditto to what wolfgolden said. I've been using the Progressive EMS-PT50X for several years. Prior to that, I used a pedestal tester that I built in a class that my motorhome club conducted. The pedestal tester saved me some headaches on several occasions, but the Progressive unit does the same thing as the tester on a continuing basis. If there is a problem with the pedestal electricity, the Progressive unit will isolate your rig, and give you an error code for exactly what is wrong.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #4

wolfgolden and chindog, thanks for the information it is most helpful. Still learning to use this site. I do appreciate the willingness to share so much experience and knowledge.
Hotrod RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:54 PM   #5

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aneng-VD8...4e212770ec15f3

I use one of these on the box before I plug protector and power cord in. I have only had it go off once in 5 years. I moved spots. It was a standard metal box, but the skin showed hot with no breakers on.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That NCVT device will not tell you everything that could be wrong in the pedestal circuits... Your progressive EMS will be your friend. Mine has saved us from fried equipment twice now in 5 years of use. At one park the voltage went to 140! It shut off immediately.

Get a copy of Mike Sokol's book on RV electical. Worth the cost for good education about this subject. It's named the No-Shock Zone.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #7

AS shown in the Owners Manual for the Progressive EMS-PT50X.
Low Voltage Protection
High Voltage Protection
Time Delay before Power can pass thru.....2 minutes 16 seconds
5 mode Surge Protection
Surge Indication
Reverse Polarity Protection
Open Neutral Protection
Open Ground Protection
AC Frequency Protection
Accidental 240V Protection
Display updates every 2 seconds
Previous Error Codes

WHAT other tester do you need?

You bought a great device-----uses it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:46 AM   #8

I have an equivalent device. These modern protectors do more and apparently do it better than the one I started out with in 1987. What puzzles me is that they are not ever likely to be used with a generator. Their source is commercial power. Therefor, it seems immensely unlikely that frequency would ever deviate even slightly from standard 60 Hz. The only exception would be if attending a large RV event where one purchases a power site provided by a big commercial generator such as we had at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival last year. It might go off frequency by going too fast or slow. I would think that being off the target frequency would not be a problem to the RV except for any clocks, clock radios or other such devices that use input power to provide a time standard.
Tech Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is what I have. I use it to test the pedestal BEFORE I back into a site and hookup.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...241834938&th=1
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:38 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Writer View Post
I have an equivalent device. These modern protectors do more and apparently do it better than the one I started out with in 1987. What puzzles me is that they are not ever likely to be used with a generator. Their source is commercial power. Therefor, it seems immensely unlikely that frequency would ever deviate even slightly from standard 60 Hz. The only exception would be if attending a large RV event where one purchases a power site provided by a big commercial generator such as we had at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival last year. It might go off frequency by going too fast or slow. I would think that being off the target frequency would not be a problem to the RV except for any clocks, clock radios or other such devices that use input power to provide a time standard.
The problem with using the Progressive or other EMS devices and the portable generators, is the bonding issues involved. Some generators require a bypass to correctly bond the circuit.
Again, Mike Sokol talks about this in his book and videos.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
The problem with using the Progressive or other EMS devices and the portable generators, is the bonding issues involved. Some generators require a bypass to correctly bond the circuit.
Again, Mike Sokol talks about this in his book and videos.
Simple Edison Plug solves that.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
That NCVT device will not tell you everything that could be wrong in the pedestal circuits... Your progressive EMS will be your friend. Mine has saved us from fried equipment twice now in 5 years of use. At one park the voltage went to 140! It shut off immediately.

Get a copy of Mike Sokol's book on RV electical. Worth the cost for good education about this subject. It's named the No-Shock Zone.
And if you see Mike at a rally, have him autograph it for you! And then ask if he's playing bass or keyboards that day.

He teaches music technology at a conservatory...
Old 05-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #13

Not wanting to hijack this thread... so we'll swerve just a little.

I carry a decent multi-meter (I used to only buy Fluke, now I do that just for work). I carry a couple of different non-contact voltage testers (one is "Snowflake" and the other is "Karen", you can decide why... ). Knowing 'which tool to use when' lies in knowing what one is measuring, and why.

And that brings me to Mike's No Shock Zone. Not usually one to say "ditto" but every suggestion for reading Mike's work is an automatic "+1" from me. His writing and illustrations are clear and concise, and he manages to meet most of his readers at their level (I credit his teaching experience). Folks that take the time to read and truly understand his writings will have a much better grip on electricity in general and RV electricity specifically. And that means one can own, safely use, and understand what the meter is/isn't saying.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:54 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And he does great at videos!

Tags
test