Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2022, 09:21 PM   #71

Stay away from owning a fishing boat then!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2022, 09:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzerbiz View Post
Stay away from owning a fishing boat then!

Lol. Once while launching our boat, I watched a guy sink his buddy’s very nice borrowed fishing boat. He left all three plugs out and launched it. Then beached it as a last ditch effort to save it.

There’s too many things to learn and keep track of to loan either a boat or rv that you care about to anyone.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:45 PM   #73

I’ve borrowed and loaned cars and trucks but always sure of the other party. Just like the rental company I make sure it is full of fuel and not dirty when returned When we were starting we borrowed a tent to see if we would like camping. Still have the one we purchased 50 years ago. We’ve had kids and grandkids stay with us. Too much liability to rent the MH to a stranger, and never been asked.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:56 AM   #74

We have never had anyone ask us to use any of our RV’s in the last 26 years. We travel full-time for work and our MH is our home. Our trouble is that folks think we are on vacation or are sleeping during the day. Just because our curtains are closed (to keep the heat out or in, depending on the season), doesn’t mean we are in bed! The older we get a nap maybe necessary, but we are quiet people.
USA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:59 AM   #75

Smile

Just say “NO”!
Ivygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescudiver1 View Post
Told our kids there not qualified to drive our HDT, so there is no way I would let them pull our 45' Toy hauler.
That's a huge Toy Hauler, it even has two garages! Weird placement though.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:35 AM   #77

Freightliner Owners Club
We have invited people to stay with us as we can separate the living quarters if you will. However, we have never been asked to let someone borrow it. Nor would I ever consider one of those rental agencies to rent it out. Every time I let someone borrow a utility trailer, something came back messed up, and I had to fix it. I did have people want to borrow my big tractor. The only answer was that I had to be the operator. No one ever took me up on that.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #78

Reading all the posts reminds me of a sign on a buddy's toolbox. It went like this: I spent my hard earned money on my tools. You spent your money on booze, parties, and playing. So don't ask to borrow my tools. GET YOUR OWN TOOLS FROM THE STUFF YOU SPENT YOUR MONEY ON.
We saved and bought our coach. I spend most of the summers upgrading things, cleaning and waxing, changing oils, paying for the license and insurance, paying for the diesel fuel and additives, paying for the propane, and finally, paying the storage fee for the winters up here in Northern Wisconsin.
I would NEVER even think of borrowing someone's Harley, his wife, or his coach.
I know the answer would be an emphatic NO!!! and would get a look that implied I was nuts to even ask.
How do I put a value on my labor? Our coach is 32 years old. Does anyone think I would get a decent replacement settlement for something that old?
Who is going to pay the increased insurance premiums because of an accident caused by someone that borrowed my coach? I would probably get cancelled because I lent the coach to some "unqualified" party.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upServant View Post
We have invited people to stay with us as we can separate the living quarters if you will. However, we have never been asked to let someone borrow it. Nor would I ever consider one of those rental agencies to rent it out. Every time I let someone borrow a utility trailer, something came back messed up, and I had to fix it. I did have people want to borrow my big tractor. The only answer was that I had to be the operator. No one ever took me up on that.
I belonged to a men's group at a former Church and we had a light utility trailer that we used for various charity projects that I borrowed from time to time.

Pretty much, every time I borrowed it, I spent an hour repairing the lights and wire harness for the lights. Thankfully, it was light enough unloaded to not need the tongue jack, because it was always destroyed. I replaced it once, and gave up. I finally purchased some magnetic trailer lights from Harbor Freight so that I always knew I had working lights on the trailer when I borrowed it. They are in my garage, believe on my work bench.

When my "tow vehicle" was my Jeep Wrangler, U-Haul does not allow a soft top vehicle to rent a trailer. However, I discovered that Home Depot did not have that restriction. It was cheaper, easier, and quicker to rent a Home Depot trailer than it was to fix the other trailer before I used it.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #80

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Cocktails for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2. The first two items are by invitation only.

Need more be said.

Ken
Wickedly accurate and well said ..
Demon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #81

I was taught that I had to return anything I borrowed in better condition than I got it.
Once borrowed a 82 year old farmer's "second" WD tractor with a "bad" cylinder.
Finally the weather got good enough for me to grade our lot. After grading, we changed spark plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, points, rotor, new muffler, all new decals (after painting and sanding the body), changed the oil and filter, filled the gas tank, cleaned the rusty tools stored under the seat, wrapped them in an oiled tool holder, and then drove the tractor out to the farmer's home.
They were gone, so I parked the tractor where they would see it when they got home. Found out that when they arrived that the farmer told his wife that he couldn't leave that pretty tractor outside. So he drove it into the shed and tore the new muffler off.
Ran into the farmer in a store and he asked me if I wanted to borrow his newer tractor. I had to say no, our lot was all graded. He said he had the engine rebuilt because the tractor looked to good to have a rotten engine!!

I guess what I am trying to illustrate is that if something is borrowed, return it in better condition than you got it, even if it costs you.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #82

Another way to avoid this we have found when asked if we have room..just reply( of course it sleeps 4 no problem,do you prefer top or bottom ) usual response is ( oh you have bunks ) NO is our answer and that "most times" ends the conversation..Even though we can easily sleep 6 our friends would not ask and we would always offer if they are in a "pinch'
Demon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Never had the issue, except my own (grown) kids and their families tend to “make themselves at home”. From time to time I have to adjust that behavior.
Mark 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:00 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We never did either. Perhaps you need a sign made stating 'house rules' to hang at your front door. Make it lighthearted and comical so people don't get too offended.
I love the sign idea. When we have a mini family gathering of my wife's family, I have been limited by my wife that I can only offend one each time we get together. 🤣 I am known to not have much of a filter at times, so I don’t get too many stupid request.

For us all of our friend & MY kin respect us enough to not ask.

Happy camping!
Poppy C is offline   Reply With Quote