Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Personal property Insurance

I just got off the phone with Good Sam and was surprised to discover that they did not have a provision to write personal effects of value coverage. As an avid photographer, the value of my photography equipment exceeds my total personal effects coverage on my policy therefore, I have to shop for a stand alone policy! O.K. Guys. any suggestions. Should I call Flo?
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
I just got off the phone with Good Sam and was surprised to discover that they did not have a provision to write personal effects of value coverage. As an avid photographer, the value of my photography equipment exceeds my total personal effects coverage on my policy therefore, I have to shop for a stand alone policy! O.K. Guys. any suggestions. Should I call Flo?
If you have a Home Owner policy, pp is covered there. If not, buy a pp policy from the same agents that sell home, rental, pp - State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide - etc.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #3

I have Good Sam and the coverage is thru National General. No problem with any coverage on my plan with contents of the 5th wheel.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhks View Post
If you have a Home Owner policy, pp is covered there. If not, buy a pp policy from the same agents that sell home, rental, pp - State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide - etc.
If you have a Homeowners/Renters policy, it may extend to your personal property in the Motorhome. However, I would definitely check your policy to determine if you need to schedule your camera equipment, some policies may have a limit for camera/video equipment unless it is scheduled.

Also some personal property that is on a vehicle is excluded based on upon the vehicle and are considered an accessory, parts or equipment of the vehicle than there is no coverage for the item per your policy.

If you do not have a knowledgeable agent or broker to assist you, I would highly recommend finding one and getting specific questions in writing. I had many items that since they could be used in my home or motorhome (lawn chairs, patio rugs, Easy Up tent, etc) not covered due to this exclusion on the broadest Homeowners Form Safeco sells. I had exhausted my Personal Property limit on my Motorhome policy and was looking for additional coverage under my Homeowners, so be very careful about some of these issues.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Allied's (Nationwide) standard policy amount is $3K. One can upgrade to $4K. Any higher than $4K the company requires receipts and photos. An Allied agent can walk you through the process.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I have Good Sam and the coverage is thru National General. No problem with any coverage on my plan with contents of the 5th wheel.
Same here (full timers policy) and I have $20,000 in personal property coverage.

GMAC has been bought by National General - at least the name has changed to that. Had the coverage before and still do. Cost extra but not a lot as I recall.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if your agent misunderstood what you were asking for - or perhaps the amount requested was beyond what they offer. Every RV policy package I've ever seen had an unscheduled personal property provision, usually $2000 or $3000 by default and usually increasable up to some degree. And most policies consider attached gear such as awnings, bras, hitches, etc, as part of that "personal property", in addition to your personal stuff (clothing, sports & hobby stuff, lawn chairs, etc).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Same here (full timers policy) and I have $20,000 in personal property coverage.

GMAC has been bought by National General - at least the name has changed to that. Had the coverage before and still do. Cost extra but not a lot as I recall.
I called them first, and they told me i could increase the limits, but the amt they required was substantial. The camera equipment i need insured far exceeds the total of all my other personal effects. I now have a query in to State Farm to see what they can do.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your courtesy in the help you provided. I now have enough intel to work with from here.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have National Interstate for RV insurance. $5000 in Personal Property coverage is $18/year. The default amount of their coverage is $2000, but I don't recall the base premium for that amount.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanx to all that tried to help. If you have Good Sam (Nat. Gen.) you may want to call and clarify. We have almost $10K worth of personal effects coverage, but I have almost that amount in camera gear alone, not to mention, about $4K in computers and software, Several $K in firearms, Shop equipment i.e. Table saw, drill press skill saws, belt sanders, routers, tons of mechanics tools, and the list goes on. If we had a total loss, like fire or tornado, the Good Sam policy wouldn't even come close. When I had the brick & Mortar, I had personal effects policies on a lot of this stuff but since retirement and being on the road, I haven't given as much thought until recently. I have started gathering quotes from other companies, but a lot of them refuse to cover since we full-time. I guess they consider us "trailer Trash" (lol).
Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Several $K in firearms, Shop equipment i.e. Table saw, drill press skill saws, belt sanders, routers, tons of mechanics tools, and the list goes on.
Wow! That must be one huge RV!

Tags
insurance