Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Personal weather station sensor placement. Not a freeze question

This is not related to all the questions about basement heat and freezing temps.

I wanted a weather station with a simple temp humidity sensor to gander at when camping. I found one I like at Aldis of all places and now I can’t decide where to put the candy bar sized sensor.

Its a class A with a ladder. I don’t want to have to put it out each time. I have thought about the ladder but think there must be a better place I just can’t think of anything. The rear cap is open from the bottom and wide. The gen exhaust is back there though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

I have THIS accurate on the back of my Class C.

https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-w...-and-rain.html

I mount it atop a 15 foot pole (really 7 1/2 x 2) on the square bumper of my Class C. This height gets the unit into the "clean" air above the wind coming over or around the RV.

Because the anemometer would probably spin off when traveling, I take it down when moving and put it up when stopped. It takes a few seconds for either.

I have a similar unit at home mounted on a 10 foot pole on top of a 6 foot fence also to get up to clean air. The one at home is connected to the internet so I can monitor home weather while on the road.

Please PM me with your Email address if you want more information or pictures.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have tried differing places such as under a slide or in the propane tank compartment, but readings are impacted by the coach interior temperatures. I have the sensor in a plastic baggy that I drop into the far right side of the step when camped. There so to remember to pick it up when breaking camp.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
I have THIS accurate on the back of my Class C.

https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-w...-and-rain.html

I mount it atop a 15 foot pole (really 7 1/2 x 2) on the square bumper of my Class C.

Because the anemometer would probably spin off when traveling, I take it down when moving and put it up when stopped. It takes a few seconds for either.

Please PM me with your Email address if you want more information or pictures.

Tim

I have the same unit on the roof. I mounted to a bracket and post in the middle. Driving 65-70 no issues for over a year other than it thinking I’m in s windstorm whenever we move and its predictions are wacky.
also wind direction isn’t right but “north “ is always the front of the motorhome
Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

In our fifth wheel, I taped the sensor to the frame cross bar at the back of the entry steps. Sometimes I would get false high readings and figured it to be when the sun shines on the door side the black steps heat up and affect the sensor. I have since moved the sensor forward under the fifth wheel frame and zip tied it to the gas line which seems to give accurate readings now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs down

Mounted ours to the outside wall below the awning. Direct sun screws up the temperature reading though if the awning is retracted. Put the anemometer bracket at the rear, take the unit down when traveling.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a small outdoor entertainment compartment (Stereo, speakers, 120V & 12V plugs). I installed my sensor on the inside of the compartment door; a small hang-on shelf blocks it from direct sunlight when open. I have 2 base units to read the sensor; 1 in the bedroom, 1 on the dash. Works well for us.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Ours is stuck to the galley window (which is under the awning), with the Velcro Extreme Dual-Lock stuff- and a ribbon of orange tape around it, so I remember to take it off the window before we get underway.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've tried different locations, In the frig compartment, On the propane tank, in the MaxAir cover.

I keep coming back to under the hood.

There's a bracket for the windshield wipers up high, that's where I put it. The only time it doesn't read accurately is when stopped with the engine running, or about an hour or so after the engine is shut down.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I mounted mine with some 3M VHB tape next to the door and below the awning. Like others have posted mine gives ridiculously high readings when exposed to direct sunlight. And I ordered 2 spare sensors just in case the one out there now falls off of my rig.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mine is mounted on a steel crossmember in the front generator compartment. It’s well protected from the sun but I suspect there is some effect from the ground when the sun is strong. The only other issue is some times getting wet and cutting out for a while, but not always.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace