Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Posts: 8
Question Pets into Mexico & Tourist Cards

We have Rv'd into Mexico a couple of times (Baja and to San Carlos) but this is the first time with our dog. (West Highland White Terrier). Have read that we should have an animal health certificate issued no later than 72 hours before we enter Mexico. Do we need to do this.....????? If so, can I obtain one from a local veterinarian in Yuma or Gila Bend???? Also will be going into Mexico via Lukeville and eventually going as far south as Mazatlan. Can we pick up our Tourist Cards at the border, Puerto Panesco or ????????. Thanks for your help.
2001 GMC Sierra Duramax LB - 2001 Okanagan 29.5' Fifth Wheel
Jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Auburn, CA, Havasu, AZ & Mulege, BCS
Posts: 5,372
Jaffy- you will likely not face any issues taking the dog into Mexico. You may when returning, so info on current shots, etc. is recommended.
I recommend getting your FMT (tourist card) at the border for the least hassle. I've tried it every way there is, and there is always some discomfiting discussion if you don't pay and get stamps when you crossed.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
read & learn's Avatar
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edgewater, NJ-Now touring the USA
Posts: 955
Jaffy when are you going?
Friends just got back from PP and said the Border Guards asked more questions then any other time going into Mexico. They been going 2 times per year for last 25+ years.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Posts: 8
Lukeville Crossing

Not going into Mexico until the middle of February. We have also been across into Puerto Penasco a number of times without any problems. Our dog has had all his shots so I'll bring the paper work with me and hope we don't have any trouble. Thanks guys for your input. Jaffy
2001 GMC Sierra Duramax LB - 2001 Okanagan 29.5' Fifth Wheel
Jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
Stanbnv's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 130
If you are crossing at Lukeville, get your FM-T and your Temporary import permit (TIP) for your rig and toad at KM 17 east of Sonoyta. If crossing at Nogales, at KM 21 south on MX 15. You need the TIP, as they are required for most of mainland Mexico south of San Carlos. They are a hologram that is put on your windshield, and for MHs and trailers are issued as 10 year permits (@ $50), and for cars and pick ups, 6 months (@ $20). You supposedly need a rabies certificate that is less than 30 days old to bring dogs back into the US, but I've not heard of anyone being checked.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!
Stanbnv is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Security Cards - what a crock! chasfm11 Just Conversation 20 03-02-2008 02:05 PM
Cards From Heaven Have Dead Man Talking MonacoMama RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 3 12-26-2007 04:42 PM
Pets in PA State Parks FLYTYER RV'ing with Pets 6 03-17-2007 11:32 AM
US State Dept. renews travel warning to Mexico Two Bit General Discussion 1 07-28-2005 07:19 AM
For those going into Mexico Two Bit General Discussion 3 02-01-2005 05:50 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.