Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #1

Phone Service

Years ago we had AT&T and had trouble getting service while traveling and switched to Verizon which has given us really good service. I currently pay about $180.00 per month for two I phones, one 7+ & one 12.

We travel several; months during the summer and have been using the phones for a hot spot.

I just received an ad from T-Mobile which appears that I can save quite a bit of cost by switching.
My question: do any of you have experience with T-Mobile that can support us switching or not switching.

I will appreciate your thoughts.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #2

Switched to T Mobile last Sept. We had Verizon for years, two IPhones.
We’re currently traveling from NY to Az. In NM now and have had great service all the way.
Two phones, unlimited data, $55.00 a month. Less than half compared to Verizon.

Ed
Ed Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never used T-Mobile but I've always heard that Verizon is at the top of the list for nationwide coverage, especially out west in more remote areas.

We tried AT&T once and it was awful. We've been very happy with Verizon!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had AT&T for quite a while and even when traveling a good signal - around cities and towns. Service would be very weak or non-existent in the 'wilderness' areas.
I '96 we could go into the town of Custer and have a good signal with AT&T and when we started back to the Park the signal would pretty much die at the city limits. Many times we would drive to the city limits when we needed to make an important call back home. The next year we had Verizon and could call from our CG. Been with them since. For some reason I cannot get my phone (or computer??) to become a hot spot like it did when I first got it.
Of course back in those days we had a Wilson to grab the signal.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My perception is that AT&T has narrowed the gap in geographic coverage and the difference vs Verizon isn't great anymore. There are always places where one or more of the big carriers have poor or no signal, but it's not any one brand that comes up short. 20 years ago Verizon had the only usable signal where I live out in the Ocala National forest, but now AT&T is decent as well and T-Mobile somewhat adequate in most parts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

We have had AT&T for many years. Now paying about $97 per month for two phones with unlimited texting. Coverage has been adequate over the entire US and western Canada (Rogers). We see no reason to change at this time.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had tmobile until jan 2020. Worst service we ever had. If we were not in a city or on the interstate highway in service. We went to a Verizon network user (spectron) we seem to have very good service. We get conections at 8 out of 10 campgrounds.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

We have two accounts, one with AT&T and one with Verizon. Sometimes one works better than the other but I feel verizon still has a slight edge. I hear tmob has been building out but still leery of coverage in an RV and while I could kind of see it as a backup, I dunno about primary. That said, I don't like depending on Verizon alone because data is so terribly limited. Visible sounds interesting.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We had T-Mobile a few years ago and switched to ATT for better coverage. We have been thinking of going back to T-Mobile but worried that hot spotting will be throttled back after a certain number of gigabytes. With our ATT no throttling but not always good reception. We do have wi fi booster which does help.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #10

We have had T-Mobile for the last 3 years. 2 lines $60.00 a month unlimited everything. Our hot spot works just fine streaming Prime, Netflix, Hulu and Youtube TV.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

T-Mobile and Sprint are now one and has coverage that rivals the other two. They have a few deals going right now that are very good.

Customer service for any of them is terrible.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We had T-Mobile a few years ago and switched to ATT for better coverage. We have been thinking of going back to T-Mobile but worried that hot spotting will be throttled back after a certain number of gigabytes. With our ATT no throttling but not always good reception. We do have wi fi booster which does help.

I had TMobile on my Iphone and wife had AT&T on her flip phone. She had signal where I didn't. I called our carrier, Consumer Cellular and had my Iphone changed to At&T. I now have very good signal almost everywhere.

This change was late last year.
I also setup wifi callling on my phone. We were in Canada and had no signal at the campground (no international service on my carrier) and we were able to make phones call using the campground wifi.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #13

In the Pacific Northwest: had Verizon- good service, too expensive. Had AT&T: marginal service, lower cost than the big the V. Now, for two years have TMobile, great service (every bit as good as Verizon and better than AT&T) and best price. I drive all over the three counties in NW Washington and camp in bothe side of WA and Oregon and have no complaints with service or firing up hotspots.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #14

We have Tmobile. Band 71 is a big player for them, particularly in the hinterlands.

My phone does have it, the wifey's older phone does not. Quite a difference in service areas in the back country.

Currently TMobile is in the process of firing up a lot of towers so the future looks good.

Plans are changing, stay tuned.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, service