Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Usually, we travel with a co-pilot, why don't you keep her busy answering the phone while you drive or just close your damn cell!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #16

I do wish there was more enforcement on using a phone while driving. I can't count the number of times I have seen people chatting away when the light turns green, they are just sitting there as others drive past.
In Utah-home state-there are laws against it, but not enforced unless they cause an accident. Walk out of a bar, get in your car, and the police will pull you over and give a breath test. (And no, I am not a fan of people drinking and driving.)
2Grands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #17

Passed truckers texting a few times. Always made sure to get away from them as fast as possible.
Lots of folks need some education on why texting is bad and also on just how different a large vehicle is from a car. Many of those never drive anything but a car/suv.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In our small town the police created a false construction zone on the main highway through town. People slowed down as traffic went from three lanes to one. The construction workers were police who radioed ahead to waiting troopers whenever someone came through on their phone or texting. Lots of tickets got written that day.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #19

My horn is worn out from trying to alert the car ahead the light has changed. But on the bright side I owned a bodyshop and retired at 45 due to cell phones.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Made me laugh when you said she apologized but was still on the phone. I think I would have said something not nice.

Did you explain to her about not talking on the phone while driving?

I just nodded my head and realized that any response was going to be hopeless.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Co-pilot gets all calls & texts. No need to hold a phone while driving imo.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #22

Trying to read and fiddle with the phone GPS is riduculous, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you ban texting or talking on phone, then you might want to ban driving while eating, and close all the drive through windows. You will then need to ban the use of radios, scolding the kids in the back seat, no more hot cups of coffee while driving. No more driving while sleepy. While we’re at ban cruise control. Lots of accidents occur when a vehicle is on cruise and the driver falls asleep.

How many laws beyond driving while distracted do we need? We have laws against driving under the influence, a law against driving with an open container of beer, but don’t seem to need a law about drinking then driving. If we did all the bars and restaurants would have to close. Why do we allow convenience stores to sell ice cold beer in singles? Anyone believe for a moment the beer will make it home?

We have enough laws. We can’t begin to enforce the ones already on the books until after an event. You can’t legislate common sense.
+1
We will always have scofflaws. Complain about it if you want.
But keep in mind.
They can not keep drugs out of prisons.
If a society that controlled still has contraband it is proof it is impossible.
A free society has crime, loss of life and illegality by its very nature. It is part of the equation. I prefer to live on the free end of the spectrum.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
My story

As in most jurisdictions, here in BC texting and non hands free cell phone communication is against the law. The problem is so big in Vancouver suburbs that the police will sometimes put a LEO on a bus to go through traffic and report offenders to other LEOs waiting up the road.

We were driving one day and the car ahead of us was weaving all over the place. We thought it may be an impaired driver but we discovered that it was a young lady texting away. We called the police and asked the LEO if they had a suggestion as to how to deal with reporting such a driver. She said definitely- call 911 and give us the license plate details, car make and colour if possible, and the direction of travel. She asked us for those particulars and assured us that the units on the road would look out for her.

I asked if calling 911 was a little over the top and she said that 911 was appropriate for reporting BOTH drinking driver and texting drivers!

As a motorcycle rider of over 53 years, I’ve been of the opinion that a texting driver is worse than a drinking driver. At least a drunk is looking forward and trying to stay in their lane.... Deer used to be my biggest fear while riding, now it’s texters. Severe penalties should be in place for texters involved in an accident, right up to manslaughter.

Why the addiction to texting? And it is an addiction. It’s handy in some cases, but it’s so impersonal. I can’t believe how many young people sit in groups, all of them texting (probably each other) and not saying a word.

Are the people of tomorrow going to lose their ability to communicate effectively by speaking?

Many believe that texting while driving should be technologically restricted. The cell phone and auto manufacturers could come up with a solution if they had the will, or maybe the requirement to do so. After all, we put a man on the moon with 1/1000 of the technology found in a cell phone.

Well, that’s my rant.

Cheers 🍷

DJ
Old 09-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #25

It's all about me. Me too. I do NOT text,...PERIOD. However, I'm known for driving my Dutch Star at 65 mph, pulling my GMC 4x4 Envoy, while eating a peanut butter and apricot jam sandwich with one hand and driving with the other. The difference between me and other drivers is that I've got a towel spread out on my lap, and thinking that a front tire is about to suddenly FAIL as I take a bite of sandwich. AND, I know exactly what to do (and it's NOT stepping on the accelerating NOR leaving my lane). It's dropping the sandwich as my other hand is grabbing for the steering wheel. It just might take TWO hands. That's what, and how, I think and drive.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
In our small town the police created a false construction zone on the main highway through town. People slowed down as traffic went from three lanes to one. The construction workers were police who radioed ahead to waiting troopers whenever someone came through on their phone or texting. Lots of tickets got written that day.
So sad that this is what your town has come to. Hard to believe that's in America.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #27

Since most phones have GPS that can calculate speed, it would be a pretty simple little bit of code to disable the phone above xx MPH. Our congress and state legislatures get too much money from cell phone PACs to bother with saving a few lives. Besides that, they have much more important things to do than try to protect innocent folks.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #28
doc

Appalachian Campers
Great idea to make it a national law. Turn the phone off or get some jail time. I don't want to die being killed because some yahoo is fiddling with his phone - GPS or not. Hands free might be all right, but still dangerous trying to answer it. Want to stop it? Impossible! But you make the penalty a thousand bucks and/or 30 days in jail, then the offender is going to think twice. I am glad the undercover officers nailed these people. Don't want to get caught? Don't do it!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone