Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Pickup bed cover hard or soft?

For those of you who pull a travel trailer, not fifth wheel, do you have a bed cover for your truck? If so is it full cap, solid cover, or soft cover? Why did you pick the one you did?

We are looking at a solid top that folds up in threes so we can access parts of the bed without taking off the whole top
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

ARE fiberglass topper. More secure than a soft cover.
tnscoutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't tow with my truck, but I wanted a cover that I could fold back and still haul large/tall items. I wasn't interested in a soft cover. The full fiberglass cover limits you to what you can carry.

I bought the solid aluminum cover made by FlipBak. It folds back in three sections and leans against the rear window if I need to use the entire bed. I added an electric tailgate lock and with the FlipBak, I can safely secure items in the bed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #4

In March of this year I put a folding hard cover on my PU from Bestop. It folds in three sections. I like it.

On my previous truck that I used to haul our travel trailer, I had a fiberglass cab high bed topper. It was great for camping and carrying the canoe, but a pain at home when I had to remove it to haul something that could not lay down inside of it.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
PKI

Soft cover = compliance if the load is just a bit tall for the bed.

However, I believe the metal commercial caps make for a much better solution. Storage compartments inside side doors provide greatly improved usability. While they do not work for everyone as budget, use and appearance all play a role in selection, they are a great improvement to the utility of the vehicle.

Once thought a utility bed with storage compartments on each side would be ideal. However, the added weight just kills that idea.
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

I have the tri-fold soft cover for my truck. Why? it is easier to lift off and store when I need the full bed to carry something. I can lift off the cover and store on top of my winter/summer tires that are stored on a wall rack. This way it is out of the way and will not get damage when off of the truck. It takes all of 5 min's to remove and or install on my truck bed, 4 levers lock the cover in-place.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

I just put a Bakflip MX4 on the truck. Previously, I had a Fold-A-Cover, which is also solid. Only reason I didn't do that again is that I now have a under the rail toolbox, and that one would have prevented access.

I prefer hard as they are more secure, and I think they are more weatherproof. With that being said, it's been a long time since I had a soft one, so that may have changed.

I can flip this one all the way up and have access to all but 4 inches of my bed.

I can also load stuff on top if I want to, and if it's folded, I can stand on it to reach the roof when I'm washing it.

When I kept my generators in the bed of the truck, I put the tailgate down and ran them with the cover over them to further cut the noise a bit. This worked really well with the Fold-A-Cover, as I was able to crack the front section as well as the tailgate, creating good airflow.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Back flip is bad for security.

This won't be popular with the several posts above me, but I DO NOT recommend the Bak-Flip or any of the similar three fold ones. If you own one, you know the weaknesses of how this of type of system opens. They are very weak for true security.

Mine was broken into twice, years apart. The first time when I was staying at a hotel, there was almost no damage, and to not give to many ideas to people, all I will say is it was done with something like a coat hanger.
The second time was in a parking garage while I was attending a sporing event. It was worse and it was done with something like a crowbar. damaging the tailgate plastic trim and the cover itself was bent.

As a side note... Truth - my unit was from about 2015-16 maybe the locking/latching has been improved, Mine was easy to break into.

I know nothing is 100% secure but there are better options if you truly want to keep people out.

I have seen one that is like a metal roll door that covers the bed and it would be difficult to get under, or ones that are full length covers made out of diamond plate.

Do a search for "metal truck bed covers" and look at the images tab. Thats what I would buy.
2019 Fleetwood *SOLD*
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #9

I had a soft roll up cover for years. It was cool if I needed to access the bed in the summer. Winter was a whole different beast trying to reattach the snaps!
I bought a tri-fold soft top for the new pick up. Worked great, until it blew off on my way to Missouri to a family reunion!
But, I think I had something pressing on the top from the inside.
I have a new tri-fold soft top on my truck now.
I like that I can get into the back in seconds, and remove it in less than a minute if I need the whole bed.
When we retire and start full timing, I'm planning on getting a hard shell for more secure storage.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

I love my Bakflip on the F250. It's not the best at anything, except looks IMO, but it does great at just about everything.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have this. Withstood a major hail storm. Has been on my truck since 2004.
https://www.realtruck.com/retraxone-tonneau-cover/
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #12

I have a soft tri fold that works good for our fifth wheel and even custom added a hole for access to fill the aux fuel tank. I carry a lot of tools and never had a security issue, out of sight out of mind. In fact for my new 18 chevy, I disabled the tailgate lock since it was a PITA every time I wanted to access the truck bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Cover.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	228381  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #13

I prefer the retractable cover. Mine is a Pace Edwards Ultragroove. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_152749.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	228392
Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #14

I guess it depends on if you want it for security, soft tops can be cut open in seconds. I prefer tri fold hard top.

Tags
cover