Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #1

In anticipation of someday having nice weather again we are trying to get things ready for another season. The pie iron is seldom used but "gotta have". When I took it out I found it all full of rust. Can it be cleaned or should I just trash it?

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #2

In anticipation of someday having nice weather again we are trying to get things ready for another season. The pie iron is seldom used but "gotta have". When I took it out I found it all full of rust. Can it be cleaned or should I just trash it?

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 03-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pie irons of pig or cast must be treated like an old iron skillet, used often and rinsed never washed with soap. Maybe if you knock off the loose rust with a stiff brush and soak it in some hot lard to lube er up.

http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/pieiron.html
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #4

MIke said it right. You can also try DRY steel wool to get rust off. I put plenty of oil inside and outside. I then put the iron thing in a ziplock bag and close it around the handle so it stays on. This keeps the inside of compartment clean. It really helps the pie irons too.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #5

Allegro Happy, What kind of "oil" are we talking about, cooking oil or engine oil? I don't know if it is well known, but there is a lot of nice pie iron recipes at pieiron.com but could find no info on cleaning them. I'll give the steel wool a try cuz ya never know, this could be the year that we finally use the pie iron!
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 03-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #6

COOKING OIL........ any brand, Engine oil????? Yes I loved their recipes on that website. I'm getting hungry.

DH (Larry) <><
Old 03-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I have a camping buddy who puts his in the campfire until they're red hot. Then he lets them cool slowly and wipes them down with vegetable oil.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Engine oil? Not unless your name is Cat or Cummins. Yuck!!
Seriously. I have rescued a number of old cast iron skillets from yard and junk sales at the request of my now departed mom. I would find a pile of sand (my family was in construction) and vigorously scrub the skillet with damp sand using a piece of burlap to hold it to the skillet. Wash it good and repeat as needed until all the rust is gone. Steel wool or stainless scouring pad might work if the rust is on surface only. Wash it very clean and then heat it a bit to dry it. Coat it heavily with vegetable oil and then bake in the oven at a low heat setting for an hour or until the oil is absorbed. Sometimes I had to do this three or four times. Then oil each time before use. This will usually work, but if the rust is deep pitted into the metal there is not a lot of help.
Now, is a pie iron cast? I don't think I have ever seen one that I know of.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #9

I did mention the engine oil option to my wife after I posted and is now more obvious why she doesn't want me in the kitchen! I guess the real secret is if you are going to continue to drag it along and add to the pin weight you might as well use it and then I wouldn't have to worry about it getting rusty.

Wilson(Maltese)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #10

Yes, your pie iron can be saved! Hitchiker gave some good advice about heating it in a fire. I use our gas grill.
First, wash the iron with hot water and steel wool--use no soap--to remove the rust. The heat from the hot water should be enough to dry it. Next, put a light coat of Crisco all over it, inside and out. Place on your grill and close the lid. Turn the burner(s) up to medium and let it set there for about an hour. Turn off burner and let cool. Remove from grill.
Don't forget to remove the wood handles before all this!
After each use, clean with hot water--no soap and no steel wool. Re grease and reheat.
Over time, the inside should get a nice black coating on it. This is what makes it a non-stick utensil.
And, yes, there are both cast iron and aluminum pie irons. Here's a website for Rome Pie Irons: http://www.romeindustries.com/aboutpieirons.htm
Hal R.
Hal R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I use mineral oil rather than vegetable. Vegetable oil can become rancid. Another cleaning agent that I have used is salt. If you are worried about germs, you can superheat the cast iron on the stove after cleaning for a few minutes. I love my cast iron pans and have had them for years. If someone happens to clean them with soap, you can redo the seasoning process.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #12

Welcome Hal R. I see this is your first post. Check out our national Rally in Lancaster PA in JUne. Hurry up and sign up. Again welcome and thanks for sharing your knowledge

DH (Larry) <><