Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

pilot lights at the gas station

It's been years since we had an RV so I don't remember if there was a warning sticker on the gas cap or not. So last night we were at a station filling up our new DP and there are warnings about turning off all pilot lights before fueling. The only one I had on was the fridge, so we left it BUT.... what do you do? Do you turn yours off before fueling or not? We don't want to make a BIG mistake......
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We turn the fridge off as we pull in to a gas station. I think it's just a good practice.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

I would feel a vulnerable if some one walked up to me while I was fueling and lit a cigar. Same thing: open flame.

There are laws, and signs at the pumps.

I worked at filling stations long ago. Only one fuel fire in 3 years, no casualties, only damages, but it was enough to instill respect.

I choose to not be a glowing example, nor provide the source.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I shut it off most of the time, but have to admit, I've drven away from the station before thinking, "Damn, I forgot to shut the fridge down ".
Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Or in our case 3 hours down the road, suddenly saying "did we turn the fridge back on?"
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since we have a diesel and the pumps are usually away from the gas pumps I never bother. In fact even when pumping at some regular stations where the gas is dispensed from the same island I never bother.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Pilot Lights

Towing a 5er with a Diesel Pick-Up, the fridge is a long ways from the pump and don't worry about it, did with the gas MH though and usually forgot to turn it back on!
Leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #8

Your MH could become a Big bomb? Kill yourself, What about others around you? Turn it OFF.
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

Very related extension of question. For those that turn it off. Do you shut it off before you get to the pumps, where others are pumping, or after you pull up? Motorhomes would be easier, for any/all trailers preferably, but curious about all.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Very related extension of question. For those that turn it off. Do you shut it off before you get to the pumps, where others are pumping, or after you pull up? Motorhomes would be easier, for any/all trailers preferably, but curious about all.
It is easier to not turn it off at all. But not safe.
Would you bring to flame TO the fumes?

The one with the flame will also be the one with the liability.....and guilty memories.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We turn off all propane before hitting the road. We don't turn it back on until we stop for the night. The fridge stays cold enough until then. That is what we do and we do not expect others to do everything we do.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
it is good practice and safer for all involved to turnoff potential ignition(refrig,generators,furnaces,etc) sources in fuel stations.
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fridge stays on in our motorhome while we are traveling, and while I am fueling. We only use the water heater and furnace while parked, and the oven pilot light is only on while using the oven.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We turn off all propane before hitting the road. We don't turn it back on until we stop for the night. The fridge stays cold enough until then. That is what we do and we do not expect others to do everything we do.
Nice. Are you talking full fridge or partial (we only weekend it), do you know how much it goes up? Would ice cream stay in the freezer?

Thanks

Tags
gas, lights