Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Planning rv trip from St. Louis to Pensacola

Hi all, id like to thank everyone for the hours of advice , entertainment and friendship on these forums.

just like the title says, were leaving for fort pikens in august.

taking our thor vegas, and just bought a buddy 125 cc scooter for back rack.

i was wondering if anybody has and route preferences and why?

also, was looking for tips on the location. or any other helpful hints.

good restaurants , things to do ,etc. we have a 10 yo little girl and a 5 yo autistic little boy. this will be his first time in the ocean.

we cant really sit down in restaurants due to our little boy not liking to sit down.

hence the scooter to pick up take out food.

thanks in advance.
AKITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

Check out Fort Pickens. Make sure you save a day for the naval air museum. Kids will love it.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Fort Pickens is nice. They have a store on site that is usually open in the daytime and carries basic necessities. It is a few miles of beautiful driving to town to get food. On a scooter be aware if it has rained there will be standing water and sand on the roadway. If you want to cook buy your groceries in Gulf Breeze. There is a Publix and a Walmart Market there. I prefer the Publix. There is no grocery store on the barrier island and it costs $1.00 every time you come and go unless you drive 10 more miles to Navarre. There are convenience stores at Pensacola Beach. On weekends stay on the fort premises. The line at the gate to get back in can be long and slow. Be sure to go down to the fort around 9:00am to watch the Blue Angels practice. It is right across from the runway. Have a great trip !
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Check out Fort Pickens. Make sure you save a day for the naval air museum. Kids will love it.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
one of them is a 10 yo princess, and the other is 5 yo autistic child, i think the navel air museum is a little dry for them, but that sounds like a great idea for me. thank you . do the blue angels fly on certain days?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Fort Pickens is nice. They have a store on site that is usually open in the daytime and carries basic necessities. It is a few miles of beautiful driving to town to get food. On a scooter be aware if it has rained there will be standing water and sand on the roadway. If you want to cook buy your groceries in Gulf Breeze. There is a Publix and a Walmart Market there. I prefer the Publix. There is no grocery store on the barrier island and it costs $1.00 every time you come and go unless you drive 10 more miles to Navarre. There are convenience stores at Pensacola Beach. On weekends stay on the fort premises. The line at the gate to get back in can be long and slow. Be sure to go down to the fort around 9:00am to watch the Blue Angels practice. It is right across from the runway. Have a great trip !
thanks for the great advice. we rarely cook in the rv, i was going to take the scooter into town to get take out food. we will be staying there mid week. tues - fri . the blue angels fly every day at 9am? do you like any certain resturants in the area? and lastly , how far is the beach from loop a? am i able ferry my family , one by one, via scooter , from the campsite to the beach?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #6

Have you looked at Pensacola Beach RV Resort?
Pensacola Beach RV Resort - Home Page

Logistically that might work better for you. At Ft Pickens area A it's about 100 to 200 yards to the walk way to get over the dunes. Once on the walk way (no scooters) it's about another 150 to 200 yard walk to the beach. If you look at google earth you can see the walk ways.

Check out the following link for the blue angles practice schedule.
Blue Angels Practices & Autographs - National Naval Aviation Museum

We like lunch at Peg Leg Petes. Good grouper sandwich.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dave
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

Yes we did, thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Have you looked at Pensacola Beach RV Resort?
Pensacola Beach RV Resort - Home Page

Logistically that might work better for you. At Ft Pickens area A it's about 100 to 200 yards to the walk way to get over the dunes. Once on the walk way (no scooters) it's about another 150 to 200 yard walk to the beach. If you look at google earth you can see the walk ways.

Check out the following link for the blue angles practice schedule.
Blue Angels Practices & Autographs - National Naval Aviation Museum

We like lunch at Peg Leg Petes. Good grouper sandwich.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dave
funny you should say that, we actually did check out pbrr, we looked at trip advisor and saw the photos, i realize that there are different fairs and shows going on at different times, but one pic in particular, had about a million people there, and the rvs were parked super close together , it just didnt seem like our kind of scene, the crowds and business scared us away. perhaps we will try a night while we are down there . grouper sandwich- sounds good right now. cant wait to try your recomendation. how much is a night at pbrr anyway? i felt like $40 a night was a bargain at fort pikens. we saw our site on google earth and it was really roomy.