Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

Plastic Pavers

Anyone have experience with plastic pavers? We park our RV on the grass at our house. It’s caused some damage to the grass from the wheels of our truck. Plus, I have a 2wd truck and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck in the grass. I would prefer to keep our grass on the side of the house which is why I’m looking at these.

Truegrid: https://www.truegridpaver.com/

There are others as well and I’m open to any suggestions.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 04:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
Anyone have experience with plastic pavers? We park our RV on the grass at our house. Itís caused some damage to the grass from the wheels of our truck. Plus, I have a 2wd truck and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck in the grass. I would prefer to keep our grass on the side of the house which is why Iím looking at these.

Truegrid: https://www.truegridpaver.com/

There are others as well and Iím open to any suggestions.
Just curious how you mow the side of the house.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:42 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If installed properly they should not interfere with mowing. I looked at these but they are pretty expensive and I didn't trust them to stay flush in the long haul. My neighbor had something similar and they created a muddy mess and didn't really solve the issue.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

I worked golf courses for my career, we tried these as golf carts will cut every corner possible and make a muddy mess. They worked for a very short time and as stated above the mud came back. We abandoned the idea. The only thing that worked was curbing. I know that wonít work for you, if you want grass, maybe look into artificial with a really good base underneath. Good Luck.
WeRetired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

When using pavers of any type you need to prepare a solid base for them so that they don't sink into soft soil. After all, it is simply a different form of driveway you're building and your vehicle and/or trailer can be quite heavy. Like any other construction, a good foundation is necessary.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

This is all good feedback. I may just need to modify my expectations and use concrete.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #7

I use these pavers for nearly 8 years in my yard for the RV access.

10" of base, plastic pavers and 1" sand then sod.

The only problem I have started recently

Worked very well for years. Starting last year while backing out and downhill, my front tire locks up and peels the sod right off the pavers in about 6' sections.

My issue is I'm on a decline and during the winter, a portion of the sod is always shaded and doesn't really dry leaving the sod wet.

I'm sure if the area in question was able to dry out and I was level (or near level) I'd have no problems

You can see in the pics the shaded area that stays wet.

Also the install recommendations notes to use sod grown in sandy soil which I couldn't find local so I had to use a regular soil sod

And of course your base and drainage is very important

Due to the recent issues I'm considering going to a Concrete Grass Paver (small square concrete pavers with grass growing through) If I can get authorization......lol

Otherwise I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 12.32.56 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	315735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 12.33.09 PM.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	315736  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 12.33.27 PM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	315737  
Old 01-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
This is all good feedback. I may just need to modify my expectations and use concrete.

Two strips of concrete about 24 inches wide would do the job. You will need a good solid base and at least 6 inches of reinforced concrete.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #9

Those look interesting, thanks for linking that... Now I'm getting ideas for a future project and hadn't thought about things that these provide a solution for.

For the people who had problems using these professionally.... Did anyone try the OTHER design where they are filled with rocks and sitting on a base of bigger rock? Any issues with that? I'm not looking for grass covering for my project.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #10

ďFor the people who had problems using these professionally.... Did anyone try the OTHER design where they are filled with rocks and sitting on a base of bigger rock? Any issues with that? I'm not looking for grass covering for my project.[/QUOTE]Ē

On golf courses, I worked at the high end private clubs that were very meticulous of conditions and presentation. So very little tolerance of something out of place or not up to standard. The smaller rocks would not stay in place, and were hell on mowers. We tried everything you could imagine and at the end of the day the only fix was a physical barrier to control cart and maintenance traffic, curbing. Aesthetics had a lot to do with the solution. And properly installed rolled curbing got the job done. A little off topic from OPís question, just sharing experiences.
WeRetired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post

On golf courses, I worked at the high end private clubs that were very meticulous of conditions and presentation. So very little tolerance of something out of place or not up to standard. The smaller rocks would not stay in place, and were hell on mowers. We tried everything you could imagine and at the end of the day the only fix was a physical barrier to control cart and maintenance traffic, curbing. Aesthetics had a lot to do with the solution. And properly installed rolled curbing got the job done. A little off topic from OPís question, just sharing experiences.
I appreciate the perspective - and groundskeepers / golf courses certainly would range toward the aesthetic-is-most-important end of the spectrum. I'm thinking of an industrial yard kind of use where cost and possibly drainage requirements are going to be more important than appearance beyond "looks like a nice yard" and mowing hopefully will not be needed - no grass at all.

Tags
2wd, 4x2, parking