Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rebel,

Why in the world did those plates cost $900? I live in MI have a Mountain Aire gas coach and pay less then $300 a year. You might want to check this out. Sounds like someone might have made a BIG mistake.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
Redneck,

Not sure my wife and I could stand to be that close, but MORE POWER to ya!!

Until I traded my truck last year I was paying about the same on it. On the new one it is much higher.
In oregon, the registration is based on length. In 1974, they used the available interior floor length vs the over all length, this around the time they decided that Truck Campers even had to have a license plate and registration.

Up to somewhere around 12' its $81, after that, it goes up adding on for so many extra feet.

I believe my folks pay around $160 or so ever 2 years for their 25 thor tahoe toyhauler.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Rebel,
I agree with Steve. I too live in Michigan and the plates for the Suncruiser are around $350 (per year) and it is a 2005. Were you including the sales tax in the $900+ number you quoted?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #46
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I live in Mi also and don't undertand the discrepancies quoted. Mi sets it's rates based on the value of the vehicle whether its a Passenger car, pickup, or RV. My plates for my 2007 are at $700+ per year and have been since new. Trailers on the other hand get lifetime plates based on weight.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #47

Counties in Virginia don't care where the vehicle is registered. If it's principally garaged in the county, you owe property taxes. The exception is for active duty military.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a friend that bought all of his vehicles used from a private party, and paid the seller his asking price in cash if the seller agreed to report the sale at $500.00.
He pays CA reg fee's of $63.00 per vehicle per year, including MH.
Please don't ask me who he is

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #49

Hi went to get my plates for my DP and they said it is based on what it cost new. Which was 217000. SSSSSOOOOO they said plates would be 938.00
rebel4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #50

I had showed them I had already paid the state taxes. My friend pays 850.00 for his tropical.
rebel4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy, I don't quite understand the differences in plate costs in MI. I know that the cost is based on value. I'm just wondering being I purchased mine thru a dealership they may know of a loop hole to get the plates at a lesser price. This just doesn't make any sense. I for sure can't see why there might be a difference between gas and a diesel rig. Maybe because they transfered plates from our old rig to the new that made the difference. Still the state should be smart enough to see that the value between the two is a considerable difference. I guess all I can say is if there is that big a difference in our state for something that costs over $200K versus something that is less than $200K is WOW!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Rebel,

Perhaps you need to visit (shop) at a different Secratary of State office.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
My Sons and grandchildren live in Alaska, last year I changed my Domicile to my oldest sons address, changed our driver's license and voter registration also. All of our vehicles are registered in Alaska. No sales tax, no income tax. The two year cost for registering a 40 foot Monaco coach was $100. A one time charge of $30 for personal AK plates. The car motorcycle, and trailer were all less than that for a two year registration.

Alaska will be my domicile until I finally decide on some property in a state where it is affordable to live for 6 months of the year and the weather is ideal for the time spent there. The other 6 months I plan to use my coach and travel to wherever the weather is acceptable. If it isn't warm enough, I will just keep moving farther South until it is.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #54

In California, the fees are based on sales price. When we bought our C two months ago, we paid $6800 in sales tax and $881 in DMV (plate) fees. All that money on a rig that we paid less than 70k for. And California is broke???
ed n kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
I have found a huge inequity here in NY but since the state's likely answer would be to raise the low one, I'll just be quiet about it. We had a 38 foot DutchStar that registration cost was about $70 for 2 years. Went back to a Fifth and now pay $225 for ONE year. You know darn well that to complain, this states only answer would be to raise the registration fees on MHs. Oh and don't forget 7% sales tax either.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #56

When changing your state, don't forget to look at RV licensing requirements. You may not be able to drive your RV until after you successfully pass your new state's test, if the license requirements are not the same as the state you left behind.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote