Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Please advise on the "Right Way" to sell my RV

We own a recently purchased Class C 2016 Coachman Leprechaun 26 DS. [moderator edit]

Life just got in the way and we have to sell. No emergency at all to sell, but our RV life is over.

Is there a POST where the selling process is chronological , so we know where to start. I apologize if this is not the correct location for the POST.

I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer and if you think you are cautious selling stuff, you should be in my head.

Thanks, this is a great site.

Tony Romano
Las Vegas
codefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Title in Hand -- does that mean there is no lien holder?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
See the link to the Classified section at the top menu bar.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Tony-

Sorry you have to sell.

There is no "right way" to sell an RV. There are opinions on the process, and anecdotes from other iRV2 users. Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "best way," "sell" and "RV" in them.

We have sold one coach, through the RVtrader Web site.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Title in Hand -- does that mean there is no lien holder?
Correct.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First step is to decide what your rig is worth. Everything has time and place utility. Your rig is worth more in the spring than in the fall, more in high cost areas like California than lower cost areas like Wyoming, etc. The internet allows wide area advertising, but your rig is worth a bit less to the guy who has to travel 1200 miles than to your neighbor, given all other things are equal. Remember, what you paid, and how much you want are immaterial. It's what the market will bear.

Go online to see what others are selling similar rigs for, iRV2 has a classified section, RVTrader is an industry standard, go checkout local RV lots and your local Craigslist.

If possible, do the transaction at your BUYERS bank. He will present you a bank check from that very bank, you can, then and there, cash that hummer, so he doesn't do anything funny. You can also present the bank check to the bank,, since you're sitting in their office, to make certain the check is valid.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Yes Sir. No Liens. Ready to go
Old 03-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #8

Code 4,

Retired LEO here. Sorry to hear about the change of plans. Maybe the situation will turn around someday?

re the sale of your coach, did you have it inspected prior to purchase? If so that document could add realistic value to your asking price.

If you did not have the coach inspected, consider having it done now, and with a clean bill of health it should result in a faster sale.

I bought and sold two Class A's on Craigslist but was paranoid to meet anyone at our home. I met the prospective buyer at a shopping mall and I asked for ID and an insurance card. If the prospective buyer is not comfortable with that, so be it and there are other buyers out there.
I also tried to tell the story when I took photographs of the rig, just as I was taught in crime scene investigation, starting from the outside and working in with a logical approach. Most buyers fall in love with the floor plans and decor without considering the condition of the drivetrain and chassis, IMO.

Good luck with your sale. AND all of the info I posted may be a moot point if you list it and it sells in two days!

Any further questions consider PM'ing me.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

I'm thinking that in addition to the seller being uncomfortable, the buyer may be just as uncomfortable. Both are strangers to each other.

We just got back from a 600+ one way trip to look at a MH at the sellers home and it was a pretty cool and untrusting relationship until we got to know each other a bit. Then we more or less became friends. The floor plan was great and the interior was in good shape as was the exterior, but unlike some I had a creeper along and crawling around underneath the MH and on the roof revealed enough to send us home empty handed.

The ad we responded to was on Craigslist, which could be another place for you to list your RV

I hope you can glean something from this to help with your sale, and best of luck with it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #10

I have sold several RV's and boats on Craig's List. Get a currency test pen, ask for cash and meet them at the RMV. The meeting at the bank sounds like another good idea, especially if they need to finance it.

The other way if you have a reputable sales outlet in town is to sell it on consignment with them.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #11

Thank you for the kindness of your reply Brother BRex.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #12

Clean it... thoroghly inside outside and storage
Stage it... male it look like the brochures
Take many good pics... sort crop retake
Do research and price it right
Advertise it... iRV2... RVT.com... RVTrader.com... Crsigslist. Most are free or low cost
Sau no to all offers to broker it or advertise it... legal but not worth it IMHO
Have a written / email offer form w specifics and allowing for buyer contongencies but with a deposit and time limit attached.
Accept cash or wire transfer. ..bank check only if you can both go to THEIR bank to verify it's legal and cash it.

Good luck w sale
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I used the rvtrader.com and we sold our coach in less then 2 weeks...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tony! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

First, thoroughly clean the rig, top to bottom, inside and out! Do any minor repairs needed. Make a LOT of pictures. Google the model number and search on RVTrader.com to see if there are others out there and what they are asking for them. Check the average retail price, without extras, on NADA. Decide what you will ask for it, and what the lowest figure you would take. Advertise it in the free classifieds here on IRV2, on Craigslist, and on RVTrader.com. Specify the you will only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and yours, NO EXCEPTIONS! That's the ONLY safe way! Finally, as others have said, only meed someone you don't know in a public place.

Sure hope whatever is causing you to sell the RV is resolved soon and you will be back with us in a new rig!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell