Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Please help?! Novice wiring and inverter help needed.

I don't know squat about RV wiring. My battery won't take a charge. Outlets work when on shore power but no lights, slide out etc. the battery is brand new. The inverter has a red light that's on and a green light on when plugged in and no blinking. It's a Todd 40 model. The fuses are all good in the box. However I can't find the inline fuse for the battery? The wire disappears between the inverter and the battery? Does the wire come out of inverter and to the circuit box then to the battery or does it go to the battery first? The RV is a 1999 fleet wood wilderness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnplesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's totally possible that the unit is actually just gone bad.

Here's a thread from repair folks discussing
https://www.electronicspoint.com/thr...problem.46674/
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

There's a possibility you might find a tripped circuit breaker somewhere near the battery. A common one has a little lever on it that moves downward (if the breaker is mounted with the wording right side up) when tripped. My Mom's rig had the same problem and after an hour or so of studying and shaking my head, i finally discovered hers had these. One was tripped, i believe because the battery connections were dirty. Resetting it took care of the problem.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
There's a possibility you might find a tripped circuit breaker somewhere near the battery. A common one has a little lever on it that moves downward (if the breaker is mounted with the wording right side up) when tripped. My Mom's rig had the same problem and after an hour or so of studying and shaking my head, i finally discovered hers had these. One was tripped, i believe because the battery connections were dirty. Resetting it took care of the problem.

There is nothing anywhere near the battery except wires and there isn't anything on the circuit breaker box or behind it that had a lever
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are talking about a CONverter rather than in INverter. The Todd PC40 is converts 120vac (shore power) to 12vdc for the lighting and such, and also acts as a battery charger. I'm not familiar with the indicator lights on the Todd, but a red light doesn't sound promising. It may well be the converter has failed.

You can disconnect the battery and use a voltmeter to test for voltage on the leads that connected to the battery (shore power must be on as well). If it isn't in the vicinity of 13v, the Todd is probably a goner. And apparently it is also preventing the battery from powering your lights and such as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think you are talking about a CONverter rather than in INverter. The Todd PC40 is converts 120vac (shore power) to 12vdc for the lighting and such, and also acts as a battery charger. I'm not familiar with the indicator lights on the Todd, but a red light doesn't sound promising. It may well be the converter has failed.

You can disconnect the battery and use a voltmeter to test for voltage on the leads that connected to the battery (shore power must be on as well). If it isn't in the vicinity of 13v, the Todd is probably a goner. And apparently it is also preventing the battery from powering your lights and such as well.

Thanks. I was hoping it was the 40 amp fuse I read about but can't find. Also for 6 months it would trip my outside gfci about once a week? I thought the outlet was going bad on my house
Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

Life happened and I'm just now getting back to this issue. I just pulled the battery and my charger is reading 100% charge?

So nothing is drawing the battery down and when the battery is hooked with or without shore power the lights and slide aren't working.

When shore power is hooked up only the outlets work.

So maybe the issue is not the converter. What could be between the battery and the lights or slide out?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You may have a battery disconnect relay/switch. All motorhomes have them and many trailers.

Your Todd Converter may have a pair of fuses designed to protect against reversed terminals on the battery. If those blow, the battery is in effect disconnected.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #9

Probably no way to answer this but where might that be on a trailer? There is another lead that comes off of the pos of batter that has a plug but there is no male wire anywhere and I don't believe that it's ever been hooked up.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
John, that converter should have breakers or fuses!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring