Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Plugged or not?

Hello. I have a new Coleman 29QBH. I Have read much info online all with mixed recomendations. Unit is in my back yard and I do have a power plug to plug it into. Do I keep it plugged or unplugged?
Ldduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There is no absolute answer. I keep my RV plugged in to keep the batteries charged and refrigerator cold. Since it's plugged in, I do need to check the water level of the batteries each month.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. We have both a trailer and class a that are in a storage lot when not in use. Neither of them are plugged in. Make sure you have a battery disconnect to use after you park it. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-.../dp/B001N729FS
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Batteries last longer if they are kept at full charge. I would keep it plugged in. But do keep an eye on the battery water level.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Ok awesome info thanks.
Ldduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Part of the answer depends on the converter/charger in the trailer. If its a smart, multi-stage charger, it's fine when plugged in 24/7. If it's a cheaper, single stage type, it can overcharge and boil off water from the cells. It's critical to watch the battery electrolyte level on those.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldduck View Post
Hello. I have a new Coleman 29QBH. I Have read much info online all with mixed recomendations. Unit is in my back yard and I do have a power plug to plug it into. Do I keep it plugged or unplugged?
I keep my Landmark fifth wheel plugged in. It allows me to keep the batteries maintained but more importantly the norcold refrigerator.
Keeping the norcold running prevents rust from accumulating in the stack ( exhaust vent ). There is a baffle in it. If it rust it blocks airflow and the performance of the cooling unit is less effective.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

I also have a norcold refrigerator. only turn it on a couple of days before I leave on trip. didn't think I should leave it on full time, like you do at home. thought a home refrigerator and RV norcold refrigerator were different technology ??

my RV in backyard and I keep it plugged in.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldduck View Post
Do you have a battery monitor in your Coleman?
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
I also have a norcold refrigerator. only turn it on a couple of days before I leave on trip. didn't think I should leave it on full time, like you do at home. thought a home refrigerator and RV norcold refrigerator were different technology ??

my RV in backyard and I keep it plugged in.
The metal exhaust on the norcold has a baffle inside. Condensation will create rust, and rust will create blockages in the flu restricting proper airflow. That being said leave it running on AC on setting 2 keeps the ammonia circulating and prevent rust from developing.
If you are curious open the top vent remove the flu cap. There's a wire at the top of the flu attached to this is the baffle. If you have rust it probably won't move. I'm still able to remove it and reinstall it with ease.
My norcold is -01/-02° in the freezer 33/38° interior frig temp on setting 3.
I also removed the sheet metal at the top vent and added two 6" fans blowing straight out. They come on with the Norcold factory fans..
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin View Post
There is no absolute answer. I keep my RV plugged in to keep the batteries charged and refrigerator cold. Since it's plugged in, I do need to check the water level of the batteries each month.
Same here. If ours isn't moving it's usually plugged in.