Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
PNW RV Brokers on Consignment? - Looking for Help to Sell

Hi Folks,

Nothing is constant in life but change and unfortunately we've had enough change in the last few months that we're looking to sell our rig.

Anyone have any good experiences selling via local RV brokers or consignment sales via dealerships in the WA/OR areas?

I know we could get more money going private party, but the time and effort I would need to put into it is a concern and I'm looking for some help.

Hope you're all well!
Gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 12:00 PM   #2

I don't think it's possible to find any dealer anywhere that didn't make you feel like you've been slimed when dealing with them. I used a consignment dealer outside of Oregon City, and they bent over backwards lying about the rig I eventually bought. Mainly because they didn't know anything. I had a good time fixing it all up though. Got an excellent price on it as I'd been reading RV'ing forums for a year so had a good idea of what to look for, how much it would cost to fix it, and what the value of the RV was.

There were a couple others that I went to in Portland and one I found I really wanted to work with as he seemed a straight up guy but he just didn't have the inventory. I think it was McKenzie RVs.

I will warn you about online consignment outfits. They are mostly a scam. The only one I would recommend is PPL down in Texas. Not sure they still do the online thing or not but they're the only ones I'd trust as far as I could throw a gallon jug of wine.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 PM   #3

I think a major dealer will consider a consignment arrangement. Bish's in Junction City will from memory, as will Premiere also in JC. Be careful doing a consignment as usually your insurance will not cover it while under consignment on a dealer lot. Check first before proceeding. Good luck.

You might indicate what coach you have while posting in the forum.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:58 AM   #4

I don't know if all make you feel like you've been slimed. As I said in another recent thread, we had a good experience at a small dealer in Fife but they went out of business a few years later so maybe that's why ...they treated their customers well both sellers and buyers. That may give the indication that they weren't good at making money.

But the nature of consignment is kind of making the customers feel that way because they are trying to make money on both sides. Consignment does fulfill a niche as some sellers, as you've mentioned, as they do not like to do a lot of what's involved in selling their RV privately. Consignment takes the hassle out of the hard negotiations especially but also marketing and dealing with the financial interaction after the deal has been made. A consignment dealership can take trades and arrange for financing that a private seller really doesn't have the means to accommodate.

We've used both consignment and have also sold our RVs privately. Yes, it is much easier using consignment but granted, you do leave a lot of money on the table by doing so. In our case, it was worth it as we had other things going on where we just didn't have time to market, show, negotiate, etc., etc.

At any rate, the dealers I recommended in the other thread were Puyallup RV and of course, the now relatively prominent consignment dealership in the Puget Sound area located in Everett, Maple Grove RV.

We almost went with Puyallup RV at the time --this was more than ten years ago, however-- as they explained things well and seemed relatively up front. But again, the smaller dealership in Fife made us feel the most comfortable and that's who we ended up using and had great experience actually. It's a shame they couldn't stay in business.

Maple Grove has become a fairly high volume used motorhome dealership. I remember over a decade ago when they were just a very small consignment dealer but focused on higher-end motorhomes. They do have a decent reputation for an RV dealership.

You might also want to check out Kirkland RV that is also up there in Everett (weirdly not in Kirkland) as they also have a relatively decent reputation.

Again, as you know, most RV dealerships do not have good reputations and they always will have customers who come away unhappy. So you want to pick one that has the least number of those unhappy customers ...goes without saying, I suppose.

Puyallup RV

Maple Grove RV

Kirkland RV
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell