Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which type oven do you prefer?
Standard LPG oven 31 34.07%
Convection oven 60 65.93%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Update from the former user of a propane oven (multiple travel trailers) to now using convection oven (current motorhome).

I would have preferred to have room for a propane oven instead of the convection. The microwave part of the convection oven is very good (we have a Sharp), and the oven is very easy to operate, but it isn’t very big. I do traditional cooking, and we seldom use the microwave except for frozen vegetables. I have cooked a small roast, a lot of bacon, a few cakes, and some cookies. My issue is that it is so limited in size! There are racks you are supposed to use when convection cooking so the air circulates the way it should. They take up a lot of room, and really restrict the size of items that can fit in the oven. You can bake without the racks, but the unit is not as even cooking. Oh, and for high temperatures (over 400), you need 50 amp or the generator running. For just the two of us, the size is fine, but I will be making any pot luck contributions in the Instant Pot or on the stove.

Summary: The convection oven is a good use of space, and it works fine for two. The propane oven was much larger and more versatile, but it took a lot of room. I am accepting of my convection oven, but it definitely has limitations.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
I don't have an induction cooktop, but if I did I would not be worried. The induction cook tops work on the principal of an oscillating magnetic field and have to be used with cookware made of a ferrous based material such as iron; something that a magnet will stick to. The oscillating magnetic field induces small currents in the cookware which produce their own magnetic fields. All these magnetic fields cause the molecules of the cookware to vibrate against each other and heat up. We're not affected by the magnetic fields, and these magnetic fields are only strong at the source. A few inches away the field strength is reduced dramatically.
I am well aware of how induction heating works. The pot gives you the mass to heat other things. The same technology is used to heat treat iron based metals by localized heating to temperatures too hot for you pot. The fields heat whatever iron is in them. Ever check the iron content of things like red blood cells?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 AM   #59

Each type of oven has its pros and cons. The real question is how do you plan to use your RV. If boon docking, then gas is the way to go. If full hookups are your style, then you can make your own choices.

Our microwave is convection and we have an oven and 3 burner stove. We are learning to use the convection microwave oven. Our biggest complaint is the 3 burner stove really heats up the RV. So we are going to purchase an induction single burner and use it. Seldom do we use more than 1 burner at a time.

Good luck on your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Over the years we have had both. The LP oven is larger but uses a lot of LP. The convection oven does a good job. Why have to break camp to fill the LP because of the stove usage? DW likes to cook. Convection is the way to go.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #61

If you run out of propane over using your oven it's because you are really long term or not paying attention. Oven usage is not usually a big deal compared to the furnace.

The real issue is that aside from the curiosity factor or how many like what few if any folks will change their minds over what kind of setup they prefer.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #62

DW loves to bake using an oven,but hasn’t experimented with micro/convection yet. She’s expressed not being real thrilled with RV standard oven as far as controlling temperature when baking . Have oven right now in TT, but next will be just mic/convection in MH next year !?
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRvindeb View Post
DW loves to bake using an oven,but hasn’t experimented with micro/convection yet. She’s expressed not being real thrilled with RV standard oven as far as controlling temperature when baking . Have oven right now in TT, but next will be just mic/convection in MH next year !?
Try placing a pizza stone or even a cast iron skillet in the bottom over the burner. It will even out the heat. My DW bakes in ours occasionally.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Try placing a pizza stone or even a cast iron skillet in the bottom over the burner. It will even out the heat. My DW bakes in ours occasionally.
Or use the convection oven!
Replace the stove with a cook top and a dishwasher.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #65

We like propane but respect what can happen if you are careless. I had a buddy get blown up in his unit about 20 years ago. Too much alcohol, a careless move, and total inebriation were the cause.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote