Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How many have pets travelling with them
Have pets 371 79.61%
Dont have pets 73 15.67%
Sometimes have pets 8 1.72%
Would stay at a pet free campground 54 11.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #99

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We always have our 3 rodents with us, can't imagine going on a hike without them. They are all over 10 now and are part of the family. In our camping experience, people with children are more of an issue than people with dogs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
All the conversations about barking dogs and problems with peoples pet make me wonder what the percentage of rvers have pets with them. In my travels, it would appear that a large number have dogs, and a very small percent have cats and other pets. Some have suggested the need for a pet free area of the campground, or perhaps a pet free campground. They have 55 plus campgrounds. Maybe a pet free campground is not that unrealistic. Obviously people with pets would not be going there. Just wondering how much of the rv population this would eliminate as potential customers to a campground. I personally don't currently have a pet, but almost all my travel companions do. You can do multiple votes, say if you have no pets and would stay at a pet free campground.
I have my loving best friend with me always, he only barks a few times to let me know that somebody's near. Who or why are we on this pet thing here. Let's talk about all the unsupervised screaming children out here. And all times of the night. We all know that kids do not know how to play or talk without screaming loudly.
j35bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #101

We travel everywhere with our 2 dogs.
Belgian Sheppard & Akia Lab cross.
90lb. each. Sometimes drive you nuts on a long trip (Vancouver BC to Las Vegas as we speak.
Great security and fun to be with.
Wouldn't leave home without them.
wratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35bonanza View Post
I have my loving best friend with me always, he only barks a few times to let me know that somebody's near. Who or why are we on this pet thing here. Let's talk about all the unsupervised screaming children out here. And all times of the night. We all know that kids do not know how to play or talk without screaming loudly.
Or how about the TV addicts that cant go camping without their news fix or the price is right or whatever, and are too cheap to invest in solar and batteries so they run their generator all day long and into the night until “quiet time”?

We dont leave our dogs unattended, or our grand kids for that matter, but we also try to find a site away from others with kids and dogs because of the issues raised earlier.

Fortunately most people like to be near facilities so we can usually find something on a corner of the outer loop so we can enjoy some peace and quiet with our dogs and away from generators, kids, loud music, and yes, other dogs.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht View Post
We retired (mostly) in 2014 to a new area away from where we lived. We've got two small parrots who need attention a few times per day. Finding a bird sitter wasn't easy, but we found one eventually. Before we found a sitter, the only way we could go away was buy an RV so we could bring them with us.
We had stayed at a hotel or two with them, but the pet friendly hotels weren't as clean as the non-pet friendly hotels so we bought an RV. Would we have bought an RV if we didn't have pets, probably not.
Exactly! Is it the pets, the owners or the hotel staff at fault? Animals are filthy. They belong outdoors.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:58 AM   #104

‘Rocky’ (the cat) goes everywhere with us.....best camping cat ever! Doesn’t bark, doesn’t need walking, you can leave him all day and not worry about his ‘bathroom’ issues...will sit in the doorway while we are outside making sure we don’t leave him behind...ok..he is my world❤️❤️❤️❤️
RonandSueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I find this topic always interesting. We love dogs, always had them.

Before I met my wife I used to travel around the country with a St.Bernard and a german shepard mix( Franco and Ginger ) while working as a boilermaker and a pipefitter.

Years later we'd met, married and had a family and Franco and Ginger were gone we got a chesapeake bay retriever and named her Ruby. A fantastic family dog, she loved us as we loved her.

When we had to travel and couldn't take her with us, she would be sick for days after we got home. We tried everything from kennels to people dog sitting at our house.

As time went by she would mope for almost 2 weeks and then WE felt horrible.
After she was put down after 11 years, we were devastated . When people say its like losing a family member, its true.

Fast forward 12 years. Haven't had a dog since. Kids are gone I'm retired wife soon. We travel more than ever, Europe, Caribbean,Mexico etc.

Will buy our Class A soon to see this country fully and travel north america.

We will not have any pets. I get to attached, and I don't plan to stop traveling. My kids have dogs so I have that.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #106

We have 2 dogs, which we rescued from Humane Society, no-kill shelters. These are our 5 & 6 animals over the past 35 years. I can't imagine life without a dog and I am almost 62 years old. I always check to see if Campgrounds allow pets. For the most part, Campgrounds understand that most pet owners see pets as a part of the family and are quite willing to accomodate our furry family members. Some Campgrounds have restrictions on sizes and breeds so it's always good to call ahead. Happy trails with you and your furry friends.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #107

Brings to mind a recent post about most people selling their old RV claiming it is pet free yet the poll here shows that almost 8 out of 10 who responded are not in the pet free crowd.

Hmmm....
Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out our log in

30 years ago we bought our first RV so we could take our dogs with us on vacation. My wife came up with the vanity plate 4 R LABS. For the most part we find pet owners are considerate of other campers. If there is an exception it's the small dog owners who fail to pick up their dogs waste.
4 R LABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99 View Post
Dog and Parrot are always with us. That is a large part of why we enjoy traveling in an RV.
Ditto, We travel with 65 lb dog and two Parrots. We have met a lot of nice people because of them. Most of the people that don't clean up after their pets are also the ones that leave trash behind. have not experienced dogs barking to the point of a nuance. Our pets are part of our family, no pets no camp!
Nikiski two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #110
EJG

Gypsy, our 22# mini Australian Shepherd / German Shepherd goes on every trip we take
Couldn’t imagine traveling in our RV without her.
EJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #111
EJG

Gypsy, our 22# mini Australian Shepherd / German Shepherd goes on every trip we take
Couldn’t imagine traveling in our RV without her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	987AD8F5-6D50-4809-ADF1-3BFA5705B533.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	263573   Click image for larger version

Name:	5468821A-52A8-477E-8399-2B23CC7B2B4F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	263582  

Click image for larger version

Name:	52E29A52-3FCD-4388-86AF-5BCA06E44158.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	631.1 KB
ID:	263583   Click image for larger version

Name:	550F313E-28D5-48E5-836F-C75601FD35AD.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	263584  

EJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #112

The short answer as to why RVers travel with their pets is because the pets are part of the family. Also, having to board a pet for long periods of time is costly, and is also hard on both pets and owners. Not everyone has a wonderful friend or relative to leave their animals with when they travel. We used to travel with 3 medium dogs and a cat in a 26 ft. Itasca Sunstar. Why did we do this? We had the pets before we bought the camper! We are now down to 1 medium and 1 small dog. We would not consider motorhome life without our animals. They are good travelers, don't bark (unless someone knocks directly on the camper door), and we pick up after them (while also picking up after other owners who have not done so). We appreciate, and follow the rules for, RV dog parks. We would not be interested in staying in a pet-free park, or one that charges extra pet fees. And while I am at it, we tried staying in a "seniors/adults only" park once. Never again. Give me a healthy, diverse family campground anytime!
borgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving