Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #29

Our first trip last year.

Back into the site...no problem. I try to disconnect the weight distribution bars and they wont budge. Trailers was jacked up..etc just couldn't get them off.

Then clear skies turned grey and it starts pouring and I am fighting with the hitch "dang bars"

40min later..sun is back out.....

A person comes walking by..yells "did you release the pin?"

DOH!!!!

Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I'd like to know how many intentionally left someone behind at a gas station.
I'd like to leave my wife behind; but the dog pound would most likley pick her up and uthinize her.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #31

In December I hit ice/snow in our drive -- jack-knifed into a tree. Caused $7,000 in damage to our less then a year old 5er. Thank God for insurance. Tree is now firewood!
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #32

Backing my rig up has caused me the most damage. Although minor damages, backing is the most hazardous.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #33

Stupid seems to correlate to experience. Motorcycles have the same learning curve. New to RV'ing I bet takes at least a year to get used to it and 6 months with a new rig with previous experience would have higher potential for stupid. That said I had been doing it for years and my neighbor came over to talk with me while I was unhooking. I talked with him and dropped the rig on the rails of the pick up having failed to deploy the jacks. Lesson on that one was not to allow myself to be interrupted or if interrupted go back to the beginning of the routine. Another famous event in my legacy was rushing home from work, having loaded the rig the night before into the wee hours, and departing for a motorcycle rally. I ended up taking the steps out that trip. On our first rig we had a faulty hitch and it became disengaged as we accelerated to get on the interstate. It disconnected resulting in damage to the rig and the bed of the truck. Shame on me for not doing it right. Never asked why as I knew I had done it wrong. The second time it came off at a higher speed starting a brush fire and being much more dramatic. The hitch was found to be defective. I learned to ask questions and not to assume. That same rig also taught me about tire life expectancy. It was a seven year old 5r with good tires except they were 7 years old. One blew out doing some damage to the rig with a lesson of tire life being taught. We drive a motorhome now and much of the knowledge gained from the 5r's has translated to the MH. Extensive use of spouse when backing or trying to get into a tight spot is used. Not driving when tired, only backing when there are eyes on and not assuming anything avoid a lot of errors. When getting ready to go or setting up no one distracts me and if they do I go back to the beginning. Our toad lost one of its locks on the towbar but the pin did not come out while on a trip. Frequent checks of the rig are important and had I not seen the missing lock we could have had a serious problem. These are some simple things I have learned over the years and I am certain there will be more. I have also found the forums helpful. Weights, tire pressures, maintaining the rig, and other important aspects of RV ownership are reinforced and advised. Hope this is helpful.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
One of my biggest bone head moves was on our new 5ver while preparing for our maiden trip. During the hookup I was in a hurry and forced the 7 way connector into its receptical. No issues until I turned on the lights going down I-95 and the trailer brakes locked up. It took me a few minutes to figure out I had the connector in 180 out.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #35

I've been Rving since i was a teenager I'm 76 now this fourm isn't big enough to list all the (little) mistakes I've made. keep at it long enough and youll make every dumb one in the book.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most expensive goof was in paying attention to the Campground supplied guide to put me into a site. Scraped the back half side of the rig along a RR tie in an upright position and sticking up about 3 feet. I was so busy watching him guide me, I forgot to watch. About $2000.

I do not include the poor yearling deer I bounced down the highway when she stupidly moved into my path. $13,000.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #37

When I get in a campgroud and some one wants to (help); I just stop the motorhome get out and (as nicely as I can) tell them thank you but it just confuses me when I get (help). they usualy stand around hoping I'll run into something.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok I admit it : I have left the steps out (more than once ) now we have steps that come in automatically, and I backed into our clothsline pole afterwards I used it in a campfire I have yet to leave anyone behind or run out of gas I dont think I will mix up the lights I am pretty carefull about pulling my car.
Bob
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #39

I forgot to retract the awning above the steps of the MH. Everyone was yelling and waving at me so I came to an immediate stop. Thankfully I did not hit any tree limbs. Thanks for good neighbors.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #40

On my first trip in my old '70 Winnebago Indian, I found out that the gas gauge was inaccurate. I ran out in the entrance to the gas station, blocking it. There was just enough fuel in the float bowl to start it back up and sputter it to the pump. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank even though the gauge in my new motorhome is more accurate. the worst part was when my wife and mother-in-law got out and went inside the store and acted like they didn't know me until I got out of the entrance.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
I've done the antenna thing. I found a bright orange tag that said REMEMBER TO LOWER ANTENNA BEFORE DRIVING. Well as the crank is in the bedroom, I put a piece of velcro on that sign and stick it on the wall above BR slide switch so that the sign covers the switch.

DW pulled the kitchen slide in without checking the drawers; one drawer was out and was damaged. We now double check each other before moving a slide. 4 eyes are better than 2.

I'm sure there are more, just don't remember them (or maybe block them out)
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #42

In 1998 we made a deal to trade in our old 5er for a brand new one. I hooked it up for the trip to the dealer and was sure everything was perfect. I pulled out of the driveway and made a sharp left. That is the very moment that I learned that a tailgate left down will slice through the front of a fifth wheel like a steak knife. The dealer was very understanding and charged me only for the cost of parts. I won't do that again.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote