Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 07:15 AM   #29

My experience may be a little unusual due to the sheer volume of major problems I have experienced with my pos, but I would submit that the quality control problems did not start with the pandemic. They have existed for years and are possibly coming to light now due to the increase in sales prompted by the pandemic. In other words more people buying equals more complaints. I am sorry but those putting blame on the consumer or the factory workers are missing the boat. Corporate ownership is not always a good thing and the consumer will ultimately determine who fails and who succeeds. As long as we keep buying, they will keep producing garbage. The absence of regulation contributes to this "buyer beware"/wild west environment. By the way, I currently own a KIA and have owned Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac.......and so on. The KIA has a 5 year, 60000 mi warranty (100000 mi powertrain) and I had a blown engine on my Mercedes with the 3 year 36000 mile warranty......You tell me?
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2022, 07:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Propchief; RV's, unlike automobiles, lack the spare parts inventory to get them running promptly.
The service manage of Camping World explained to me how the RV repair system works.

1. You make an appt. to drop off your RV. This is just that, to drop off your RV and relate the problems you want corrected.

2. Your RV is added to the bottom of the rotation list for inspection and diagnosis.

3.When your RV reaches the top of the list it is pulled into a bay, inspected and diagnosed, then returned to the storage lot. Parts are ordered.

4. When ordered parts arrive your RV is added to the bottom of the waiting repair list, and the rotation process repeats.

5.If for some reason ordered parts do not fit or correct the problem, the entire process begins again, starting with number 2.

Right or wrong, that's how it happens with RV repair shops.

A little-known fact: motorhome end caps are discontinued when that model ceases production. Molds are sold to a vendor usually and made when ordered only. Sometimes molds are simply destroyed due to lack of storage space.
A local body shop showed me a 2019 gas MH in his lot that hit 2 deer. Front cap destroyed. It had been there since Jan.2021 while they tried to locate a used front cap, as the original molds had already been destroyed.
The MH was too new for a supply of used caps in salvage yards, so waiting was the only option.
Meanwhile the MH owner was making monthly payments = insurance etc. and unable to use their "new" MH.
As far as I know It's still there today, either waiting on parts or insurance company to declare it totaled.
Yup, and that system is seriously broken. For someone from Camping World to say that shows what a serious problem this is since they are huge, have a nationwide network, and should have access to parts. It's a poor excuse.

Make the sale, and worry about problems later. This is their tactic.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Some might not be aware of the difference

Here's the same group reporting different results, depending on how long you keep it.

I was responding to Ray's comments about buying an entry-level brand and expecting premium features. Regardless of price, it's my opinion that any new vehicle - be it car or RV/TT - shouldn't have a laundry list of problems upon delivery that keeps you from using the unit when it's brand new. What other high-ticket consumer item has this reputation? We've convinced ourselves that somehow this is "normal" to have ongoing issues with a major investment. We need to change that thinking.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #32

As long as the American buying public appreciates (and wants to spend their money on) glitz and electronic gizmos over quality, nothing will change.

Have said for a decade if manufacturer #1 spends $10k more on quality (better trained labor, higher quality components, better design, serious QC,etc) and manufacturer #2 spends that same $10k on leather interior, "bells and whistles", etc, who do you think will sell more to the U.S. buying public???

They ARE doing what we ask! It would be up to us to change our preferences.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Here's the same group reporting different results, depending on how long you keep it.

I was responding to Ray's comments about buying an entry-level brand and expecting premium features. Regardless of price, it's my opinion that any new vehicle - be it car or RV/TT - shouldn't have a laundry list of problems upon delivery that keeps you from using the unit when it's brand new. What other high-ticket consumer item has this reputation? We've convinced ourselves that somehow this is "normal" to have ongoing issues with a major investment. We need to change that thinking.

What this guy says^^^^^I get paying more for "Real Corinthian Leather". I even get paying for "German Engineering". What I would expect with my less expensive brand new motorhome is that everything be functional. That the cheaper seats last more than two years, the dash A/C longer than 2 months, that the window frames not leak.....well you get the picture. I expect that my KIA will not fall apart after a couple of months.
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's not hard to understand why KIA vs. Benz complaints/repairs ratios are inversely related to the vehicles price.
Buyers of high end products are going to complain much more about the quality of the components, as their expectations of luxury and all that goes with it are high, whereas a KIA buyer is just trying to get from A to B.
These two groups of buyers have a totally different mindset as to what they are expecting and will demand.
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssr View Post
What this guy says^^^^^I get paying more for "Real Corinthian Leather". I even get paying for "German Engineering". What I would expect with my less expensive brand new motorhome is that everything be functional. That the cheaper seats last more than two years, the dash A/C longer than 2 months, that the window frames not leak.....well you get the picture. I expect that my KIA will not fall apart after a couple of months.

^^Hits nail on head. Well said.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:13 AM   #36

We had quality manufacturers, people chose glitz and the latest poorly designed poorly implemented gadget. The manufacturers who did it right went out of business.

Quality problems have existed for years, sales continued strong for most of the time. The worst quality has doubtless been during covid, it was also the strongest sales. As soon as consumers seriously demand quality and sales tank the manufacturers will listen. But right now they’re responding to a long period of quality doesn’t matter as long as it has glitz.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
It's not hard to understand why KIA vs. Benz complaints/repairs ratios are inversely related to the vehicles price.
Buyers of high end products are going to complain much more about the quality of the components, as their expectations of luxury and all that goes with it are high, whereas a KIA buyer is just trying to get from A to B.
These two groups of buyers have a totally different mindset as to what they are expecting and will demand.
In many cases I found the exact opposite to be true. I worked 15 years for a Cadillac Oldsmobile dealership. It was surprising sometimes when a Cadillac customer would come for scheduled service we would find something with their car that needed attention. When we would bring this to their attention they would just shrug their shoulders and tell us they would have it taken care of sometime.
Then the base Olds Cutlass owner would come in. This is the guy who couldn't afford a new car and struggled with making payments. The simplest little thing wrong was the end of mankind. Like the sky was falling. It had to be taken care of right then and there. No way were they going to chance a small item turning into a major repair bill. These people were the ones who thought cleaning off a dumping of bird poop should be a warranty item.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:17 AM   #38

Quote:
This is a stereotype and, in my experience, not accurate.

I've owned both, and at the same time (well, one was a Hyundai), purchased new a week apart. The Hyundai (our third Hyundai) was the shortest owner experience I've had at just over 9 months. We loved the Merc. The Hyundai had nearly every option the Merc had, but the Hyundai had a ton of issues, including the quality of the paint and interior. The front of the Hyundai looked sandblasted from the road after 9 months, but the Merc still looked new.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
This is a stereotype and, in my experience, not accurate.

I've owned both, and at the same time (well, one was a Hyundai), purchased new a week apart. The Hyundai (our third Hyundai) was the shortest owner experience I've had at just over 9 months. We loved the Merc. The Hyundai had nearly every option the Merc had, but the Hyundai had a ton of issues, including the quality of the paint and interior. The front of the Hyundai looked sandblasted from the road after 9 months, but the Merc still looked new.

I'm surprised it took you 4 posts to respond...
Old 10-24-2022, 10:50 PM   #40

Which manufacturers are having the most problems?
SnowG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:59 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Here’s an example of German (Mercedes) Engineering, 1998 SL500 roadster. In the trunk under the spare tire was an electric air compressor with its associated storage tank and pneumatic lines, solenoids, etc. The only thing it did was provide compressed air to operate the door locks! As far as I could tell, they just did it because they could. The convertible top mechanism was possibly the most complex electro-mechanical device I have ever seen.
Great car, lots of fun but stupidly expensive to maintain.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #42

Quote:
I'm surprised it took you 4 posts to respond...
Your point? You posted your opinion, I posted my first-hand experience.

Tags
quality