Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
i have done pritty much what you are talking about my gen set has a 50 amp outlet my drier has a 30 amp i bought 2 pigtales and put them togther 1 50a and the outher 30a just make sure you turn off main breaker before powering up with the gen set

Could you clarify about using a dryer outlet which is 220. Does it power both sides of panel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #30

Just a question. When the genny on the motorhome is started doesn't the ATS disconnect the shore power cord?
Old 12-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Just a question. When the genny on the motorhome is started doesn't the ATS disconnect the shore power cord?
The shore power cord is not used. The genset's output wiring going to a transfer switch or female receptacle (if there is no transfer switch) is where the power would come from. A separate power cord would need to be made up to go from the genset to the house.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #32

Quote:

I thought op was talking about back feeding during a power outage with portable genny.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #33

Quote:
An Automatic Transfer Switch first disconnects the previous source, then connects to the new source. The shore power cord is isolated when the generator is running.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #34

Don't do it - you would be putting lives at risk if you miss something.
Pay an electrician to install a proper generator tap and transfer switch. No issues, no risks, no fires, no deaths and no prison for you if you make a mistake.

I have the above setup at my house and an 8.5kw generator to power it.

Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
I estimate 6 pages of replies before this thread closes.
As an electrician who has been online, in various RV forums for two decades, I'm pretty sure if I printed every page of replies to this topic, every time it was asked, I would have wasted several reams of copy paper by now.

Usually it involves correct replies, incorrect replies, a limited amount of stupidly dangerous advice and statements, and my favorite, "If you don't hire a qualified, licensed electrician, you, your wife, and your cats will all die a horrible death."

Old 12-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #36

I don't understand the mentality behind this proposal. It comes up all the time on forums like this. Somebody wants to jury rig something up "just in case". Well why not install it correctly just in case? If you anticipate needing to power your home with a generator the intelligent thing to do is do it right so it will be safe and reliable any time you need it.
What's with the suicide cords? A male "flanged inlet" is readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. to that a "regular" male to female cord can be used. They cost under $100
Interlocks are readily available to fit any brand of panel you may have. They cost about $70 from geninterlock.com and can be installed in less than 15 minutes.
So for less than $200 and an hour of your time you can have a completely safe, foolproof, and code compliant installation. Instead these people with half million dollar motorhomes want to rig some dangerous crap up that could potentially kill someone. Maybe you will always remember to turn off the main on your suicide rig; will your wife? Or your kids?
Do it right or don't do it at all.
I'm a master electrician if it maters.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #37

We installed a Generac whole house generator to our house. It runs on our propane…does a monthly run test and has saved us on more than a few occasions. At one point we didn’t think they were allowed either but we got it installed with no trouble. Worth every penny.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
Can I use a 50 to 30 amp reducer to plug my 50 amp portable generator cord in to the house via the RV outlet?
Thanks for you help,

NO! I take your description to mean you have a 50 amp generator providing the power. Driving 50 amps of power thru a circuit designed for 30 amps is asking for a fire. The 30 amp wiring will over heat and melt or burn any insulation along with your house.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #39

Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Two key statements here. First an electrical made a cord to a switch. Which I’m going to as meaning a generator transfer switch. Note an electrician did it.

Second. In your old house you had a 30 amp generator putting power into a 50 amp circuit. Now your talking about a 50 amp generator pushing into a 30 amp circuit.

I see fire and flames. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Also make sure you have at least a $5,000,000 umbrella insurance policy to pay death benefits to the lineman you accidentally kill restoring power 2 houses away.
Stop telling the guy he is going to kill someone. He obviously knows what to do ie turn the main breaker off. Only Fools don't do that. If he turns the main breaker off the house is isolated. He's asking about something in an emergency and if none of you have ever been an emergency before then don't comment.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #40

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance...6HDK/202213700
Old 12-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkronz View Post
Stop telling the guy he is going to kill someone. He obviously knows what to do ie turn the main breaker off. Only Fools don't do that. If he turns the main breaker off the house is isolated. He's asking about something in an emergency and if none of you have ever been an emergency before then don't comment.
By preparing a cheater cord to cheat code the OP is merely preparing to create the emergency rather than prepare for one.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Portable Gen to feed house

Quick question to this thread :
In a typical class "A" RV there is a 50 amp power cord with a male end that you would plug into shore power. There is an internal transfer switch that allows shore power to supply the RV. When the generator is used the transfer switch cuts out the power cord ; if it did not, you would have an exposed male plug live every time the generator was running. I'm not sure how you would back-feed into a home with the RV generator without by-passing the transfer switch.

Tags
generator