Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #1

Portable Solar Panel - Carried on RV Hood

Portable Solar Panel - Carried on RV Hood

Planning to mount easily removable solar panel on RV hood.

It Will Be:

1. Hooked to the single starter batt and dual batt deep cell house bank.

2. Easily detachable from hood; extension wire available so can be moved into sun if on a trip RV becomes parked in shade.

3. Auto shutoff for when batts reach full charge.

My Question:

When running drive engine alternator or genset charger power into batts... will either of their DC inputs damage the solar panel?

Thanks for input!

Art
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

I assume you are using a charge controller of some kind for the solar. If so it is a one way system.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I assume you are using a charge controller of some kind for the solar. If so it is a one way system.
Although I plan to use charge controller - If I don't use a charge controller... could the charge from alternator or gen set charger back feed into solar panel and damage it?
Old 02-09-2021, 05:38 AM   #4

Deleted
Old 02-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Although I plan to use charge controller - If I don't use a charge controller... could the charge from alternator or gen set charger back feed into solar panel and damage it?
You need to use a charge controller for several reasons, researchable via Google.

A frugal solution:

https://www.eco-worthy.com/products/...for-camping-rv

It comes with a PWM controller that is serviceable, though not the best. 120 watt folding framed panels. Just pick up a 12 gauge extension cord to deploy the panel remotely. I used two 24' cords. With 50' voltage drop starts to come into play so I only used both when required. I try to avoid parking in the sun. I used simple SAE two pin connectors for plugging in. I also use a light 30' chain and a cheap lock to help the panels not walk away.

These panel kits are also at Amazon but they play pricing tricks there. They were $162 a couple of days ago and are now $183. I've seen them keep going up and down since I bought a two sets there last November.

I pitched the controllers and rewired the panels for a series connection to better utilize the Victron MPPT controller. This is a 2S2P setup, 240 watts, with a nominal 24 voltage. We seem to use about 30 to 50 amp hours per day so this system works for us. We have very rarely had to run the genny to charge the batteries, and then only due to several cloudy days in a row.

There is a lot to learn about solar if you want a well performing system. The above panel will give OK performance with almost plug and play ease, without all of the education.

You will also see fold up panels with fabric "frames". These would seem like a good idea until you delve into the long term reviews. Sun light does degrade them, to the point that one seller advised in the small print not to use in sun light(?!?!????).
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #6

On the hood? How are you going to protect it from rocks and road debris?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
On the hood? How are you going to protect it from rocks and road debris?
Good question!

Seeing as solar panel need not charge while on road trip [drive engine's alternator simultaneously tops off all batts in RV]. I'll have a quick way to remove the panel for on road. The placement location on hood that I'm considering is because that would be a really EZ location to access when parked. Also, the single starter batt and dual deep cell house bank are set in the engine compartment just inches in back of hood.

Guess if I wanted to let the panel remain on hood for on road conditions... I could fashion a quick clip screen or fabric cover.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
You need to use a charge controller for several reasons, researchable via Google.

A frugal solution:

https://www.eco-worthy.com/products/...for-camping-rv

It comes with a PWM controller that is serviceable, though not the best. 120 watt folding framed panels. Just pick up a 12 gauge extension cord to deploy the panel remotely. I used two 24' cords. With 50' voltage drop starts to come into play so I only used both when required. I try to avoid parking in the sun. I used simple SAE two pin connectors for plugging in. I also use a light 30' chain and a cheap lock to help the panels not walk away.

These panel kits are also at Amazon but they play pricing tricks there. They were $162 a couple of days ago and are now $183. I've seen them keep going up and down since I bought a two sets there last November.

I pitched the controllers and rewired the panels for a series connection to better utilize the Victron MPPT controller. This is a 2S2P setup, 240 watts, with a nominal 24 voltage. We seem to use about 30 to 50 amp hours per day so this system works for us. We have very rarely had to run the genny to charge the batteries, and then only due to several cloudy days in a row.

There is a lot to learn about solar if you want a well performing system. The above panel will give OK performance with almost plug and play ease, without all of the education.

You will also see fold up panels with fabric "frames". These would seem like a good idea until you delve into the long term reviews. Sun light does degrade them, to the point that one seller advised in the small print not to use in sun light(?!?!????).
Thanks, Steve. - I placed in my folder. Will use as reference. - Best, Art

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel