Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Portable Solar Panels

I just received a new set of 130 watt Portable Solar Panels from CEA Solar in Surprise, AZ (RV Solar Power - RV Solar Panel - Solar Panel Battery Charger). It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to set it all up and I was immediately charging my house batteries. I wanted a portable setup because I am a camp host in various state parks and can't guarantee finding a southern exposure, and I am usually parked under a canopy of trees. The 16' cord and 25' extension cord will allow me to move the panels anywhere so I can catch some rays!

The panels can charge the batteries via a 12 volt port, or with alligator clips or post rings hooked directly to the house batteries.

I have been parked with all systems running for 4 days now and am still showing fully charged batteries...my panels work!

These panels will hopefully mean I don't have to run my generator so much while living off the grid in Alaska and the Mojave National Preserve!
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Be very careful they do not grow legs. For others, the cost per watt is way too high!
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solar panels remain in place if they are the shaded rest area for your prize pitbull.

I know way too many pitbulls who are creme puffs in disguise.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

I bought these in Quartzsite

These panels work great. CEA Solar has a option for a motion sensor alarm for about $20. I put a cable lock through the handle and run it through my wheels. I think a generator is more interesting for the average thief.
My setup from them was about $4.00 per watt but at that price comes the wire, connectors and charge controller. I looked at rooftop and by the time you factored in the installation cost, rooftop was more expensive then the portables from CEA. Besides, try to park in the shade with rooftop panels!
Bob_Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

I have been looking at the CEA Solar portable panels and they seem pretty reasonable if you factor in the installation cost of a conventional system. I also came across this one on eBay and elsewhere that seems interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLAR-PANEL-...item2a1bcbdf57

Does anyone have any experience or input on this unit?
Meanderthals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthals View Post
I have been looking at the CEA Solar portable panels and they seem pretty reasonable if you factor in the installation cost of a conventional system. I also came across this one on eBay and elsewhere that seems interesting:

SOLAR PANEL Folding Kit Mono 200 Watt 12v or 24v Power Camping RV RP$1200 | eBay

Does anyone have any experience or input on this unit?
I saw something that looks just like those (the ebay ones) at Quartzsite too. The legs just fold out and are not really adjustable for a correct tilt. The other thing is get this: Those cells are chinese and they were advertising it as if proud. The CEA ones are German cells and the legs are totally adjustable.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

This is scary! I was just about to ask if anyone had purchased a portable set from CEA and what their thoughts were on the quality and utility when you posted.

I agree that if you factor in the controller and adaptability of these, they are competitive.

Due to the small roof size on my B, this is the only option I would consider.

Vicap, could you post a few pictures of your set-up?

Thanks.......................Rob
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Any options on a system that would help trickle charge a deep cycle battery on a tt. Looking for something portable, yet cheap / cost effective. On the Ebay link above I see 30 watt solar panels for $50 -$60, but what other components are needed to complete the system?

We occasionally camp in National Parks where your off the grid. This summer we will be in the Smoky's for a total of 9 nights in the park.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Any options on a system that would help trickle charge a deep cycle battery on a tt. Looking for something portable, yet cheap / cost effective. On the Ebay link above I see 30 watt solar panels for $50 -$60, but what other components are needed to complete the system?

We occasionally camp in National Parks where your off the grid. This summer we will be in the Smoky's for a total of 9 nights in the park.....
You need to calculate your power useage to figure out how large a panel you will need. Figure out how many amp hours you use in a day and then compare the amp production of the solar. My 130 produces about 7.5 amps per hour times 8 hours of good sun equals 60 amps. I have 2 batteries and am conservative when dry camping. I only use an average of 50 amp hours (approx) 1/2 of one battery so it works.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
This is scary! I was just about to ask if anyone had purchased a portable set from CEA and what their thoughts were on the quality and utility when you posted.

I agree that if you factor in the controller and adaptability of these, they are competitive.

Due to the small roof size on my B, this is the only option I would consider.

Vicap, could you post a few pictures of your set-up?

Thanks.......................Rob
Enroute to Alaska right now...will post pics as soon as I get set up next week.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #11

Looking forward to your pictures and thoughts on the unit.

I asked about these portable units on another forum and almost all responses were that they were grossly overpriced.

I understand you save on the installation costs, and have more options with regards to positioning them for their best performance, but am really interested in your opinion after you get set up.

Thanks......................Rob
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
There are ways to build your own portable system relatively inexpensively and with good quality components. Buying components from eBay my portable portion of my solar capability came in at less than $150 and is at 140 W.
I was lucky to find a STECA controller for less than $40 and a used Unisolar 140W flexible panel for $65. Those were unusual deals and came after looking for some months. BUT looking today a Morningstar 20A SunSaver for about $100 a SunSaverDuo (two batteries) for $170 One seller on eBay is advertising your choice of five different polycrystalline panels for $60 from 10 to 100 W each, choose the size that you can store easily put hinges on two of them.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
Looking forward to your pictures and thoughts on the unit.

I asked about these portable units on another forum and almost all responses were that they were grossly overpriced.

I understand you save on the installation costs, and have more options with regards to positioning them for their best performance, but am really interested in your opinion after you get set up.

Thanks......................Rob
So far so good. I spent another 5 minutes setting them up once I got to my destination and am still experimenting with the capabilities. I had the inverter on all day with my computer plugged in and was still reading 12.6 off my batteries even though it got a little cloudy in the afternoon. I'll try a bit more load tomorrow while at work to see if they stay charged. Since I'm in Alaska the literature doesn't really help for setting up to the Land of the Midnight Sun so will be playing around with them the next few weeks. So far I'm very pleased.

PS - mine is the small one on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	20698  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Keep us posted, this is interesting!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags