Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

portable supplemental transportation

"happy wife, happy life".

Truer words never spoken. In that spirit, I am trying to figure out a way to fully partake in my passion while still keeping my wife happy.

My wife enjoys getting away from the stresses of the city and relaxing around the campsite with a good book, listening to some music, grabbing a snooze, etc. I enjoy those things too, but I enjoy hiking and am an avid photographer (mostly wildlife, but some landscape too). Suitable trailheads are seldom within walking distance of the campground. My wife would not be "enthused" if I woke up at 5AM, drove the camper van to the trailhead, parked it in the "less than scenic" parking lot and disappeared for four hours! I am trying to figure out what options I might have for "portable supplemental transportation".

The Hymer Aktiv is about 20' long and doesn't have space to store a scooter or bike inside it. The outside back has a left-offset spare tire "housing". It is on a hinge that lowers to the ground, at which point the tire would be removed and used. In its normal upright, locked position, the left back door can only be opened 3" to 4", so all access to the back storage (folding chairs, BBQ, electrical cord) is through the right door and any solution needs to maintain this access.

I have thought about a mountain bike; perhaps modified with one of those conversion kits to turn it into a a motorized bicycle that can do 20-30MPH. But I don't know how that would mount onto the van, given the tire housing on the left and the critical access through the right door.

Has anybody had a similar challenge and, if so, what was your solution?

Thanks!
AktivCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

A small lightweight trailer to haul your bike(s)? Could toss on a couple kayaks too! I have not personally used one but the "Go Easy" trailer is good for bikes, Kayaks, or both. Weighs less than 300#.

BTW, I have a similar arrangement with Mrs Ldubs. I'm typically out early fishing or something while she sleeps in. Because we have a TT, I don't have your issue.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

Bike mount on front of van, bike mount on roof of van or the small trailer mentioned above
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

How about a front mounted hitch receiver and you could put a bike up there? I'm making an assumption you live up north somewhere so you may be less susceptible to the bike seriously restricting the airflow to your radiator.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Bike mount on front of van, bike mount on roof of van or the small trailer mentioned above
Hmmm, a bike mount on the front of the van just might be an option. Straightforward and shouldn't (?!) cost too much. The roof isn't an option as it has the AC and several solar panels. I am disinclined to consider towing a trailer, as one of the appeals of the Hymer Aktiv is that is is only 20' long and really is just like a slightly oversized family fan when it comes to driving and parking. I would lose that with a tow.
AktivCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AktivCanuck View Post
Hmmm, a bike mount on the front of the van just might be an option.
Putting a bike on the front of the RV (or even in the back) is extremely hard on the bike and more so if you have an electric. To keep it in good condition you'd need a tight cover over it.

Do you ever have to clean the front of your RV and windshield of bugs? Think of that on your bike!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

Front receiver hitch rack and a TW200! It'll go any where you want to take it and it's street legal anywhere. As a bonus they retain their value amazingly well! Crazy prices for used ones.
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

Most scooters can be folded and only take up minimal space. Typically 8" x 30" unless you buy one of the big boys