Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

Possible Vilano 320GK in our future

My wife and I have the Vilano 320GK at the top of our shopping list. To have all the options we want it seems we will need to order from the manufacturer. We would like to hear from anyone who has purchased their RV (thru a dealer) from the manufacturer. Should we find one in the dealers existing inventory and drive to the manufacturer for option install after purchase? Since we plan on becoming full timers we have a good idea of what we want option wise. Living in CA, is there a way around the freight charge? That charge is estimated to be $4000! Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advise.
Steelie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had to look up what a Vilano is, to see that it's a Vanleigh fifth wheel. I've never heard of this brand, but it looks nice.

It's hard to answer your question. What options are you looking for. Most fifth wheel builders aren't going to allow any personalization. You might be able to order through a dealer and then do a factory delivery. These are all questions you need to ask. $4000.00 sounds a little high for a delivery fee.

If I was going to buy to full time, I would want it exactly how I like it. I'm guessing your looking at options like dual pane windows, slide trays, A/C size etc.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I had to look up what a Vilano is, to see that it's a Vanleigh fifth wheel. I've never heard of this brand, but it looks nice.

It's hard to answer your question. What options are you looking for. Most fifth wheel builders aren't going to allow any personalization. You might be able to order through a dealer and then do a factory delivery. These are all questions you need to ask. $4000.00 sounds a little high for a delivery fee.

If I was going to buy to full time, I would want it exactly how I like it. I'm guessing your looking at options like dual pane windows, slide trays, A/C size etc.
Thanks for the response. Sorry for the lack of clarity with my post. I requested a “build sheet” from Vanleigh to price out and select desired options but the order is placed by the dealer. The dealers available inventory come with very limited add on’s. The $4000 freight charge appears on the dealers spec sheet. Unfortunately they are the only Vanleigh dealer within 400 miles. Also looking at Jayco Pinnacle and Grand Design Solitude with identical floor plans.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Vanleigh is a division of Tiffin. Tiffin entered the fifth wheel market a couple of years ago.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Steelie53".....Most dealers order coaches with only the options that sell well. If a dealer is back east, they may order coaches with small A/C units and heated floors. If out west, they may order units with large A/C's and no heated floors (just examples). I know when my dealer orders a coach for "spec", he orders it with the most often asked for options.

If you're willing to wait, order a coach the way you want it through your dealer. Keep in mind that sometimes they have you over a barrel when you order a coach. Sometimes you have to price out one on the lot and then "change" your mind and say you want to order after getting a price. It's kind like telling a car dealer you don't have a trade, get a price and then present your trade and get a true value of what they're giving you.

There should also be a discount for them not having to buy and "floor" the coach (put it in their inventory).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

You can certainly order a Vanleigh fifth wheel that suits your exact needs through a dealer local to you. Or, you could order a unit elsewhere.

Mr. Tiffin lives in my city and I often drive past their factory in NE Mississippi. It appears that units are sold retail or sold for dealer stock when they are built--no stock units seem to be on hand.

If you want to take delivery of a Vanleigh product close to their factory, the local dealership is an especially fine operation--Bankston Motor Homes in Huntsville and Florence. I've seen customers coming all the way from San Diego to take delivery of Tiffin Buses from Bankston.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I would think it would be less expensive to order the RV with the options you want. It would be a lot easier to install them during the build process than later!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tell the dealer you want to take delivery at the factory yourself, but not all factories provide that service and those that do charge extra for it. The reason is that it's not just shipping expense - somebody has to prep the RV to make it ready for the customer, show the buyer around the rig, do the paperwork, etc.

The build sheet presumably shows MSRP pricing, so the actual selling price, including that "freight charge", ought to be negotiable. You can get your own quotes for the actual freight charges from a freight agency such as uship.com, movemycar.com, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share.

Yes it is a Tiffin product and you cannot go wrong with that. I would order off the sheet to get exactly what you want. Add ons later will be much more expensive. YOu should be able to get about 28% off the list from your dealer. IF not it might be worth the effort to order from Bankstrom which is near the factory. I know we traveled over 2500 miles to order and pick up our Tiffin from Sherman RV which is 45 miles from the factory. However they do not deal with the VanLeigh division. This will also give you a nice shake down trip back home.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
The Vilano 320 was on our final list of 2 after a couple of months looking at everything we could find in that size & price range. We did SO ours thru a dealer but took dealership delivery. The only issue I had with the V was the shower was a little too short for me , and my wife didn’t like the dresser.
I think the interior finish out and selection of finishes is better than what the Solitude offers , and possibly the insulation. It’s tough to keep ours cool in +95* temps , but it has a bunch of windows. And the windows were a big plus for us.
After a year we’re really happy with our choice, but I still second guess a bit over not getting the 320GK.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #11

I drove past the factory in Burnsville about 2 hours ago. There were about 12 units outside without any paint/vinyl stripes. They're still blowing and going in a controlled fashion.

If someone was able to take possession from the factory or a close by dealer, shake down camping can be done at: J.P. Coleman State Park in Iuka, MS, Tishomingo State Park, Pickwick Landing State Park (TN) and a state campground on Bay Springs Lake on the Tenn./Tom Waterway.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

Thanks for all the great info. Buying from a dealer close to the factory is an intriguing thought. I live in NorCal and our local dealer does not have the best track record. Doing a factory order and local (vetted) dealer pick up may have some distinct advantages.