Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Post-tripum Blues

Ahhhaaa, five months of beautiful, wondrous and sometimes unbelievable scenery, some of which we never dreamed possible. I feel absolutely privileged and fortunate to have meandered into a good portion of these great United States! Truly.

What started out as a very loosely planned trip to visit relatives in TN., WV. and NJ., turned into a twenty six state, 16 National Park and a 11 thousand mile glorious 'road trip' in just under five months. Not to mention the 12K miles we put on the Jeep! Not bad for a first time out of the gate and being first time RV'ers! If anyone had told us at the start of this adventure that this was going to happen, we both would have thought them crazy. The trip just sort of morphed into an array of short sections that just unfolded before us to the North and then to the West. At every stop, we explored all we could, which made us wonder what adventures awaited us around the next curve - we were never disappointed. What a country we live in!

We witnessed many wondrous sights, the shear vastness of our nation's corn belt, mountains reflected in mirrored lakes that one could almost not tell which end was up. Scenes of eroded statues hued by a superior hand, all backdropped by a setting sun so rich in color that it warms the soul. We drove on roads to snow covered peeks so high they literally took our breath away as the starkness of the black and white hues took over the landscape above the clouds. We looked into the vastness of color and erosion for hours, trying in vain to take it all in. We saw waterfalls and geysers that seemed to cleanse and creatures that thrilled.

How I wish I could put into words the emotions and wonder of the things we saw and experienced on this great adventure. I can say we are not the same people we were before we left. When I think of the sights we have seen, I get goosebumps and through tears of gratitude, I will look at this great Nation with different eyes.

Because of the wondrous sights and the experience we've had, my spirits have wained a bit since our return and I find myself looking forward to our next adventure. I am going tomorrow to change 'Squeaky's' oil and to lavish some love on her. We are going to Myrtle Beach in a month and tonight, just knowing I'll be working on Squeaky, I find myself feeling better already.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to understand what this RV'n thing is about.

So, if anyone is still awake...do any of those who do some extensive trips(or short ones), ever feel a 'let down' in between trips as I have? Thanks, Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm with ya.... Waiting for the day when I can take off for a few months at a time. I'm blessed now with 6 weeks of vacation which we take 5 in the summer months. I work with two types of fellow workers: #1 work till your health doesn't allow you to do the work any more. Put in 40+ years of service....and retire to the rocking chair on the porch. #2 retire as earlier as possible and do the things you want to do while you can still actively do and enjoy them.

Every day I go into work dreaming us nearing retirement (30 service years) will be bought out. I can only dream......

But roadblocks are being put in our path.....ever increasing heath-care expenditures and future pension credits reduced by 50%.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

I retired early and had hoped to do more traveling, but yes, the healthcare costs, market drop, etc., have taken their toll.
Health issues cropped up unexpectedly for us also.
We have taken several nice trips in the last couple of years and hope to do some more. May not be to as far away places due to the expense but we are planning some.
The point here is to retire as early as you can and enjoy yourself!
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
to Jan & Bob.....
Congrats on our completed trip. Willa and I have been there and ''done that'' on several occasions. As I have mentioned before, Willa and I are ''second timers'' when it comes to marriage. Linda and I ''did the USA'', Canada and Alaska while she lived and when I met Willa, she had never been any where. Reading your references to travle was like watching Willa ''see it'' for the first time, a long time ago. Oh the WONDERMENT in her eyes when she see Yellowstone and Yosemite and Niagara Falls and Big Bend down in Texas. San Fran and kissing her on the border of Alaska and Canada on that bench with the line down the middle. The vastness of Montana and the flatness of Nebraska and the ''big lonesome'' of N. Dakota and the gooooooood mud bugs down in Mississippi. The wonderment's of this great nation are too many to count and they will take a lifetime to explore. Since 04 when Willa and I met we have put about 60,000 on the ''clock'' of our old Pace Arrow and we are still going strong. I have friends to ask me ''Why do you keep going and going''? ''You have already seen everything twice or three times.'' ''Yep and every time I look at it ,,,,,,,,,,,, it has changed a little bittie bit''.......I try to explain to them that ''it is the trip, NOT THE DESTINATION''... A few understand and the others just look over their glasses at me and say ''what about all that gas money you are spending and the expense of ''IT'' all''. "IT". cant be explained...... If I gotta explain ''IT'' you would not understand. ''IT'' is like a fever or an itch you cant scratch.

Again ...... CONGRATULATIONS on completing you first ''TRIP''..... The great danger now is that your are INFECTED now and nothing but pavement under the wind screen will help to cure you.

Be safe on the road.....

Pray for our troops and lets hope they come home soon and safe...
On November 11 thank a vet for your great freedom.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jan & Bob (scenic route):

G'morning from Casa Grande, AZ, and a BIG WELCOME!!

Sure enjoyed reading your post. We've been full timing since 05, and we still retain the same enthusiasm you related in your post.
Aint it GREAT??

Wait till ya see Alaska....it'll really knock your socks off !! During our first trip up there, we'd be driving along saying it just can't get any better-n this, and, ..... sure enough....it DID!!

Again, WELCOME to the gang. Hope to meet ya in person down the road sometime.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on your first adventure. Lynda and I started fulltiming on July 26th. We did 17 states in just under 3 months with extended stays in Nebraska and West Virginia. We saw and experienced what you did, cornfields to hardwood forests, the Great Plains to mountain tops. We went from watching the leaves turn to red and gold while on our brisk walks in WV one day to mountain biking among the Saquaro cactus a week later. This is indeed the best place on earth to live.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Always a let down when we return. First thing on arriving at stick house is to clean everything up. SECOND thing is to RESTOCK all cabinets so I'm ready (with exception of refrig). I can clear a State line by dark.
Really enjoyed your write up!!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
So, if anyone is still awake...do any of those who do some extensive trips(or short ones), ever feel a 'let down' in between trips as I have? Thanks, Bob
Yep we sure did... so we sold the house and went full time.

I'll bet your five months went way too fast. We've been FT for 14 months now and can't believe it's been that long.

Enjoy... and take care of Squeeky! She deserves it.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

One of these days ! Thanks for the exercise to my imagination.
Wish I could afford a trip like that but it's still a week here or there.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #10

We are like Campingman. Although retired, a fixed income limits us to short trips. We enjoy every one. Yes, there are lots of times I don't want to comeback home and I can hardly wait untill the next trip. Someday, maybe we can stay on the road for a month or two. Good luck in your travels, Welcome and post often so we can all dream.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on the last leg of our 8,500 mile 2 1/2 month trip and am feeling rather sad that most of the trip is behind us. I know full well how fortunate we are being able to travel as we do and am already thinking about where to go next. I must say that that first night at home in our king size bed with my DW an DP(dear pup) is a real treat compared to our laughable RV Queen size bed (means really short) with the same group fighting for extra room ! So it's home for us for the Holidays while I sit in my chair with my map book and dream of where we wll go next !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #12

Scenic Route - you have a wonderious way with words. Enjoyed your post and it made me appreciate our country and the freedom of movement we Americans enjoy. The world is changing and I can't help believe for the better. It is within our lifetimes that this life style became popular and available to so many.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow~Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Wonderful responses.

I must say that I'm just a little jealous of you full timers although I'm not sure we are quite ready for that...yet. Although we were amazed at most of that we saw, I admit, it was comforting knowing that we still had a "home base". It may have been the altitude at the pass on the 'Road to the Sun' in Glacier NP, but I felt a little lost at being so far away from home. I think also the fact that our surrounds were so magnificent and wondrous, that I simply was overwhelmed far beyond my comfort zone. It may be I'm just getting older...but we both want MORE!

The Alaskan trip is the ultimate goal at this point but the 'travel kitty' isn't quite up to snuff. So, other than the trip to Myrtle Beach to have the brake recall preformed, I think we'll try to prepare best we can while trying to 'stuff' the kitty. Yeah, I know, there are probably closer WH service centers but the trip might keep the wanderlust at bay...we have never been to Myrtle Beach and I'm willing to bet there's a seafood platter piled high with my name on it! Got Butter?

BTW, I did get up extra early this morning to lavish some love on Squeaky...had to wait for the sun to come up (a little time adjustment needed there), changed her oil and filter, lubed the chassis and drive train, changed the genny's oil and oil/air filters and did a thorough inspection of all the hard surfaces of her underbelly with my noggin! What is it about that? At any rate, I finished her up about 9:30 AM and just before she was put back inside her storage bay, I swore she smiled at me....or maybe it was just me. Thanks again for the great responses...Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #14

You could be the "poster child-er- RVers" for the RV Industry. Sure sounds great! We are part-timers and our multi-month jaunts seem to always be a new adventure. There is always something new, different, exciting, around the next curve in the road, just like you said. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Slow down and smell the roses".
Our time spent here at the house is kept occupied by our 14 Grandchildren, so we no not have time to get the off-the-road blues.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote