Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Pot/pan storage ideas needed

Not being a full timer my fiver is outfitted with cookware donated from my home kitchen. So nothing nestles neatly. 20 yr old camper has small and few cabinets. Most ideas I've seen are shelf liner, pillows, or bins. Campers are generally resourceful people so I kind of expected some really good hacks. Anyone have some good ideas?
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #2

We were shown these from some full-timers who we're honored to call great friends now. Might be more than you're looking for but an idea. They interlock when stacked and have flat lids without a handle on top. Claims 30% less space needed to store and good quality. We found ours at Target for about $150 on sale.

https://www.calphalon.com/cookware/s...id=SAP_2058503
Old 09-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #3

I bought a roll of expanded rubber shelf liner. I cut it into large squares. I put one square on the bottom of a stack and one square between each pan and lid. I use the same plan on all my stacked dishes.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Shelf-...er+Shelf+Liner

Last I drape a towel over the pan stack and tuck in around the bottom, back, and sides.

The rubber adsorbs vibration energy and the towel insure the bouncing stack pans return to their original position.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Firstfiver --

My current and previous RVs (30 foot Tracer travel trailer followed by a Damon Astoria diesel pusher) all have/had a storage drawer under the Dometic gas range / oven. Being that the wife and I are weekend warriors (we both still have full time careers), 12 years ago we purchased an inexpensive Farberware cookware set from Walmart similar to this set --> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberwar...ll&athena=true

The pots nest together nicely as do the griddle / fry pans in the drawer. Lids mostly nest in the pots.

Do you have a "pots" storage drawer under your range/over?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

A bit off track from the OP's question, but we just bought a set of Magma nesting cookware. Yea, it's pricy but it covers pretty much all our cooking needs and everything just goes back together into one small package. Very high quality, non stick and induction ready if you have an induction cooktop or even a portable induction cooktop.

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-A10-366...s%2C192&sr=8-5
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #6

Do you have booth dining? There is usually a lot of space under the seats.
Can you fit a tote under the sink? A shallow tote in an upper cabinet that you can easily pull out to find the right pan?
Under the bed storage?
A tote in a clothes closet?
A tight tote with a lid to store in the truck bed?

Once you're camped and pull out the basic pan/pot you use just leave them set on the stove for the duration. You don't have to put them away all the time.

Nestled pans are good but expensive. Here's the cheapest I've seen - $44. There are tons more on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Kang...167278&sr=8-35
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have always used nested pans from the tiny thin sets of my backpacking days to the Magma set I use in the motorhome today. It just isn’t worth the storage hassle any other way to me. Some of my nesting sets have come in a small bag, and I kept those in a plastic wash tub under the dinette. With my current set, I just leave them in a drawer.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #8

If you are willing to spend the money the Magma set is the way to go. We have been using them on our Yacht for 6 years and have held up well. If not I would use storage bins for your current ones
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #9

Another vote for a Magma set. Everything you need, they take up little space, and last for years.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have two shelve below the cook top, they are deep and if you's put stuff in there it would be lost. I found that a thinset mixing tub that I bought at Lowes fits into each self. I can stack pots/pans/storage containers in teh tubs and I can easily pull the containers out to retrieve things. There is also room on either side to store rolls of aluminum foil and other stuff. Works great.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #11

Only comment we have is……minimize!!!
Find cookware that is multi-use. No need to carry extra items when unnecessary. Space/weight conservation is essential. To Pretty much only one of everything is all that’s needed. By minimizing things, space is saved so less things are needed to eliminate shaking etc. However, paper towels work the best to avoid that. Minimize!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I bought a roll of expanded rubber shelf liner. I cut it into large squares. I put one square on the bottom of a stack and one square between each pan and lid. I use the same plan on all my stacked dishes.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Shelf-...er+Shelf+Liner

Last I drape a towel over the pan stack and tuck in around the bottom, back, and sides.

The rubber adsorbs vibration energy and the towel insure the bouncing stack pans return to their original position.
Mrs Ldubs did the exact same thing using that no-slip liner. It really works well for keeping things from sliding around or scratching the cooking pan surfaces.

We assembled a set of stacking pots/pans from a display rack of inexpensive ceramic cookware. I have no idea how long the stuff will last but so far so good. Additionally, we keep a griddle and a large frying pan in the basement for use on our Coleman Roadtrip. We are not full-timers. Our average trip is just a few overnights and maybe a little more than once/month.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:00 AM   #13

As mentioned, the obvious solution is to get a set of pots and pans that are designed to nest. We just bought a set of T-Fal pots last year and they really save room.

To avoid scratching and rattles, we use the foam sleeves that are sold for packing dishes. The are available in a couple of sizes. I've seen them on Amazon, at Home Depot but sometimes prices are just as good or better at a local U Haul facility that sells moving supplies.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Got tried of getting down on hands and knees to get to the pots and pans stored under the sink so I build some drawers. Took some time since drawers are a right trapezoid.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...p;d=1537714345

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...p;d=1537714513

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage