Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #1

Power problems at park what would you do?

Okay so I just wanted to get an idea on what others would do in this same situation. This past weekend we were at camp and I am booking up our electric. Well I get the warning that their is an open ground. When I touched the power box or the metal latches on my coach I got a light shock.

So I went and told the ownership and they said that an open ground shouldn’t cause any problems but they would come out and take a look. Of course after messing around with it the owner got shocked as well.

They moved us to another site and all was good. Later in the evening the two campsites that were affected by this got new guests. One family had a surge protector and one didn’t. Now I don’t know if they were told about the problems but my question is what would you do?

Would you go up and ask them if they experienced any problems? Or would you think you did your part so it’s up to ownership?
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on how much time I wanted to waste I would try to figure out who the local authority agency is and contact them with the details.

Then post on every review site I could find.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would tell the new campers at the bad site about the problem. Someone could get seriously injured or killed.

That RV park doesn't happen to be in New Mexico does it?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:56 AM   #4

I would tell them as well

Makes me wonder how I survived camping all thos years before we had ground wires

Started camping in the early 60,s as did many of you

Yes there were many if us that experienced hot skin

Given today's knowledge and regulations a bad pedestal is simply unacceptable

A modern RV should not have a hot skin either, something is wrong
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #5

At the very least tell the new campers. How would I feel if their small child was killed?

A call and email to the local power authority would also be in order.

The CG has already been told.

Seriously if I owned the CG I would have the pedestals checked by an electrician at the beginning of the camping season. Certainly no less than every 6 months. Any issues, lockout the site power until it can be repaired.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #6

When I plug in my surge protection system the lights immediately show the status of the pedestal

Very easy for a campground to check similarly

Having run into many bad pedestal situations over the years it is the first check prior to setting up

Beats having to move after setting up
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:09 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe It was repaired while you were moving. If it was a loose connection or broken wire in the pedestal it would be a very easy and quick fix. There is no harm in asking the new occupants to check it out and use caution but I wouldn't automatically assume the camp host had done nothing.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not my park, not responsible for it. You brought it to their attention. That's on them now.

But, I would let the new campers know about it. Maybe even post a little sign on it with a warning about the power issue.

Our EMS won't power up if there is a ground issue. Not safe.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Maybe It was repaired while you were moving. If it was a loose connection or broken wire in the pedestal it would be a very easy and quick fix. There is no harm in asking the new occupants to check it out and use caution but I wouldn't automatically assume the camp host had done nothing.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
Okay so I just wanted to get an idea on what others would do in this same situation. This past weekend we were at camp and I am booking up our electric. Well I get the warning that their is an open ground. When I touched the power box or the metal latches on my coach I got a light shock.

So I went and told the ownership and they said that an open ground shouldn’t cause any problems but they would come out and take a look. Of course after messing around with it the owner got shocked as well.

They moved us to another site and all was good. Later in the evening the two campsites that were affected by this got new guests. One family had a surge protector and one didn’t. Now I don’t know if they were told about the problems but my question is what would you do?

Would you go up and ask them if they experienced any problems? Or would you think you did your part so it’s up to ownership?
Are you staying there for a period of time and/or do you plan on returning? If you are, I would do nothing other than perhaps casually ask the owners if they were able to fix the issue the next time you ran into them,more out of curiosity than anything else. They likely would not appreciate you running to the authorities like some have suggested. They also would probably frown on you going to other guests and telling them the power pedestals are dangerous. It really isn't your problem and you probably shouldn't be a party to any solutions or actions unless you are fine with any possible reactions.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just a comment: An open ground is only a potential problem, i.e. there is no protection if some fault occurs in the future. Getting a shock, however, says there is a problem right now, i.e. it is already dangerous. That's a clear & present danger and it would be a kindness to warn the new occupants that there had been a shock problem earlier in the day and they might want to be verify that it is now ok.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
Are you staying there for a period of time and/or do you plan on returning? If you are, I would do nothing other than perhaps casually ask the owners if they were able to fix the issue the next time you ran into them,more out of curiosity than anything else. They likely would not appreciate you running to the authorities like some have suggested. They also would probably frown on you going to other guests and telling them the power pedestals are dangerous. It really isn't your problem and you probably shouldn't be a party to any solutions or actions unless you are fine with any possible reactions.
Like someone getting Electrocuted ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #13

The OP asked, "What would you do?"

I would ask the new campers if they discovered any issue with the pedestal, and mention that I had to be moved because of a dangerous ground fault. No accusations, just a question and information. I feel a moral responsibility to protect a complete stranger from a potential danger that I know existed, but is not my responsibility to repair. The camper with the surge protector likely would be warned if the problem persisted. I might even lend my own protector to the other camper to test his source if there was uncertainty.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just a comment: An open ground is only a potential problem, i.e. there is no protection if some fault occurs in the future. Getting a shock, however, says there is a problem right now, i.e. it is already dangerous. That's a clear & present danger and it would be a kindness to warn the new occupants that there had been a shock problem earlier in the day and they might want to be verify that it is now ok.
Before you ran around and scared the other guests, wouldn't you at least ask the park management if they had corrected the problem? In my park, if you had skipped that step and proceeded to upset other guests I would be refunding your remaining nights and asking you to leave immediately. A well managed park would have corrected or repaired the issue immediately. It could very well have been something extremely minor that only took seconds to repair. Things like a loose wire or a broken receptacle could easily have been the issue. If it was a well managed and maintained park, that is the most likely cause because extreme failures of electrical systems are beyond rare. More than once those issues have occurred because the previous guest drove off forgetting to disconnect their power cable or had the tail swing on their trailer knock over the box. We, as park owners, never, ever heard about those issues and the guests just sheepishly either pack up their power cable or stand the power box back up and drive on their merry way. It isn't always negligence on the part of the park that things break.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, power, problem, problems