Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Power Steering Resevoir

I have a 2016 Dutchstar and observed power steering fluid leaking out the top of the rear reservoir after a 50 mile trip. The fluid was pink almost the color of pepto bismal. I'm being told that there is some type of foreign substance in the fluid. The reservoir was almost overflowing after sitting for 4 days. Has anyone had a similar issue and what was found. I was told the system was drained and re-filled but the substance was still there after operation. anyone with a similar issue ?
Uniform21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
was it liquid or foam?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If the reservoir is full to over flowing after you had it drained and refilled it sounds like it could be 2 things, 1) air in the system coming out after the system was drained and refilled, this will appear as a foaming of the fluid, and 2) they overfilled the system when the refilled it, there might not have been as much air trapped in the hoses as they figured thus the over fill. After it's set for 4 days is the color still pink, or more red?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

power steering resevoir

The fluid was still pink after the 4 days. I removed almost 32 oz of fluid to take it down to the min cold level line before driving it home and to the service center so that it would not over flow again. they say there is a foreign substance in the system but don't know what it is. It was still there after they say they drained and re-filled it. A mystery at this point.
Uniform21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

I have no knowledge of motor home power steering. But I recently replaced the steering box and power steering pump on my F250 diesel, and I can address diesel pickup power steering and braking systems.

Diesel engines don't have vacuums and thus power brakes are not available. Light diesel trucks' power brake function works off the power steering system through a Bendix HydroBoost system. My truck uses automatic transmission fluid in the power steering which is colored red.

Everyone with light diesels need to change the power steering fluids every 30,000 miles or so to properly maintain the HydroBoost system. Instructions are online, and it's very simple to change the fluids. You won't believe how much better the brake pedal feels after changing the fluid.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

I haven't looked at the Ford diesel power steering requirement but I can not think of a single vehicle that came into the shop I helped manage for the City of Phoenix that took atf. Most specify a type of power steering fluid. I will try to find the spec for the Ford. Been retired almost 10 years so memory of work things is getting fuzzy. LOl
In my almost 50 years experience working on vehicles it sounds like there was alot of air trapped in the system. This will cause the fluid to become very foamy and pink if it is a red tinted fluid. Most newer vehicles are a pain to bleed out the power steering system and some have specific methods to bleed them. My '88 Itasca needed a gear box and pump and the procedure for it is to disconnect the power to the coil so it won't start, fill the reservoir and crank the engine a few revolutions then check the res. again. It probably took me 20 minutes to get it bled out.
Some cars required you lift the tires off the ground and manually crank the wheel side to side. When the rack and pinion system came to be I saw many issues with getting air in them. We had to let them set for several hours before they could be bled once air got in them.
Don't know who made your chassis but you might want to contact them about this is as they might have a specific procedure to follow.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

Since your MH is under factory warranty, I would press the dealer for proper repairs. If they claim they cannot diagnosis the problem, request they call-in a factory service rep.
Document everything that transpires between you and the dealer, just in case you must continue this after the warranty has expired. If the mfgr, knows about the problem while the warranty is in effect, they must continue the warranty on that portion until it is resolved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Diesel pushers often have a hydraulic system that handles multiple functions, the steering being just one. For example, mine has a hydraulic fan as well (side radiator). It's probably some ISO-standard hydraulic fluid rather than automtive ATF, but that's a guess.

In any case, you have a chassis warranty and ought to get it to a chassis shop (not an RV dealer0 and have them diagnose the problem. Is it a Spartan or a Freightliner?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Hyd/PS cooler leaked and got coolant in it? (check coolant level)

Tags
power, steering