Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #29

Howdy!

I purchase numerous RV parts from them including two AC’s. We also used them to sale our previous 5er. They gave us great service doing so. They sold it within in three weeks and all transactions were handled via bank transfer. The people that purchased ours came from out of state to do so. I would definitely use them again.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #30

Our experience with PPL in Houston was not what I call a good one.
3 years ago we were searching for a Outlaw Toyhauler MH. We found several in Texas and one in LA.
The one at PPL was nicer than the other one we looked at and we decided to buy it.. We negotiated a price and I put $5k deposit on it.
When we went to do the paperwork and pay the rest, the price had changed.. PPL added in a DOC fee of a few hundred bucks and a 3-400 bucks for service, check over ..
I told the salesman that Texas does not have a DOC fee and that is a Dealer add on for more profit and the service check out fee was the same thing. We had already drove the MH and tested stuff and was buying it as is..
They wouldnt budge.. Even got the manager out and he wouldnt budge either. Well. I really wanted that one. But its a matter of principal.
I tore up the contract and threw it on the desk and said give me my money back... Got it and walked out...
My wife couldnt believe it... after looking at others, we both liked this one and she knew I wanted it... "are you sure" she asked multiple times as we drove away.. We spent the next couple weeks at Padre Island and she kept telling me to call them back . Nope. Not gonna happen..

So on the way home I said lets go another route and look at one more, near New Orleans..
It was 1 year newer.. only 23k miles and in better condition. The asking price had just been knocked down 10K.. We negotiated a better price AND they took my old MH in trade for what I had paid for it 2 years earlier. (saved us driving it home and selling it). They didnt charge us a DOC fee or service fee or any other "bull"oney..
And they had the MH washed and waxed... Filled with Propane.. New wipers put on and the aluminum wheels polished.. All without asking...
So, we ended up with a newer Outlaw, in better condition at a better price and took our old MH in trade.... KARMA...! sticking to my principals worked out perfectly !
(I will recommend Berryland RV at Ponchatoula La to anyone that asks..)

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh berryland LA.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	305171   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh at white sands 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	305172  

Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #31

I lived a few miles from PPL while finishing up my career and retiring. I was full time RV there for 8 years.
I've been to PPL many times for parts, etc and they seemed to be fair with their prices and usually had what I needed in stock.

I have heard a number of stories from fellow rv'ers that stayed in the same park that I did that their offers to purchase used RV's were very low.
I didn't try to sell my fifth wheel to them due to the stories that I had heard. I sold it after I got back home in Louisiana.

So, I can't give an honest opinion since I didn't sell or buy and RV from them. But parts seemed like a decent deal.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I have heard a number of stories from fellow rv'ers that stayed in the same park that I did that their offers to purchase used RV's were very low.
They don't purchase RVs. It's consignment. Why would they 'suggest' a low price - again, they don't buy the RVs? Their commission is based on the selling price.

They 'suggested' a price we should put on ours but we all know how people like to offer lower so we upped that suggested price by thousands.

Our buyer flew in from Florida to purchase it at the price we had put on it.

These are the RVs SOLD during the past 2 years. They have sold some high priced RVs:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...tBy=price+desc
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
They don't purchase RVs. It's consignment. Why would they 'suggest' a low price - again, they don't buy the RVs? Their commission is based on the selling price.

They 'suggested' a price we should put on ours but we all know how people like to offer lower so we upped that suggested price by thousands.

Our buyer flew in from Florida to purchase it at the price we had put on it.

These are the RVs SOLD during the past 2 years. They have sold some high priced RVs:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...tBy=price+desc
The quote low prices because it is in their interest to sell the rig, not to maximize the amount you get. If they can convince you to accept setting a selling price $5000 lower than the actual market value they will likely sell it very quickly. Since their commission is 10%, they are only giving up $500.00. (they may not even give up anything since they have a minimum dollar amount commission on any unit, so the percentage may not come into play at all) Then if you factor in the commission to the sales person, (probably around 25%) the store is only giving up $375.00 in gross profits, while you are potentially out $4500.00. It is in their best interests to convince all the consigners to accept the lowest amount they can. Inventory turnover is the key to their profitability, not maximizing the sales price on each unit. That business model isn't unethical or unfair, it is just a fact.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #34

Point being... you can put your own price on like we did.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I order parts from PPL quite often, good price, quick delivery, and the CS folks are fairy knowledgeable.

We bought our motorhome from PPL and to their credit, I insisted on financing thru Essex, and Essex took there jolly good time in processing. PPL was great helping keep our deal alive, and talking us up to the seller.

I agree there are a lot of ugly, abused units on the lot. (We bought in New Braunfels.) Our rig was rough on the interior, but fairly sound in terms of chassis, engine, body. It was our 4 th motorhome, so I felt pretty good about knowing what was ok, and what wasn’t and what I could do to upgrade the things that needed it. The price was very right, and I planned for an extra $10K to get it where we wanted it.

Overall, I much prefer a consignment lot. Salesman at most dealers are usually “shopper stockers” with little real RV knowledge or experience. If their mouth is moving they are lying. And you pay lots more.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes