Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Here and I believe the woman is still in the house. Cant get her out. Police won't do anything so don't kid yourself they will.
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/la...tter/739146420
Last year, this mentions homes as in plural
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/mo...omes/561145699
I think this one went on for two years. Its in a "good" neighborhood. Neighbors couldn't do anything about it so don't kid yourself they can.
"after neighbors said they were concerned and upset about her taking residence in the home."
Piper Glen squatter found guilty on almost all charges - | WBTV Charlotte
I could keep posting links. Don't think it doesn't happen in your neck of the woods.

See I come from a geographical area that if a bully or thief trys to take whats not theirs... its going to leave a mark.

This I promise... someone tries to occupy one of my dwellings without a signed lease and current rent payments... they wont be able to dial a phone. If they want to assert their civil squatter rights...they can do so & will be preoccupied with pain management from a $1000/night hospital bed.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have alarm system andcremitely viewable cameras.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #31

First off, I've never heard of squatters (trespassers) taking over a home that wasn't first abandoned (30 years in the LEO business). With that, what's so hard about getting anyone out of you're house? [MOD EDIT]

When our trailer is gone, everyone in the area knows we're gone. Nobody officially watches our home. Online I stop the mail. No animals left at home. I trim the front yard. All firearms and important papers travel with us. Nothing left in the home that insurance can't replace.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #32

We own raw acreage in norther Washington state, a stones throw from Canada. A few years ago the DW and I drove up with our 5ver. The wife was very sick with a flu virus. The plan was drive up as fast as we could. We blew a turbo hose on our truck, we were almost over Mt. Shasta. We limped to Bend Oregon, where a ford dealership had the hose and they had a night crew. I love my DW but she was NOT a very happy passenger. The next late afternoon, I arrived at my property. Before driving up a small dirt rd. that leads to the only place I could get my RV in, I walked up first. Imagine my anger when I saw a 12' 1960's POS in my spot, this guy had sticks piled all around his trailer, I flipped out, beat on the door. Out come a guy that looked like he lived out of a shopping cart. He told me he bought 14 acres, I told him it was my property, and if he didn't get out, I would bury him there. Well we ended up staying in a RV park for 2 weeks, trying to get the proper papers to get rid of the guy. Sheriff and a Border Patrol cop went up and talked to the guy. Well long story short, the guy was about 100' from my property line. Ended up having a contractor cut in 1/4 mile of new Rd. on our property, now I have a BUM for a neighbor.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

The whole "squatters" rights... um has to be in a liberal bastion!
For an adverse possession claim. The liberal bastion of Arizona is only 3 years for a quit claim, Montana and Texas are 5 and Florida is 7 years.

by comparison New Jersey is 30 years and New York is 10 years.

Put that in your bastion.
RickNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #34

I'm in Texas, and it would take them living there 30 years uncontested to keep a person's house.
The concern is the damage they would do, and simply that it would be in your home without consent, while awaiting the eviction process.
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct Prime View Post
I'm in Texas, and it would take them living there 30 years uncontested to keep a person's house.
The concern is the damage they would do, and simply that it would be in your home without consent, while awaiting the eviction process.
This was my point. Make sure your insurance has your back. If they find out the house was or is vacant they may drop your insurance and you will be on your own. There is no way stuff isn't going to get jacked up.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #36

A friend of mine has been making a fair amount of money house sitting. Wealthier people who live in rural or secluded areas around Atlanta. A few she has to care for the animals too, some not. She feeds my cats when I am gone, so this house sitting gig is making it more difficult for me to have her available to feed the cats (she is only a couple of miles away when she is home).

Money well spent actually.

Charles
Old 05-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
He told me he bought 14 acres, I told him it was my property, and if he didn't get out, I would bury him there. Well we ended up staying in a RV park for 2 weeks, trying to get the proper papers to get rid of the guy. Sheriff and a Border Patrol cop went up and talked to the guy. Well long story short, the guy was about 100' from my property line. Ended up having a contractor cut in 1/4 mile of new Rd. on our property, now I have a BUM for a neighbor.
I need some clarification. Did he buy 14 acres and think your house what part of it?

Was the old road part of what he bought?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I thought about this, and I think if I came home and someone was living in my house and refused to leave, I would call a "House Fumigation Co." and have them come and set up a tent over the whole house! That should do it!

Rail!
Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We have a home alarm system and our neighbor (our chief of police) checks the house every couple of days.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #40

Remote viewable cameras and an alarm system in our home. Also if we are away for more than 2 nights a pet sitter calls every day.

If we got home and our 60lb Lab/pit bull mix found an unwanted guest she would not be happy.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #41
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
See I come from a geographical area that if a bully or thief trys to take whats not theirs... its going to leave a mark.

This I promise... someone tries to occupy one of my dwellings without a signed lease and current rent payments... they wont be able to dial a phone. If they want to assert their civil squatter rights...they can do so & will be preoccupied with pain management from a $1000/night hospital bed.
Just curious, have you ever done this?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:08 AM   #42
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
We own raw acreage in norther Washington state, a stones throw from Canada. A few years ago the DW and I drove up with our 5ver. The wife was very sick with a flu virus. The plan was drive up as fast as we could. We blew a turbo hose on our truck, we were almost over Mt. Shasta. We limped to Bend Oregon, where a ford dealership had the hose and they had a night crew. I love my DW but she was NOT a very happy passenger. The next late afternoon, I arrived at my property. Before driving up a small dirt rd. that leads to the only place I could get my RV in, I walked up first. Imagine my anger when I saw a 12' 1960's POS in my spot, this guy had sticks piled all around his trailer, I flipped out, beat on the door. Out come a guy that looked like he lived out of a shopping cart. He told me he bought 14 acres, I told him it was my property, and if he didn't get out, I would bury him there. Well we ended up staying in a RV park for 2 weeks, trying to get the proper papers to get rid of the guy. Sheriff and a Border Patrol cop went up and talked to the guy. Well long story short, the guy was about 100' from my property line. Ended up having a contractor cut in 1/4 mile of new Rd. on our property, now I have a BUM for a neighbor.
You threatened a guy because he was too close to your property?

How did that threat of burying him there work out? Not too good it appears.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent