Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I just don't get it.
You pay 500K for a coach (somehow) and then you go from park to park and pay 60-80 dollars a nite to hook it up. That's 1800-2400 bucks a month, or 21K-29K per year.

If you were smart enough to accumulate that kind of $$$$, why would you spend it that way ?

I've got an 18 year old coach, in great shape that is more than enough for me and the puppy, and we seldom stay at a campground. We travel all over the southwest and never have any trouble finding a place to stay for our week long adventures.
But that's just me. Othere's may vary.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
GBB

Never did understand how someone could full time in a 8 x40 box staying in trailer parks (RV parks..same thing) every night. We did a little snowbirding in the past but were lucky to have a BIL that had a ranch we stayed on. Traveling back and forth we stayed in Rv parks and seen a lot of expensive DP in the parks cause they can’t fit anywhere else. More power to them if that what they like..just not our cup of tea. Give me open spaces and a home to come home to.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
You pay 500K for a coach (somehow) and then you go from park to park and pay 60-80 dollars a nite to hook it up. That's 1800-2400 bucks a month, or 21K-29K per year.

If you were smart enough to accumulate that kind of $$$$, why would you spend it that way ?

I've got an 18 year old coach, in great shape that is more than enough for me and the puppy, and we seldom stay at a campground. We travel all over the southwest and never have any trouble finding a place to stay for our week long adventures.

Mike in Colorado
For someone who has the resources to spend $500K+ for a coach, $20K for RV Resorts is almost insignificant. Besides, what’s not smart about enjoying the wealth?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
Never did understand how someone could full time in a 8 x40 box staying in trailer parks (RV parks..same thing) every night. We did a little snowbirding in the past but were lucky to have a BIL that had a ranch we stayed on. Traveling back and forth we stayed in Rv parks and seen a lot of expensive DP in the parks cause they can’t fit anywhere else. More power to them if that what they like..just not our cup of tea. Give me open spaces and a home to come home to.
Why do so many folks assume that someone with a high end coach, doesn’t have a also own a house or two?
Old 05-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #19

I think the cost of an RV is relative to what one wants. Some want a new Marathon Provost motor-coach and our willing to spend the 1.5 million for it, others want a Forest River Berkshire motor-coach.

Those that backpack and carry everything in on their backs sleeping in 2 man pup tents might question all of us who buy a trailer or motor home, as why do we need this. It is all a matter of your point of view.

Who are we to question a persons needs and wants! If I want to spend my money and don’t need a hand out. Then I have a right to spend my money as I see fit. You do know you can’t take it with you when you die. So, you might as will enjoy it now!

Just my $0.02
Old 05-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #20

Back in 1990's we lived in a lakefront 4 bedroom 3 bath home in Michigan which we had built for $60,000 cash with a large lot and sold it for $120,000.

We lived frugally and never bought anything on credit. We didn't take resort vacations. We used a tent. We both worked and saved our money. We grew up in frugal families. Our dads were meat cutters and no one in our families went to college. We worked and paid for college ourselves. We lived at home not in dorms. We made good, safe investments. We made a very small fraction of what the jobs would be nowadays. We were not rich! We were savers. We helped two children through college although they worked as much as they could. By then college prices had jumped high. We didn't want them having to repay loans. They lived at home.

We went full-time for 16 years. Our quality 1996 Travel Supreme 5th wheel was built to our specs for $40,000. We paid cash. After 8 yr. of full-timing with it we bought our quality Newmar Dutch Star in 2004 with over 100 specials added to it for $130,000. We paid cash. We used it 8 yr. then quit full-timing after 16 years. We have since bought a 1100 sq ft townhome for $105,000 which came completely furnished in 2013 down to linens and dishes. They are selling for $250,000+ now. We haven't replaced a piece of furniture or any other furnishings. We don't take vacations. We rarely eat out. We drive a 2012 Chevy Sonic - bought used.

I write this just to give you perspective of how things change over the years and how one can save.

KidGloves: We lived in a 'box' for 16 years because we wanted to see our country. We volunteered every year for a few months to give back to the places we enjoyed. In return, we got a free campsite. We boondocked on public lands 95% of our 16 years because those are the kinds of places we love. Therefore, full-timing was a very cheap way to live for us but we didn't 'go cheap' because we had to. We wanted to.

We met many life-long friends as we traveled who now live near us so we have an instant family of 40+ friends. We all help each other in various ways and enjoying visits and talking of the places we were all fortunate to see. We didn't stay in the same state that we left when taking off. Our kids have moved to various states, also, due to jobs. Our grandkids didn't miss out on our not being there daily. We spent quality time with them as they were growing up. We made it a point to attend their special events. We wrote letters at that time. We stood in phone booths in all kinds of weather to talk to them. They became so interested in what we were doing. They are now college grads or nearly and they are also frugal and love backpacking or tenting. One backpacked across eastern Europe and was one of the last ones to be able to enter North Korea. They are inquisitive as to how others live and the countrysides. They say they've learned a lot from experiencing our lifestyle. That's all they know of us because they weren't born when we took off. We loved being able to pass our love for the outdoors onto them and yes, they are very frugal with their money. With their mindsets I don't expect them to spend what they don't have.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post

Mike in Colorado
If I had enough money to buy a $650K MH I'd sure as heck stay at nicer RV parks. Why would you want to stay next to cousin Eddy if you didn't have to?

Thing is I don't have enough money to pay for yearly maintenance or diesel plus $$$ park fee's so I have to take my chance camping next to cousin Eddy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #22

Twogypsies: thanks for sharing your story. I must admit that since i joined this forum i have been intrigued by folks who have given up what is considered “normal” and lived your lifestyle.
You mentioned that you moved to an area with many friends. I’m curious- how did you decide where to go after spending so much time exploring the usa and was it a difficult transition?

Hope im not being too personal.
BP120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I’d like to know how many people pay cash for a 650,000 MH?
Didn't buy a $650K motorhome but built our house with cash which is worth at least that much.

And you know what, 10 years from now my house will probably be worth +$800K (or more) and the motorhome will be worth substantially less.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP120 View Post
Twogypsies: thanks for sharing your story. I must admit that since i joined this forum i have been intrigued by folks who have given up what is considered “normal” and lived your lifestyle.
You mentioned that you moved to an area with many friends. I’m curious- how did you decide where to go after spending so much time exploring the usa and was it a difficult transition?

Hope im not being too personal.
We wintered in Arizona and fell in love with the Sonoran Desert and open spaces. Our last home was in Michigan.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"You can't spend other people's money".......so don't worry what the other guy spends. Live within your MEANS without criticizing those who are living within their means. Why does this bother some so much????
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Back in 1990's we lived in a lakefront 4 bedroom 3 bath home in Michigan which we had built for $60,000 cash with a large lot and sold it for $120,000.

KidGloves: We lived in a 'box' for 16 years because we wanted to see our country. We volunteered every year for a few months to give back to the places we enjoyed. In return, we got a free campsite. We boondocked on public lands 95% of our 16 years because those are the kinds of places we love. Therefore, full-timing was a very cheap way to live for us but we didn't 'go cheap' because we had to. We wanted to.
Thanks for the story. I’m not clear on why you directed the above response in my direction. It makes no difference to me if someone buys a $20K coach or a $2M coach, or if they live in it full time or just 2 weekends a year. Someone else’s life is not mine to live.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"You can't spend other people's money".......so don't worry what the other guy spends. Live within your MEANS without criticizing those who are living within their means. Why does this bother some so much????
I have the same question along with most rational thinking people. If we could fix this thinking, perhaps we could avoid our cities being burned.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect most of those expensive MH's are bought on credit. In a way, I get it. If you financed it at a low rate, why would you pay cash? You're losing money if you plop down $1M in cash, when that money could be invested and returning a healthy market return.
Of course, with the way things are now, who knows?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel