Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #1

Price of a new Diesel Pusher

WOW!

I have been looking to get a little newer DP and have been looking at pricing. I was hoping to get the "Big Block" with at least the 1250 pounds of torque.

Yes, I know there is a lot to these rigs but have to admit I got a little sticker shock to see $650,000 as a "not out of line" price for RV's in this arena.

Never seriously looked at new before.

Many parts of the country you can buy a couple acres of land and a heck of a home for $650,000!! Yes, I know that is peanuts in Cali.

I guess there is just a completely different income class than me that can afford $650,000 whether they are full timing or as a heavily used get away.

Not sure why I felt the need to post except sheer shock of that price!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, and considering a RV of any type is a depreciating asset makes it even worse.
Yes, there are different classes of people. Some people can afford to buy a new rig and if you follow some of the threads on the top end coaches and look at signatures some owners trade every other year.

For me I'll keep my 20 year old rig and keep the money in my retirement account and bank. FYI I retired 10 years ago at the age of 54.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yup, and considering a RV of any type is a depreciating asset makes it even worse.
Yes, there are different classes of people. Some people can afford to buy a new rig and if you follow some of the threads on the top end coaches and look at signatures some owners trade every other year.

For me I'll keep my 20 year old rig and keep the money in my retirement account and bank. FYI I retired 10 years ago at the age of 54.
Ditto, my coach is 20 years old too with less than 100k miles and is probably just as reliable as any new coach on the road. They are out there, just need to seek and find.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #4

Most of the high end coaches you see are owned by full timers or the filthy rich. Let’s address the rich folks. They can afford anything they want and they do. The second group is the full timers. Think about it, if you sell your home it shouldn’t be that hard to afford a 700k coach, if you had a similarly valued home.

I think the big question for both the rich and full timers is, even though I have 700k do I spend on it an rv….some say yes and some say no.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #5

Can you pay cash or do you have to finance? Stay away from financing a large depreciating asset.

Can you afford to loose $200k in three years? Not to mention sales tax and a yearly large insurance and tax bill.

Just food for thought.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #6

Last thing I'd do is sell my house and use that money to buy a money pit RV to live in.
You'll never recoup that money and when the time comes, and it will, that you want to leave the FT life and settle down you don't have diddle to buy a permanent home with.

You need some serious coin to own a DP, let alone purchase a newer one. DP ownership's not for the faint of heart.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:16 AM   #7

Keep in mind, those folks who buy new $650K+ coaches every few years still whine about fuel prices, maintenance and repair costs and tire prices, just like the rest of us. And they want free coffee.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

Many should be grateful for the "Filthy Rich" as someone stated. If not for them buying and trading their one, two or three year coaches, how could anyone with fewer assets afford a DP??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
WOW!

I have been looking to get a little newer DP and have been looking at pricing. I was hoping to get the "Big Block" with at least the 1250 pounds of torque.

Yes, I know there is a lot to these rigs but have to admit I got a little sticker shock to see $650,000 as a "not out of line" price for RV's in this arena.

Never seriously looked at new before.

Many parts of the country you can buy a couple acres of land and a heck of a home for $650,000!! Yes, I know that is peanuts in Cali.

I guess there is just a completely different income class than me that can afford $650,000 whether they are full timing or as a heavily used get away.

Not sure why I felt the need to post except sheer shock of that price!
Your last sentence was fun to read and sometimes it’s just best to get our thoughts out there. If I was a priest, I would give you forgiveness for what others might think is a sin. Lol.

There are some awfully like new, nice coaches out there under $400k. Funny thing is, that the more you look at pricing, even $400k seems to be inline. We are experiencing very expensive times and for some of us, the clock is ticking. When I get ready to only sit on the back porch, I’ll know that I have given it my best shot.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Keep in mind, those folks who buy new $650K+ coaches every few years still whine about fuel prices, maintenance and repair costs and tire prices, just like the rest of us. And they want free coffee.
I used to work on airplanes for a living... It was a running joke that the cheapest thing in aviation was the guy who owned the airplane. I guess the same goes for high-end RVs.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
I used to work on airplanes for a living... It was a running joke that the cheapest thing in aviation was the guy who owned the airplane. I guess the same goes for high-end RVs.
That’s a good one. I’m still laughing about that quote.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
I worked in a different industry. One of our running jokes was that there’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it twice.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Can you pay cash or do you have to finance? Stay away from financing a large depreciating asset.

Can you afford to loose $200k in three years? Not to mention sales tax and a yearly large insurance and tax bill.

Just food for thought.

I’d like to know how many people pay cash for a 650,000 MH?
Old 05-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
One of the reasons MHs are priced so much more is the upscaling of the lower models. We bought ours new in 2018. Our price was ~190K, 28% off MSRP. Whad just about every option available, though we did go with just prewiring for satellite and solar, since Kevin knew he could install those himself. There were significant differences between our line (Tiffin RED) and the next one up (Phaeton). The Phaetons had a number of standard features not even available on REDs, plus lots of options also unavailable on our line. Now the REDs have many features standard that used to be available only on higher lines, and the option list is much more upscale. For example, in 2023 there will only be three models of REDs, and only the 33’ will have a single mid ship bath. Glad we bought ours when we did, because I wouldn’t have wanted a macerating toilet (too much water usage for dry camping), AquaHot, all-electric, etc. I know we don’t camp the way most people do since we spend about half of our time boondocking, but the newer versions of my rig just have too much “stuff” on them! All of the “stuff” adds to the price.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel