Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Price of propane

Can anyone tell me an approximate price per gal. or # of propane at CGs Im headed out west and wondered if I needed to go ahead an have the tank filled before I leave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandapril View Post
Can anyone tell me an approximate price per gal. or # of propane at CGs Im headed out west and wondered if I needed to go ahead an have the tank filled before I leave
Seems to me any price differential would be relatively trivial - might be better to go with what you know, rather than what you hope for...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

I'm with Gary, I suspect the price is better where you live than on the road traveling. Especially with a MH, beginning a trip with a full propane tank will allow many nights of boondocking or free CG's, perhaps the entire trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

I guess the only reason I havent had it filled yet is because I normally get my propane from the local farmers co-op and I wasnt sure if they would have trouble filling a stationary tank that they cant weigh?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ask if they can sell propane "by volume" rather than "by weight". Most propane pumps have a gallon meter on them, but some places don't want to bother with reading it.

Propane prices will vary as much as $1/gal in different areas and different outlets in the same area, but in the big scheme of things, it's not a big deal. We always try to start with a full tank and usually refill somewhere just under a half tank, cause you never know when the next opportunity may be.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #6

propane cost

We did a trip from Texas to Alaska and back last summer. The cheapest we found it last summer was in Casper, WY, about $1.50/gal. There has been a huge natural gas discovery in that area of the country so supply is plentiful and transportation cost is minimal. Everywhere else we bought it was $3+/gal.
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #7

I fill my tanks at a loal PP gas outlet near our home. The last fill up the price was $3.45 per gal.( Dallas, TX area)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The price in CG's is often high, I mean "Captive Audience" and all that.

You might wish to visit Flying J and check on the fuel price button there.

Here in Eastern Michigan I just tanked up for 2.09/gallon.. But only one retailler has that price.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
this time of year i couldn't imagine using a whole tank
i have my local propane retailer drop by the house and top us off once i get to 1/2 and are heading out on a trip.
prices have been pretty good at 2.55 a gallon
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #10

To get an idea of what propane costs around the US you can go this this Flying J link and select the areas in which you expect to travel.
Flying J
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually the best place to buy is from a LP dealer, which is generally easy to find in smaller, rural communities. The next best would be at a Flying J and finally at an RV campground.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thing about Propane Dealers (Of the wholesale kind)

I priced propane in Seneca, SC.. The wholesaler, wanted more than the ACE hardware

However that low price I mentioned above ... That's a Propane wholesaler (Parker's Propane) in Flint, MI. The next best price I found was 2.79, 70 cents a gallon more.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #13

Any propane retailer that re-fills cylinders can re-fill your MH tank. The procedure is to begin filling, open the liquid-level valve and when liquid begins to spit stop the filling.Then the operator reads the gallons pumped on the meter, and asks for money. No weight involved, gallons is the measure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #14

Thanks for the replys I think I have plenty (1/2 tank) for our trip but It would be better to be safe than sorry so I will check the local LP dealer tomorrow