Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #1

Price panic time?

Well the price of oil has gone over $100/bbl, and will probably rise more so with the driving season (spring through fall) coming upon us. So there’s that.

But this is more interesting to me when it comes to the “solar and lithium” crowd…

Lithium Prices Skyrocket As China Cements Leadership Position

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ene...-Position.html

Anyone who is on the fence about getting lithium batteries, now might be a good time to invest in some. I checked Amazon today and the brand I was looking at is now not in stock. (And says they don’t know when they will get some). Last week… they had stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA61732A-0C49-4124-9F10-202DCDC061B4.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	358026  
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Q

If fuel prices get much worse, I think the days of the 13.5K mile summers $$$ are over...let the destination/longer stays camping begin.

As for the Lithium battery costs...the last set of 6V GC wet cell house batteries (6) were almost 10 years old at replacement (previous coach), so for our type of camping, the cost/benefit of lithium just isn't there. We have no solar.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #3

I live in the Keys and tourism is off the charts. Hate to be that guy but it's horrible.
So....I don't know what price will stop people from traveling but it ain't here yet.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Diesel now $4.09 a gallon in NM.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #5

Gas is $3.90 a gallon in MI. Just sold my MH and bought a trailer. Hope I made a good choice.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #6

At $2.50/gallon it cost about $3500 to go 10K miles at 7MPG. At $4 it would come to $5600 for the same miles.

An additional $1900 per year is not that big a deal in the RV world. That's only half a set of tires for a lot of us. I suspect fuel is somewhere between 5-8% of the cost of ownership for most of us.

Now if availability becomes an issue then that's a whole different issue.

We went to Ft Wilderness last week and every spot was taken and most of the parks were at max capacity. If there's a slow down, it hasn't made to Florida yet.

And to me, lithium batteries are for hard core boondockers. I can't remember the last time I spent the night not connected to FHU so I'm not much in the lithium battery market.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel price is just part of the big picture. Most everything else is going up. Food, campgrounds, service will cost more.

I just did the math for my wife and "she's" OK with the extra cost but it's coming out of MY bank account. She likes to take short trips to dog shows so on a per day basis it's substantially more.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Diesel now $4.09 a gallon in NM.
Diesel is $5 (plus or minus a little) here in California.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #9

Well we all have our breaking points so if one of them is fuel costs, so be it. In Hohenwald's example we're talking a bit over $5 a day.

The relatively low inflation we had during the pandemic, while consumer demand for lots of things increased (while the pandemic's effects lowered production of many of those things) eventually turned into inflation. Considering that the Prime Interest rate has been just above 0% for *a long time* I'd assert that this is a "pay me now or pay me later" thing, and we are paying later.

I understand that sudden price increases are undesirable. I'll have to work an extra 3 years, attempting to catch up with with losses for 2020/2021, and probably an addition year because of inflation. For those who are already retired, I appreciate the circumstance you're facing.

In the end RVing is an expensive hobby or lifestyle. And the costs are going up because all costs are going up.

Where's the Way Back Machine when we need it?
Old 03-02-2022, 02:41 AM   #10

Diesel is gonna get over $5 a gallon here eventually and is already at that in some places. My wife and I are still retiring end of this year and snow birding in Florida in 23. That's the plan. If it gets to where we can't afford the lifestyle we can always let the coach sit. We didn't buy our coach to let it sit. We have trips planned for this year and will go forward with them.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Price panic time?

For some , yes it will be panic time. Will everyone sell and stop traveling? No but it certainly should take some air out of the balloon. hopefully it won’t pop.
We are still planning an 8000 mile year going from Fl to the Northwest on a round the country route. About 1300 gallons of diesel for our rig. While I don’t like it we will continue. Availability is more of our concern.
Talking financial “head” on tv this am thinks $150- 200 oil at least for awhile is not totally out of the question. It’s already at $110. High oil in the 70’s adjusted for inflation would be about 140$ a barrel . 5 bucks will look cheap soon.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

An additional $1900 per year is not that big a deal in the RV world. That's only half a set of tires for a lot of us. I suspect fuel is somewhere between 5-8% of the cost of ownership for most of us.
Compare apples to apples. If that increase holds steady you're looking at roughly a $10,000 increase over the life of a set of tires- that's not insignificant to most people, or the only increase they have to deal with.

RVs are big ticket items, those never fare well in tumultuous economic times. Historically rapid fuel cost increases have decimated the RV industry. If this one continues it's hard to believe history won't repeat.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My prediction is that diesel prices will continue to climb. Who knows how much. Figuring it's at $5.10 a gallon now here in Calif, it will most likely rise to over $5.75 or more by summer. All due to inflation and world events of late.

So my Ford Superduty holds 38 gallons of fuel....that's $193.00 to fill it. Motorhomes would pay over $500 to fill their tanks here.

At some point I will pull the plug and sell the RV and the truck. Soon I'm thinking.

I am retired and on a fixed income.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #14

Think of the stupidity of the USA pushing for solar/etc and limiting fossil fuels.

90% of the materials to make lithium batteries and solar panels come from china. We dont have the raw materials to make either.

This is a great way to put china in a position of power over us...

And, they can raise prices at any time...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote