Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
M2D

Prices When Buying Used

We are trying to figure out how used fifth wheels are priced and how much of a discount to expect to get off of the listed price.

We are members at the RV.org consumers group and have the current update. They list what the typically equipped version of the unit sold for when new with the expected discounted price when bought new. I think they say to expect 23% off when buying new. I have read here that you might get up to 30% off from the msrp these days.

My husband has said that you can only compare what a new unit will cost to compared to what is asked for a used unit. He feels that trying to figure out what the used unit cost when it was new and then calculating a suitable depreciation is too difficult to do with any accuracy.

If we see a trailer listed used at a dealership what should we expect to be able to get off of the listed price? I also know that it is suggested here that we check NADA and Kelly guides. Is there a relatively standard amount that the dealers or consignment places mark up a unit? Would our insurance agent have professional versions of these guides? I saw somewhere that there are different versions of these guides.

AS a very rough view of the situation I sometimes think that we could buy a new unit for the same price someone is asking for a used one.

Also when you are talking about the really high end trailers like the New Horizon and the Excel how many years will they last? I understand that the more average trailers should last 15 years with proper care.

It seems as though there are a lot of trailers for sale from 2005-2008. Then there seems to be a gap until you get to just a few for sale from 2010 on. I imagine that the recession played a part in that.

If we buy a really good brand of fiver used I would still like it to be under five years old. We live in the Northeast if that figures into the equation advice wise.

I guess we are in the process and are very close to figuring out what sort of floor plan suits our needs.

You have all been such a wonderful help in answering our questions. I try to search the archives before asking questions that have already been answered in the past. I imagine that prices vary according to the part of the country you are in and the current economic times.

Thanks,

Michele
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

This is MHO here, but what i have done in the past was call my bank,credit union, and have a couple of units details on hand and ask what the loan value is. You can add about 10% to that price as they (bank, C.U.) will expect you to put as a down payment. There is always the Blue book as well to go by too. What ever you choose, just make sure the fridge works Perfect, and the water heater works like new as well and it has the floor plan you can work/live with! and last thing, MHOH, Never, ever pay more than 10% over "loan value", NEVER!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
M2D

Thank you, I had not thought of asking our credit union the loan value. That really gives you something to "hang your hat on".

Michele
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
M2D

Part of my confusion is whether it is better for a similar price to buy say a new Heartland Bighorn or a used Carriage Cameo, New Horizon, Excel for around the same money.

Hoe difficult is it to properly care for an Orphan brand like Carriage if there are no former dealers anywhere near where you live?

Michele
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would spend some time at RVTrader.com and see what RVs that you are interested in are going for right now!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

Or shop craigslist. I live in Oregon and 5th wheels are going cheap, seems no one wants to own a big truck to haul them around anymore. On the other hand shorter class c's are going for more than double book, go figure.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote