Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #43

Thanks for the clarification
Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #44

Don't ask, don't tell... Ignorance is bliss... on the dealers part....
Dealer probably bought cheap, didn't ask why... just trying to turn a profit.
Good thing you (and your DW) did the research. CONGRATS!!!!
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
I am wayyyyyy more cynical.
The dealer knew exactly what he was doing.
Buying factory defective, return for destruction, totaled, rigs. Maybe he buttered them up maybe not, but his intention all along was to pass off crap on an unsuspecting sucker.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #46

Would walk away too many used good TT’s out there. Soft floor may be easy to fix but may not be. If you have the talent and desire too start fixing from the start I bet you can find even better deals
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
I'll bet if you check their lot in another couple weeks to a month it will be listed again. Either that, or found at another lot being sold for the same price.
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #48

Rolling pile of _____ is todays RV industry

Yes we are at the mercy of the branders in the RV industry. They do their best to shirk responsibility for their design and implementation of the collection of stuff they put into the system. Oh the fridge broke its ...., oh the AC broke its..... oh the axle broke its ..... yea and we the consumers are willingly participating in paying mega bucks for a product that generally is not supported past 10 years go figure! I am amazed to see airplanes made in the 60s flying the sky (pvt) and yes an ecosystem supports them bigly. In the RV industry not so much. RVs seem to be viewed as disposable and a very limited life expectancy by the assemblers and by the consumer so carry on.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #49

enough repairs on new rigs

Let me start by saying this is a great forum and is so helpful in many regards.

We purchased a new 1028 Keystone Springdale 220 BHW model late last summer. We saved approximately 35% on a brand new rig. End of year deal and the fact Calgary and all of Alberta for that matter, is in a little bit of a slump right now. Toys are not moving. (We live in North Vancouver BC and to us the 12 hr. drive was worth it).
So you don't really want to get that same deal on a "used" unit. Expect better.
There were also the standard " sub-standard" issues. Leaky propane hose, pinched drain line from the bathroom sink to the grey holding tank, the bigger more time consuming issue was the drawer slides on the pull out kitchen assembly. Just plain broken. The opening was 1/4" too big and they installed it anyway. That caused the slide to come apart.

That's just a couple of the issues. I have repaired most of them myself and have a couple of minor things left to complete.

I absolutely refuse to let the dealer touch our unit. Yes, they would be warranty items, but I don't care.

Keystone sent me a Customer Satisfaction Survey shortly after our purchase, which I waited 7 months to complete as I wanted to find ALL of the issues so I could tell them EXACTLY what I thought.

Well, they responded to my survey answers by wanting me to call them. I haven't placed that call yet, not sure if I will, not sure what they can do as I refuse to take it in.

Should I call them??? Thoughts ??

My point is, there are enough issues with NEW rigs that you don't want to get stuck with a lemon on the used market unless you are prepared to do a lot of work AND the price is right. ( homework homework homework ) Well done Lleaff
Springdale22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
As others have implied there are many possible reasons that this trailer is covered.

IMHO you stated that the units you have looked into are older models. Who wouldn’t prefer new! This the reason why this unit is so appealing. The Outback 210URS has an msrp of $28,794, if you are able to get the owner to drop to below $20,000+- I would jump on it! That’s 30% off list and a better price than you would pay for one that is new. Forget the investigation. The warranty would be up next season anyway. After then you’d be on your own. Take two thousand and stick it in the bank. Something goes wrong draw from that fund.

Enjoy yourself....let’s go camping!
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijbs View Post
As others have implied there are many possible reasons that this trailer is covered.

IMHO you stated that the units you have looked into are older models. Who wouldn’t prefer new! This the reason why this unit is so appealing. The Outback 210URS has an msrp of $28,794, if you are able to get the owner to drop to below $20,000+- I would jump on it! That’s 30% off list and a better price than you would pay for one that is new. Forget the investigation. The warranty would be up next season anyway. After then you’d be on your own. Take two thousand and stick it in the bank. Something goes wrong draw from that fund.

Enjoy yourself....let’s go camping!
Better read the comments... turned out to be a flood damaged unit. Seller was trying to scam the OP.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #52

MSRP vs actual purchase purchase

Have yet to pay MSRP for a rig

End of season, brand spanking new units go for pretty lean prices to avoid holding on to the unit for 6 months plus not even thinking about the weather related issues.

Trailers seem to get well discounted from personal experience, as do the larger powered units. For some reason Class B, B+ and small C's not so much!

Remember once it is used the resale value dropped bigly. NADA has a pseudo indication for values though they seem to over discount the value as the coach ages and the market prices are actually higher!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwalkers View Post
I'll bet if you check their lot in another couple weeks to a month it will be listed again. Either that, or found at another lot being sold for the same price.

Yep, now that that I know what to look for its all very apparent. The unit I was looking at was shifted to his wife's Facebook account, and then a second account for himself has yet a different trailer listed.

What puzzles me is that everything is visible online. Her facebook lists that she is a professor at a local university, it also lists a part time gig they have selling things at flee markets. Pictures of them and their kids are visible to the public. If I were him I'd be worried someone I scammed would come back and cause issues.

I guess I simply need to slow down and watch. Both in terms of used and new. That's very hard for me. I'm excited to get this done... I usually do my research, figure out what I want and pull the trigger.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post

End of season, brand spanking new units go for pretty lean prices to avoid holding on to the unit for 6 months plus not even thinking about the weather related issues.

In your opinion is this 'end of season'? Or is it a little early yet?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In your opinion is this 'end of season'? Or is it a little early yet?

"Season" depends on where you are. In the more southern sates it's still "season". In Florida and other snowbird havens, the "season" hasn't yet begun - their big sales time is what the rest all winter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
"Season" depends on where you are. In the more southern sates it's still "season". In Florida and other snowbird havens, the "season" hasn't yet begun - their big sales time is what the rest all winter.

Quite obvious once pointed out... Thanks

I'm in Michigan

Tags
advice, purchase, scr, warranty