Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 12:29 AM   #1

Lightbulb Private RV Camp Site Rental Thoughts

Howdy!

I've never owned, driven, or even ridden in an RV so please excuse me if I'm misinformed at all or say something goofy. I am a RE investor in Texoma/N Texas with a focus on vacant land. I can't seem to let any of my vacant properties go. I am also too busy to start final development on most of my properties in the near future. Most are wooded but buildable/accessible residential parcels. Basically near a natural feature or in a city but usually screened with trees and brush. Sizes range from 6000 sq ft to 4 acres.

I would like to keep purchasing more vacant properties in the future, however property taxes are increasing and unused vacant land doesn't cash flow. Since most of my parcels have power, water, sewer access, (and most even have gigabit internet access) it occurred to me RV pads may be a great "interim" use. I can't find many independent RV pad sites in the area. Depending on parcel size, I may only have 1 or 2 RV pads per parcel. Reservations could be made online.

A few feasibility questions for the experts:

1. Is anyone interested in unique private RV pad rental sites, especially in the "Texoma" region or N. Texas?

2. What site features are most important to you? On-site Gazebo, bbq pit, water/power/sewer hookups?

3. Would you be ok with a compacted gravel pad or should the pad be concrete or asphalt?

4. Would you prefer a wooded lot in a city (walking distance from downtown) or a lot near a lake?

5. Is sewer access important? I'm betting it is for longer stays.

6. How long would you stay at one pad site (depending on amenities, etc.)?

Do you think this is a crazy idea? Please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas. Would be awesome to help the RV community and cover the taxes on some of my properties at the same time. Thanks a bunch

P.S. Just confirmed that RV camp site rental is permitted on at least one of my near-downtown lots. This would be about 900 feet from downtown.
techbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 04:53 AM   #2

I think free water, free electricity and an open sewer line in an urban setting would be more hassle for you than it would be worth.

I don't think dispersed sites like that would be worth the investment for RV sites. It's really not what most people look for. Park models or tiny houses could be rented short or long term and would be a lot better income stream.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:17 AM   #3

Before you invest in improvements for an RV pad you should check zoning requirements. Each local government may have different restrictions on RV parking.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #4

To get your feet wet in this project; find one of your lots that you can provide easy sewer hook up, electricity with 50 amp capacity and at least one frost proof water hook up connection. I think you will find a RV site like this will attract a longer term tenant, maybe $350/mo. you provide water and sewer, and they pay their own electric.
I think it's a great idea and may folks are just looking for a nice quiet place to plant their RV for a while.
okkhmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

Thank you for all of the advice!

Warrenjo, I actually have a 1/4 acre light industrial property virtually inside downtown Denison, TX. Most of the old industrial buildings have been knocked down and the area has filled back in with trees. A residential duplex would be the best long term use IMO however that requires a rezone. The property is too small for many/most industrial uses but RV rental pads are permitted. If the city allows me some flexibility on pad construction (gravel would be great) I'm thinking it may be a good use until the area is rezoned. Would need to place locks on electrical, water, and sewer. Access is great and there is probably enough room for 2 RV pads. I'm sure electrical capacity is virtually unlimited. The property already has water and city sewer/power are at the lot line. 5 minute walk to downtown, Eisenhower's birthplace, grocery store, etc. If this sounds interesting, I will talk to P&Z and see how much flexibility they can offer me.

Argosy, permanent housing would definitely attract a wider audience. ATM I just don't have the bandwidth to tackle another construction project right now and material prices are still sky-high here.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

Techbiker. Thank you for asking and thinking of us RV'ers.

!. Absolutely. I live in the Northwest but it's always good to know of places like you are thinking about when we travel.

2. all of those things you mentioned are great, for me, I think power would be very nice, water is great. And sewer is nice as well. If you have to dig lines for one you might as well do all three. Depends on how things are setup on your end. Gazebo, umm, nice but not necessary. BBQ pit is nice.

3. Personally, I am ok with good compacted rock, but, a concrete pad would be excellent. Asphalt would not stand up for very long with the high temperatures and the heavy weight of RV's. And, if someone does not use their pads for their stabilizing jacks, then it will sink into the asphalt. It might anyways on a HOT day.

4. Lot near a lake for sure for me. I am an Old style camper with a bread box full of amenities, lol. I was raised camping in tents. I still like tents with a good air mattress. I just need help these days getting up on to my feet, darn it anyway.

5. Yes, sewer is nice. I think I can go about a week before I have to empty my tanks. There are only the 2 of us and I haven't really tried to fill it all the way up and see how long it took. Families for sure would REALLY like sewer. Some parks have a truck that will come around and empty the tanks for you for a price. We stayed at one in Lake Havasu that had a truck. $10 to empty our tanks. That was 3 years ago or so.

6. Depending on what's available to do in the area. Our idea of a good RV trip is being able to stay 3 to 4 weeks and then move on. It's really going to be different for everybody including us. Just depends on what's going on and schedules if any.

No, not crazy at all. Excellent idea and if you can keep the cost of renting your sites down as much as possible we all can enjoy your thinking.
GO FOR IT. Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

This could be a great idea. Perhaps remote lockboxes like Airbnb uses could work to lock water, electric & sewer.

If the local temp housing market is tight could do well renting to temp workers (Travel Nurse, Tech Consultants, etc).

If close to major highway overnights could be popular to pull in dump tanks, recharge batteries & refill fresh water.

Of course if zoning and / or neighbors don't like you your SOL.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbiker View Post

I actually have a 1/4 acre light industrial property virtually inside downtown Denison, TX. Most of the old industrial buildings have been knocked down and the area has filled back in with trees.
Can you post a picture of your lot and surrounding area?

Most typical RVers would probably not want to stay in a industrial area downtown. Perhaps you could gear it to permanent workers in the area. 1/4 acre isn't very large for a RV park.

RVers going to Denison would probably lean toward staying on the lake.... Corp of Engineer or State Parks campgrounds.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Can you post a picture of your lot and surrounding area?

Most typical RVers would probably not want to stay in a industrial area downtown. Perhaps you could gear it to permanent workers in the area. 1/4 acre isn't very large for a RV park.

RVers going to Denison would probably lean toward staying on the lake.... Corp of Engineer or State Parks campgrounds.
Great input.

That was my thought twogypsies but without having owned an RV I didn't know. Probably just 2 RV pads on the Denison property. I just closed on 1 acre 1000 ft from the shore of lake Texoma with good lake access. The site comes with a lightly used septic system, shed, power drop, and water. I'd probably just need to refurbish the facilities and regrade the driveway to set this up for RV use.

The Denison LI property is 500/506 S Crockett Ave. LI is the zoning however there is virtually no more LI use in the area. Nearly 100% residential uses nearby now. 420 S Crockett was just renovated and is no longer a LI use. The building across the street is vacant and the other shop next door just serves as a corporate office. Google street view is outdated as the area is regentrifying. A bunch of updated bars, stores, and restaurants are just across the railroad. You can walk to the Eisenhower birthplace museum and grocery store. Natural area behind the lots.

Ken, great idea on the lockboxes. LI IMO is actually kind of a frustrating zoning district/use. Fortunately in Denison it specifically permits RV rental pads lol. Given this info, would you still lean towards the lake for the trial property?

Thank you Edge!
Old 06-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Not sure if it would be in line with your plans, but I’ve been using Hipcamp to find non-commercial camping spots and have found the experience to be very positive. Hipcamp matches private landowners with campers offering a diversity of amenities from completely dry camping to hookups of various kinds. I’ve been happy staying in remote locations with no services.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Not sure if it would be in line with your plans, but I’ve been using Hipcamp to find non-commercial camping spots and have found the experience to be very positive. Hipcamp matches private landowners with campers offering a diversity of amenities from completely dry camping to hookups of various kinds. I’ve been happy staying in remote locations with no services.
Great idea!

I will reach out to Hipcamp to see if any of my properties would be a good fit. Some of them are in politically conservative areas. Not sure all of the properties would be welcome on the Hipcamp platform (given the areas they are in), but I will look into it for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Tags
rental