Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I rarely sell anything private party, but I don't let anyone take a test drive without me.

If I had a short gasser and they assured me that they had driven a motor home before, I would have to use my best judgement and possibly let them drive. With that said, they wouldn't be driving my 40 DP just on their saying they know how. I would take them for a drive, showing them that everything works and they can drive it when they place their deposit.
I have a gasser and I had the same thought concerning the deposit.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #16

A bit off topic, but when I sold my Discovery it was to a couple from North Carolina. It was not just the test drive, there was a lot trust between parties, especially when it came to handing money over. I'm sure if checks bounced I could try to go after them, but if they were a con couple, they'd be long gone and my Discovery would be who knows where. That thought just came to me because I'm seeing a lot of advice being asked on selling RVs. Not just here, but on other forums. I'm just wondering if the bottom is about to fall out in the used RV world? There's still people buying new ones, but if they don't want to take what dealers are offering in trade there could opening here for con men.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You drive.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You drive.
As a buyer, I'd walk away. I want to feel the wheel. It's one of the reasons we usually buy from a dealer. Even used ones.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #19

I have sold lots of motorcycles. I give them 2 options for test rides:

Option 1. They can ride with me and we will go through the gears and let them feel that it runs, stops and does everything as it is supposed to.

Option 2. They put the full asking price in my hand in cash and they can take it on a solo ride. If they bring it back in the same condition as they left, I will give them the money back if they do not want it.

I have had a few people complain about my options, but not many. Only one or 2 have walked away. I always was able to sell the bike to someone else and I have never had a bike get dropped by someone who was a prospective buyer.

I have never sold a motorhome yet, but I intend to treat it the same way. There is simply too much that can go wrong and I am not willing to let it be put at risk. I do not care how much experience they say they have and I am not interested in what endorsements they have on their license. An experienced rider can slip and drop a bike in a parking lot. I have done it myself. Anything can happen and I am not willing to expose myself to any circumstances which may be difficult or expensive to resolve later. If they do not understand, then let them go to a dealership. Somoene else will buy it!

Good luck!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
You drive out, and they drive back.

NEVER let them drive it without you inside.

I know someone that lost their rig to a phoney "test driver" They left, and never returned!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I sold my 99 40' Country Coach about 2 months ago.After about an hour I felt confident that he was seriously interested in buying it.And he was qualified to drive it.I drove it out and he drove it back.He did buy it.It was helpful to let him drive it.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
As a buyer, I'd walk away. I want to feel the wheel. It's one of the reasons we usually buy from a dealer. Even used ones.
Totally understand, have a nice life. I sold my mom's coach for her. I drove out, got to a rest area, and offered to let them drive. Few took me up on it. I have no idea what the wheel will tell you. I can let go and you can watch it track straight. It's not shaking, it brakes straight. Most people understand 'you wreck it, even a little, you bought it'. I don't want to be out my money and making loan and insurance payments while it sits in the body shop for months after some "sure, I can drive this" bounces it off something, not to mention the hit to my rates. Sorry. Later.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Also, for what it's worth, I did call my insurance company asking if it would be ok for my son to drive our MH without adding him as another driver. The answer was a bit evasive but they said he would be covered ONLY if it were on an occasional basis. So that tends to support your "Insurance follows the vehicle" statement. But I think this is a bit off track. I'd asked and was shown proof of insurance. If the buyer wants to argue with me about that he would have driven a long way for no test ride. I get to make that rule.
Just an FYI, insurance does follow the vehicle. Rental car policies are different in that they are commercial for profit companies and your personal insurance will cover you. They ask to see proof that you do in fact have insurance and to make sure your deductible and policy max are adequate per their regulations.

As far as them driving is concerned, well, only after we agree on price, repairs and all inspections have passed with the pending test drive.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Just an FYI, insurance does follow the vehicle. Rental car policies are different in that they are commercial for profit companies and your personal insurance will cover you. They ask to see proof that you do in fact have insurance and to make sure your deductible and policy max are adequate per their regulations.

As far as them driving is concerned, well, only after we agree on price, repairs and all inspections have passed with the pending test drive.
So, you're contending that rental cars are only available for people who have an insured car elsewhere? What about all the people who don't own cars that rent on vacations?

The only thing that my personal insurance has to do with me renting a car is that some policies, like mine, extend comp/collision to cars I rent. This prevents me from having to purchase the extra coverage for the rental car.
The liability is held by the owner of the vehicle under normal circumstances.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #25

Odd. You said ďyou driveĒ and then said you pulled over and offered to let them drive. Whatever, have a nice life yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Totally understand, have a nice life. I sold my mom's coach for her. I drove out, got to a rest area, and offered to let them drive. Few took me up on it. I have no idea what the wheel will tell you. I can let go and you can watch it track straight. It's not shaking, it brakes straight. Most people understand 'you wreck it, even a little, you bought it'. I don't want to be out my money and making loan and insurance payments while it sits in the body shop for months after some "sure, I can drive this" bounces it off something, not to mention the hit to my rates. Sorry. Later.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
.. However, when you drive somebody else's vehicle, you are also a party to any liability action that may occur as a result of your actions while driving. So yes, asking if the buyer has insurance with "drive other car" privileges is appropriate. Besides, that also covers damage to your coach if he causes it. Better his insurance pays than yours!
Exactly. Thank you Gary. I knew I knew what I was talking about. I didn't work for a lawyer who dealt with automobile accident claims & not learn anything. If a potential driver doesn't have insurance, they aren't test driving MY RV.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #27

These are ALL great responses. Y'all have provided me with a lot of info to discuss with my husband before we decide to sell. I just feel like the dealer gets so much more than we actually do if we trade.
Thank you sooooo much. I just love this forum.
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
So, you're contending that rental cars are only available for people who have an insured car elsewhere? What about all the people who don't own cars that rent on vacations?

The only thing that my personal insurance has to do with me renting a car is that some policies, like mine, extend comp/collision to cars I rent. This prevents me from having to purchase the extra coverage for the rental car.
The liability is held by the owner of the vehicle under normal circumstances.
That's not what I said. If you have full coverage on your car and you go to rent a vehicle your insurance will cover it. If you do not have a car and insurance than the car rental will either not rent to you or make you buy their insurance policy.

Point is, if you are selling a car or as in this case, an rv, then asking the prospective buyer for proof they have insurance is silly because the insurance is with the rv.

If I borrow a car from a friend and get into an accident the insurance is with the car not mine.