Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power

I have 2 6v T-105 Trojans, in great shape. I am considering a new converter/charger to replace my Magnatec 950a, which works OK, but may not be charging the batteries up fully with the generator. I don't remember seeing over 13.5 during charge. I suspect they made it to do a "normal" charge rate (13.5), then drop off to a trickle (13.2), like what the manual says. That would take many hrs to charge my batteries during dry camping, even being as frugal with power use.

Would this be sufficient: Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power RV Converter PD9260c, which is a 60amp. Its only $152 delivered.

New Progressive Dynamics Inteli Power 60Amp RV Converter with Charge Wizard | eBay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Read the manual.
Get the pendent if it doesn't come with it...
Read Charge Wizard RV Battery Charging and Battery Monitoring Products from Progressive Dynamics
The PD92XX charge at 14.4 until the battery is about 90%. That is about as good as you can do without hurting the battery.

Matt
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
The PD 9200-series converters have the Charge Wizard function built in. The 9100-series did not and required the Charge Wizard add-on to function as a multi-mode smart charger.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yes.... I researched it all out, and will get the 60amp. Their site said typical efficiency was >80%....so the 60amp should do nicely.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you were to ask me for a recommendation for a converter to use with your batteries... That is the exact unit I'd recommend.

So yes, it is sufficient.

Now, that said... On my coach (Same amount of battery) they put on a 9180 with wizard (Equal to a 9280) however the proper maximum size is around 70... My coach has a BIRD so the chassis battery gets the extra 10 amps if needed.

Still.. I would recommend the 60 amp model for both of us if I were asked.

And the PDI 9200 series.,.,,,, very very very hard to beat, None better, several in the same quality band but none better.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 9260c with the monitor. I am also getting 60w of portable solar panels ($200) to use during the daytime. So I think I should be set for the few days boondocking between FHU sites.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Now I have a question about these converters. We have the 9280 unit currently installed in our fifth wheel with 2 flooded cell 6v batteries. If we upgrade to AGM type batteries will this converter be OK for the AGM charge requirements too? The bulk/absorb voltage range is 14.2 - 14.4 and the float range is 13.2 - 13.4. So this is slightly different from the Progressive specs for the 9280 and I see no way of changing the charge settings. Does the Charge Wizard do this automatically based on the battery?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mixed answers on AGM.. first,,, I will tell you I do not think AGM's are worth the added bucks in most installations.. but then what do I know (Many hours of research and study).

AGM's need SLIGHTLY different (I think it is like .1 or .01 volt higher) charge settings, you can not re-program a wizard easily and PDI does not make one for AGM..

BUT.. The Wizard is a 3-stage PLUS controller and the PLUS, will fix it for you after 20 hours.

Folks who have switched from flooded wet to AGM with the PDI wizard controlled converters have reported no problems, good results.

So the best information I can find is that it will work well.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Mixed answers on AGM.. first,,, I will tell you I do not think AGM's are worth the added bucks in most installations.. but then what do I know (Many hours of research and study).

AGM's need SLIGHTLY different (I think it is like .1 or .01 volt higher) charge settings, you can not re-program a wizard easily and PDI does not make one for AGM..

BUT.. The Wizard is a 3-stage PLUS controller and the PLUS, will fix it for you after 20 hours.

Folks who have switched from flooded wet to AGM with the PDI wizard controlled converters have reported no problems, good results.

So the best information I can find is that it will work well.
Thanx, this is great information to me. I have also done some research on batteries as well and run into people who have had premature failure on AGMs. Usually when you read through their scenario there is no explanation of why they failed, this could explain at least some cases I'm sure.

I know my luck on this if I were to try it let's just say, I would not be one of those that would report no problems. Due to the added cost of AGMs, I will not end up experimenting.

Thanx again wa8yxm. Happy New Year to you
Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
OK.... I installed the New Progressive in place of the Magnetek. All went well. The 15w solar panel had been plugged into the batteries (thru the cigar lighter socket with 12 gage wires) for several days prior, and the dash mounted LED volt meter (directly to the house batteries) read 12.5v.

After the install, I fired up the 7000 Onan, and waited about 5 min for everything to settle down. The dash meter immediately went to 13.5v and after a few minutes, went up to 13.86v.... and never got any higher.

Over the next 1/2hr I took readings at the unit, which was 14.4v (boost mode). I cycled the unit with the optional wizard button/light box that came with the unit. That all worked as advertised, dropping down, 13.6v, then to 13.2v, and back to 14.4v boost.

Readings at the batteries during the boost mode only got to 13.86v on the terminals, and the same on the cables (made sure all was clean, and no loss thru those connections).

Shouldn't I be getting 14.4v at the battery terminals ??? or would the voltage finally work up to 14.4v after charging for a longer time, like say an hour or 2 ?? or is there a loss along the way from the unit ??

If I 'should' be getting 14.4v right away, then I'd better start tracing the cables from the unit all the way up to the batteries. Right??

Tags
power