Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Just ordered a pt50c today. Long overdo. Better late than never. I feel safer already.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #16

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the information, we are looking for new surge protection.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

Buy Quality (made in USA to start with) get Quality. I never leave home without mine, matter of fact I have my protection 100% of the time.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #18

Always liked the look of the progressive dynamics surge protectors, now hearing such overwhelming praise about a great quality product with superb customer service, definitely sold Us on getting one!

Apart from a great product its the customer service that really sells this product, now to go and protect the home!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to tag onto this thread- I returned mine too and got a replacement free as well. As it turned out- the replacement did the same thing (shut off power to the coach with an "error 7"). This means hz. in excess of 60. I really don't think that was the issue but there is something strange about the particular spot I stayed in. I have not had this problem anywhere else I've been, including any other space in that same park. I'm just glad the surge protector shut off when it detected something was wrong.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Just ordered a pt50c today. Long overdo. Better late than never. I feel safer already.
Cliff...why are you not installing the hard wired one?

I just decided on the hard wired one. But I see you are getting the portable one. Now I'm back thinking again......

This is what I was just about to order....

30 Amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C (I am giving CW a chance to price match first)

Issues:

1) fishing the 13' cord up to the galley wall for the remote readout
2) no power if the unit fails, I know there is a bypass, but.....
3) hard wiring it (dear friends know how to do that, but I hate to impose)

Talk to me Cliff...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Cliff...why are you not installing the hard wired one?

I just decided on the hard wired one. But I see you are getting the portable one. Now I'm back thinking again......

This is what I was just about to order....

30 Amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C (I am giving CW a chance to price match first)

Issues:

1) fishing the 13' cord up to the galley wall for the remote readout
2) no power if the unit fails, I know there is a bypass, but.....
3) hard wiring it (dear friends know how to do that, but I hate to impose)

Talk to me Cliff...
My transfer switch is under a drawer as well as the converter. I tried , but there is no room for the surge protector. Some have mounted the unit in the basement but my power cord is in the wet utility basement( go figure ). Progressive agreed with me that it would not be healthy to install the unit there. Therefore I went with the portable one. I plan to mount it in the above mentioned basement. I will splice a male and female plug into the power cord. If the unit fails and has to be sent back, I simply remove it and connect the plugs. I can also take it with me to my next MH someday if I choose to. Hope that explains it, Kent.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My transfer switch is under a drawer as well as the converter. I tried , but there is no room for the surge protector. Some have mounted the unit in the basement but my power cord is in the wet utility basement( go figure ). Progressive agreed with me that it would not be healthy to install the unit there. Therefore I went with the portable one. I plan to mount it in the above mentioned basement. I will splice a male and female plug into the power cord. If the unit fails and has to be sent back, I simply remove it and connect the plugs. I can also take it with me to my next MH someday if I choose to. Hope that explains it, Kent.
Yes, Sir, It does. And that's exactly what [I](I plan to mount it in the above mentioned basement. I will splice a male and female plug into the power cord. If the unit fails and has to be sent back, I simply remove it and connect the plugs)[/I] I was going to do with the portable unit. My Genny plugin and the actual shore cord itself both are the same junction box on the utility side of the wall between the utility bay and the generator bay. So I was thinking, why not just wire in another male and female plug and keep it in the utility bay?

Thanks for the response...now I am re-considering.....

I AM going to get one of them though....imminently....

Thanks Cliff!!

Kent
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am waiting for mine to come in the mail as we speak. I ordered the HW 50 amp w/o the remote. I plan on mounting it in the same location as the transfer switch. I think I will be using alil wire off the end of my power cord. My MH is in storage right now, so I have to just think it will work there for now. I own a 2003 national Dolphin 36'. I am thinking of just disconnecting the power cord from the outlet of the transfer switch and using a piece of cord to hook up the surge protector. It appears that in order to HW it in, you must wire it directly to your power cord. Why or how is it that you are putting a female and a male on each end of your power cord. Am I missing something? The unit I am buying from Tweety's is a Progresssive Ind. EMS-LCHW50C for $299. The place I first saw it advertised was TechnoRV, but they wanted $389, for the exact same one. TechnoRV was going to send me a "free" 3' piece of cord, to make the connection. I would be very grateful if you wouldn't mind posting a picture of your connection and the use of your "female and male" connection cord. Was my cost for the unit close to the price you paid? Thanks again for the post.....Dang, I'm long winded!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, I just ordered the Progressive Industries 30 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C for the coach. Dear Friends are gonna hard wire it in for me. Wish me luck! I also hope I don't have any problem running the line up to the wall, beside the tank monitor....hmmm....
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Ok, I just ordered the Progressive Industries 30 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C for the coach. Dear Friends are gonna hard wire it in for me. Wish me luck! I also hope I don't have any problem running the line up to the wall, beside the tank monitor....hmmm....
Good luck Kent. I just installed my 50 amp portable and feel safer. I can't believe how lucky I've been traveling to 49 States and 10 Provinces and never had an issue that caused me any problems. I've had low voltage, but was aware due to indoor meters and dealt with it by shuting down my appliances my self. It's so nice to know that my surge protector will do that for me now as well as all the other protection it affords.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll be installing mine on the weekend. I talked to Progressive and know exactly how I'm going to do the main box, but need more input on the remote display.

Thanks, Cliff!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive EMC Remote Display Location ? ?

Anyone mounted their Remote Display inside the coach? Progressive said usually people just mount it so that it is easily read when I plug in to shore power......which would be down in the utility bay next to the unit.

I was thinking of mounting it in the house, next to the tank monitor panel....anyone?? Ideas??

30 Amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #28

I installed the EMSHW-50C in my 5ver this last weekend, I was very Lucky my power cord came lose at the female end shorted out the microwave
and a wine cooler but lucky that was all, if you have any trouble with power turn off breaker at shore power pole and unplug, as I was trying to
figure out what was wrong checking the female end the cord came right out of the end of the plug on to the wet grass don't know what would have happened if power would have still been in that cord I was glad it was not plugged in.
I checked It out today works great I have the remote display which has
the bypass switch on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3030026.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	18757   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090044.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	18758