Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Have had Progressive on the MH for the last 5 years and no rate increases. Had a claim from Tornado damage 3 years ago which they took care of very fast. Lost a windshield, awning, slide out awning, and skylite in shower. They fixed it and no deductible. Just lost a windshield on the driver side, called and replaced, ne deductible. They have been great for us.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
It has an internal combustion engine, wheels and rolls down the road under it's own power.
Why would it NOT be considered an auto?
At what point is it no longer an auto?
Take an F-350 and put a camper-shell in the bed... Now it's no longer an auto? Take the same truck, remove the bed and bolt a house to it?
The point is Progressive were deceptive about not being clear what constitutes an RV and what constitutes an automobile.
When you apply to whichever insurance company you decide to switch too, try and insure your motor home as an auto. Let us know how you make out.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
When you apply to whichever insurance company you decide to switch too, try and insure your motor home as an auto. Let us know how you make out.
I dont think it is an auto however I have an auto licence plate on it and pay the same rate for the licence as our car.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
why wait for the policy to expire. Most policies I have dealt with you can cancel at anytime and get a refund for unused amount if you pay full year/6 months up front.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Progressive doubled the premium on our RV after two years, no claims against them from us, and no explanation from them. I insured with SF when the policy expired with Progressive, and have been satisfied with their rates. I have not had a claim with State Farm, and have only had premium increases of a few dollars a year for the past four years that I have had them as my insurer. I hope I never need to file a claim to check out how they will handle one.
So, Mr. Clacker, what exactly are you insuring with SF? They will not insure my class c!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #20

yes same thing here with me RV policy does NOT classify as an auto policy
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
So, Mr. Clacker, what exactly are you insuring with SF? They will not insure my class c!
I have our homeowners policy on our home, full coverage on our 2004 Allegro class A motorhome, full coverage on our 09 Honda CRV, and full coverage on our 2010 Ranger pickup. By full coverage, I mean Public Liability and property damage, collision, comprehensive, uninsured motorists, as well as a small ($5000.) medical coverage. I reside in Montana, and get a pretty good discount by having everthing insured by the same company. Some states or areas may have restrictions on what they will insure for whatever reasons. As stated before, I haven't had a claim for any damages, but so far I am very satisfied with State Farm, their rates here are competitive with with other carriers.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #22

I had State Farm for my 3 cars and travel trailer for several years. The agent was great until my daughter had an at-fault accident. Because we only had liability, they didn't want to know.

Now, I know they weren't liable but they survive by their customer service but would not even help in finding a repair facility.

Next renewal (just for grins), I went to Geico.com and fifteen minutes later had save over $1,000 for the cars. Not wanting to just dump SF, I contacted them, telling them what Geico was offering. He agreed to check into it....

A few days later, he called back, saying if we could get our daughter's high school report, she may qualify for the good student discount. About $75 a year.

I asked if he was able to do anything on the other cars.... Click...

The guy just hung up on me!!!!!

I switched to Geico.

In December 2012, my car was totaled when someone ran a red light. I was very pleased with how Geico handled my claim although that one was a no-fault and I have comprehensive coverage.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #23

I have been with State Farm for 42 years, I have always insured everything I own thru them. I have had two RV's and a boat insured thru them over the years with no issues. They got a good deal only three claims in 42 years, one stolen car and two minor accidents that we were not at fault. Currently we have two houses, three cars, a motorcycle, and now the new MH insured thru State Farm. I have never looked elsewhere and was thinking of doing so just to keep them honest until I read this post.

I am suprised to hear that someone could not get their RV insured by State Farm. There was never a question about them insuring our MH, I called before we purchased and they gave us several quotes based on the msrp. It's based on the msrp because State Farm will replace the MH if totaled within so many years at whatever the replacement cost is minus your deductable. When we made the purchase the actual price to insure the MH was a few dollars less than quoted.

Yeah the price may creep up a few dollars here and there, but that is expected. We are in this program where you report your mileage every so often and it actually keeps the cost down for the most part. We had one car where it actually went up $40 per year, but some of the others went down.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
An RV policy is not an auto policy. It may be issued by an auto insurance company, but it is no more an auto policy than is your boat policy. I do think the rep that sold you the homeowners policy should have been able to tell you that at the time you applied for the policy. Sometimes they forget what is a "no brainer" for them is Greek to most of their customers.

Every insurance related post starts or ends with someone lamenting a bad experience, and for every bad experience you'll find someone else that's in love with that same company. I think most customer complaints, be it related to an insurance policy, the purchase of a car or ordering a hamburger at your favorite fast food joint, stem from a failure to communicate and/or manage expectations. That is on the business, but it can be challenging (the voice of 30 years experience in insurance).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #25

I actually like Geico. I've had 2 claims with them (one totaled car and a boat with a blown motor). Both were handled well by Geico.
My homeowners insurance was through Geico but actually underwritten by Liberty Mutual.
Earlier this year, I was reviewing my mortgage account and saw that they had popped my homeowners insurance 30% for each of the last 3 years and NEVER NOTIFIED ME.
I contacted Liberty Mutual and told them to let me know of any future premium increases. They sent me a notice at renewal time... Another 30% increase. I then got the quote from Progressive and called my mortgage company to advise that I was changing insurers and not to pay Liberty Mutual.
They advised me that the payment to LM had already been processed. They were able to stop the check.
That's just another example of insurance shady practices.

BTW: the quote from Progressive even after removing the multiple-policy discount was still $500 LESS than Liberty Mutual's latest premium.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
Have had Progressive for 10 years now, Lowest rate I can get anywhere and prompt no hassle service on 2 claims, never had a rate increase, actually has gone down...
Thanx Progressive!
Haven't had Progressive for 10 years but four now, two claims (1 not at fault) but never any rate increases, have actually went down. Good service and easy to deal with them. Guess time will tell as is the case with any and all insurance companies.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #27

A RV policy is definitely not the same as a auto policy.

Every so often someone starts a post about changing insurance companies because of such and such. An insurance policy is not a one for all. Everyone will be different in costs depending on age, driving record, amounts of insurance and many other reasons.

Also, insurance rates are not a stable thing. When they go up it's time to do some research for a better deal. They're out there. Then after a few years your rates go up again...then do another change. We are not loyal to any one company. We shop around and get the best deal.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Insurance companies are all over the place. I grew up with State Farm, on my parent's policy, until I was 18 and got my own with State Farm. We had our house, cars, RV and boat with them. After 20 years when my daughters reached driving age, I increased my coverage and began paying extra for them to drive on my policy. After the initial quote, my policy went up every six months. I questioned my long time agent about the increases and he told me it wouldn't happen again. Guess what.

I was discussing this with our friends who had kids and were in the same situation. They brought up a great point....insurance companies will NEVER show an allegiance to you, why show one to them.

I called AAA (a non profit organization) and changed all of my insurance over to them, except the motor home. I immediately saved a $1000.00 a year. AAA didn't insure motor homes at that time. I bought a separate policy for the RV with Progressive. They were good for four years and then started with large unexplained explained increases (this was posted by many several years ago when this happened). I called AAA and they were now insuring RV's. My policy went from $1400.00 a year to $1000.00.

Note: Insurance coverage has a lot to do with claims you make and credit rating. My credit rating has always been 780+ and I made my first insurance claim, in 30 years, last year when I broke the motor home windshield.

When I left State Farm after 20+ years, the agent wasn't even courteous enough to call and say a word.

So the point.....shop around every year, if you're not getting the best deal, move on. They may say they're giving you longevity discounts, but they'll be increasing your policy elsewhere.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance