Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke
This summer we stayed at a private campground that charged $2.00/day extra for using an air conditioner. That was in addition to the $30/day site fee. Fortunately, it was fairly cool the four days we were there, so we didn't need the a/c. We had made the reservations well in advance, but I don't remember whether we were told in advance about the extra fee or not. I just checked their website, and the home page says $30.00 night every night all season long. On the reservation page it shows $2.00 per night additional fee for a/c.
So did the manager come around each day to make sure you didn't run your ac?
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #30

I haven't seen a park yet that says no electric heaters, so I have to ask. Are they using those exact words or are they saying no portable electric heaters? If indeed it's no electric heaters then whine away, it it's no portable electric heaters then they're probably doing it as an insurance requirement to reduce liability for accidental fires. Many marinas have similar restrictions to limit the number of fires from unattended portable heaters on boats.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #31

New Horizons Owners Club
I guess, if a park restricts the use of a particular item, I would honor their rules. However, I would be looking for a more accommodating facility.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #32
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never hear of such requests. I have to agree with other that I feel I must honor the rules of the park. But I would have an issue if it was tossed in my face at check in. I expect I get what is committed when I pay for full hookups. Are the doing to limit the amount of get and black waist I can use next. Monitor that

I may start confirming expectations when I make my reservations. I will challenge them if the rules change at checking.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pretty soon they will add for using your elecric water heater. they will nickle and dime you like all other business, airlines, repair shops, etc. it is just the way of doing buisness anymore.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as people stay at RV parks that charge extra fees and pay then it will continue. If people choose RV parks that don't then it will stop. The choice is yours
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
No matter whether it is reasonable or not, IMO, a business owner has every right to put whatever restrictions they want on services. If a cg, for instance says no dogs allowed, then no dogs are allowed. We are renting services. If that service is somehow restricted then our choice is to not rent there.
....... The business owner does not wish to rent electricity to run heaters. To me, his business, his rules. Others may disagree.
Happy New Year.
I do not quite agree.
When they supply you with a 30 amp hook up it would seem that 30 amps at any time is your limit.
This is like saying:
A gallon of milk here is $3. you can only buy $1 worth each day.
We only sell it in gallon jugs.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
We're staying in a CG outside Manvel, Tx. I found this CG on line and they even call themselves a Resort. Monthly rate was listed as $275 plus electric. So we pulled up and they said because I have a BIG RV I would use too much electric power and I had to pay $350 a month plus electric at 18c a Kw. (each site is metered) I argued that if I'm paying for the electric why do I have to pay extra? But to no avail. We're leaving next week and will find another park in the area when we are back in this area in Febuary. I will be sure and let them know why I'm not returing to their very nice RV Resort. $75 isn't going to kill me but it's just the way they did it.
You should definitely write a review of this CG on the various review websites, so others will know not to stay there. I can understand if they need to charge for metered electricity or have an up charge for a big rig's electrical use, but how do they justify both??? I am ok with adders if I am told about them when I call to check on site availability or I make reservations.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I have stayed at enough CG's that do list they charge extra for A/C or heater use, that I always ask when I make reservations. This way it's not sprung on me at check in. I may not like that they do this, but I have the choice to stay or go to another CG. By making my reservation with those that do charge, I agreed to adhere to their rules.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they're trying to restrict the use of he portable electric heaters it's a moot question - it's unenforceable. Heat pumps on the hand, are like air conditioners, it is easy to tell when they are being used. If they are trying to restrict heat pumps that too is basically unenforceable. Instead of running the heat pumps you run portable heaters once again making the issue moot. Portable heaters are usually quieter than the portable heaters anyway.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I haven't seen a park yet that says no electric heaters, so I have to ask. Are they using those exact words or are they saying no portable electric heaters? If indeed it's no electric heaters then whine away, it it's no portable electric heaters then they're probably doing it as an insurance requirement to reduce liability for accidental fires. Many marinas have similar restrictions to limit the number of fires from unattended portable heaters on boats.

Ken
I wonder if this is not the motive behind their request. I have not stayed at a CG that restricts electric heaters or portable electric heaters so I don't know the real motive. If it's portable electric heaters I could understand the fire hazard concern.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed in a campground in the mid-West on a pleasant early summer day. Because we had two A/C units on the roof, they charged us extra for A/C even though we didn't need it or use it. But just because we had the units on our motorhome. Then adding insult to injury, the whole CG lost water for an entire day. I'd give this CG a minus 10.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
Outside my RV = Park Rules
Inside my RV = My Rules
Very well said.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #42

I will of course obey the rules of any given campground, but I would avoid such campgrounds just on general principles.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote